Cooking Tofu

Options
adelemia
adelemia Posts: 12 Member
Hi all,

I recently went to Indonesia and ordered a vegetarian curry which was served with tofu. I really enjoyed it and it was the first time i'd tasted tofu.

I bought some while shopping and I am googling recipes but nothing floats my boat.

So... anyone got a good, easy, YUMMY recipe which includes tofu?

Replies

• Penny_Harrison
    Penny_Harrison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is called an indonesian coconut curry, I havent tried it but my sister in law is Indonesian so I have quite a few different recipes saved on my computer should I ever have the pleaure of cooking for her!!!
    1 14 ounce can low fat coconut milk
    2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
    1 stalk lemon grass, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon ginger, grated
    1/4 cup cilantro
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon coriander, ground
    1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    1 bunch scallions, sliced
    1 pound of firm tofu, cut in small cubes
    1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms
    1 red pepper, sliced thin2 cloves garlic, finely diced
    3 cups white, brown or black rice, cooked*

*optional

Place the coconut milk, tomatoes, lemongrass, ginger and cilantro in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Season with the turmeric, cumin, coriander, soy sauce and sesame oil, stir and bring to a boil. When the coconut curry sauce boils, turn heat down to low and simmer for at least 10 minutes.

While the coconut curry sauce is simmering, place the sesame oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu, mushrooms and sliced bell pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes, flip and add the garlic. Cook the tofu, mushrooms, bell pepper and garlic for about 3 minutes more, or until the tofu is browned and cooked through.

Place the browned tofu and veggies into the coconut curry sauce. Stir to combine, divide into 4 portions and enjoy over cooked white, brown or black rice.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Before you stir fry tofu.. make sure that you use extra firm, then slice it and layer it between paper towels and weight with a plate in the fridge for a few hours. It will fry more crisp.

If you have a turbo blender, you can blend it up with a packet of French onion or ranch dip and mix it with a package of thawed (drained) frozen spinach for a good quiche filling. Use phyllo for a low cal crust. Bake at 350 for 10 - 15 mins.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Before you stir fry tofu.. make sure that you use extra firm, then slice it and layer it between paper towels and weight with a plate in the fridge for a few hours. It will fry more crisp.

That's a good tip on frying tofu... thanks. I like to put little cubes of fried tofu on my salads kinda like croutons so the crispier the better.
  • rowanstuff
    Options
    A long time ago I purchased some "Prepared One Skillet Meal for Tofu"

I realized what it really was. Tofu Helper!

It was goooood.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I like to drain it as previously mentioned and then grill it.

A well-seasoned cast iron pan also works. Get it really hot. With tofu, you don't have to worry about the middle being raw like you would with meat. Sear the tofu in a really hot pan, flip it, make sure you get all the sides, and then set it aside until you're ready to eat it. Don't let it sit in sauce or anything with too much liquid or it will waterlog the crispiness.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i just bake extra firm tofu till it's firmer, then use it in just about any sauce on veggies or rice.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I like to use Extra Firm Sea-Fu which has sea vegetables (seaweed - 5 kinds) in it. Better flavour, more nutrients, and I like it cubed and marinated in Bragg's Aminos and Franks Hot Sauce before throwing in my stir fries.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cut it into cubes. Cut up some onions and garlic and grill them in a frying pan with some oil or fat.
  • Mary8812443132
    Options
    Hi dear
    This social network have many recipe with tofu and...visit it

Link: http://foodeaser.com/en/recipes/?s=tofu
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is pretty tasty and easy: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1262640/tofu-and-asparagus-pad-thai

It's also good in Thai green curry - press it between kitchen towel to get as much water out as possible and firm it up, then slice and fry. Set aside while you make the rest of your curry (Thai green paste, coconut milk, red peppers, red onion, asparagus, baby sweetcorn) then throw it back in to heat up before serving.

Mapu dofu would be OK if you measure the oil carefully and maybe add/serve with extra vegetables. http://whattocooktoday.com/ma-po-tofu-grandma-chens-bean-curd.html
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Thai green curry.

I use a ready made paste from an Asian food store. Stir fry the tofu and put aside. Stir fry choice of veggies (baby corn, sugar snap peas, peppers, etc). Add coconut milk and curry paste and heat through. Add tofo and stir gently (or it can break up). Serve with jasmine rice.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer to steam the tofu, I think I'm rare in enjoying it's more 'natural' texture. I love it best in Tom Kha soup.
  • veggieluvr45
    veggieluvr45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like to freeze extra firm tofu, then thaw and squeeze the water out. It gets a wonderful chewy texture and gets really crisp if you fry or bake it. It really changed my whole outlook on tofu.:smile:
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I make this tofu breakfast burrito filling a lot, but I eat them for dinner as well. It is very good. I add soy sauce or tamari instead of salt, and put hot sauce over the burrito.

http://ohsheglows.com/2012/02/23/high-protein-vegan-breakfast-burrito/

I like to make a batch on Sunday and I have enough for the week!

This recipe for chicken mango curry is amazing with tofu instead of chicken. It is very easy to make, too: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/mango_chicken_curry/
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Here is a tasty recipe that is pretty easy and quick.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/10/spicy-sriracha-tofu-peanut-butter.html
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options

If you have a turbo blender, you can blend it up with a packet of French onion or ranch dip and mix it with a package of thawed (drained) frozen spinach for a good quiche filling. Use phyllo for a low cal crust. Bake at 350 for 10 - 15 mins.

mmmm silken tofu blended with onion soup mix to dip chips in ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

but that quiche sounds amazing too
  • JamieJam1102
    JamieJam1102 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I really like adding tofu to any soup - just let it boil for a bit.

Another thing I like doing is getting some Silken Tofu - slice in reasonable portions. Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, a teeny bit of sugar, spring onions, and toasted sesame seeds. Pour soy sauce mixture over sliced tofu, and serve with fresh rice and pickled cucumbers. Yum!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,625 Member
    Options
    Ma Po Tofu is my favourite tofu dish.

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/tof1/r/mapotofu.htm
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I like to freeze extra firm tofu, then thaw and squeeze the water out. It gets a wonderful chewy texture and gets really crisp if you fry or bake it. It really changed my whole outlook on tofu.:smile:
    thanks I might finally try cooking it now.