Like so many of you, I'm starting over.....again

Options
Hi. I've been overweight for most of my life. I'm 57. Back in 2007 I decided to try once again to lose the excess weight that I had been carrying around for way too long. I was determined! I don't remember exactly when but my mother-in-law had told me at one point that I may as well accept myself the way I was because I was never going to lose weight. I think that comment along with a few comments at the family Thanksgiving dinner that year I knew that I just had to do something.

So, I gave up drinking soda and fruit juices and fruit drinks, most breads, and most sweets. I don't know If it's okay to use name brands here but I ate frozen diet dinners for lunch and supper just about every day. My two sons were grown and on their own and my husband was a decent cook so I told him that he would have to cook for himself if he didn't want to join me. He was overweight but nowhere near as much as I was.

Every now and then we would go out to dinner and I would make sure that I brought at least half of my dinner home. To be honest I didn't stick with it 100% of the time but I was very careful when I "cheated". I also bought a 1 quart water bottle and made sure that I drank at least 2, but usually 3 and sometimes even 4, quarts of water a day. I started walking 1-3 miles every morning and doing an exercise routine before going to bed that I had put together from different sources as well.

By 2009 I had lost approximately 80 pounds. I was so excited!! I had gone from a size 18/20 tight jeans to a size 10 (and even found a pair of size 8 that I wore once)! Well, from January of that year and into the following couple of years we had several upsetting events take place. My marriage ended. We had several deaths in the family, my husband being one of them. Then life just happened and my diet hit the skids. Over the next few years I regained about 50 of those pounds.

I have since remarried and my new husband is an awesome cook!! But I told him that I really need to get back on track and I need his help to do it! I am back to eating my Healthy meals for lunch at work but we haven't started eating them for supper yet and that's where my problem is, I think. I start with a snack as soon as I get in the door from work and then a lot of the time we aren't prepared for what to have for supper and we just throw something together, not always the best choices, or we go out to do errands and grab something while we're out....again not the best choices.

My sister told me about MFP so I decided to check it out. This site looks awesome! I really want to get these 50 pounds off again and keep them off this time!! I know with all of your help I CAN do this!!! Thanks for reading, Kanndee

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do this! It takes time and discipline, but it is possible. Add me for support!
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you've done it before, you DEF can do it again!
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It is a battle...I'm back again too. You have had a rough couple of years, I can't imagine what you have been through. I am so glad you are here and I promise to do my best to stay on track this time.
  • marypresent
    marypresent Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You sound like you're ready to commit to eating healthfully and with your renewed efforts and supportive friends, I'm sure you can lose the added weight as you did before. Wishing you much success on your journey!
  • Kanndee
    Kanndee Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouragement and support. It really means a lot to me. I would love to "add" you or "friend" you but I have no idea how. If someone would tell me that would be great. Also, where can I get one of those progress trackers that I see on so many of the posts? Can anyone get one or is it something that someone gives you after so much time here or something? :flowerforyou:
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm an MFP vet who has just restarted in the last month as well. Looking to make friends for mutual support in this journey to better health! Feel free to add me :)

(Just saw your last post. To add a friend, click on their name to go to their profile and there is an "Add Friend" button next to their picture!)
  • Greenbomb
    Greenbomb Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You are already ahead of the game by KNOWING you can do it! Just try to repeat the same steps that brought you success before.
  • askuck
    askuck Posts: 1
    Options
    I feel like I can relate to the trying again thing!!! I was doing pretty good last spring, but then we decided to buy a house and that process really threw me off, then the moving, plus summer is harder for me because I have to spend 24/7 with the kids and can't do any exercise classes etc. Now I'm just finding it hard to give up the crap I keep putting in my body. I know it makes me feel awful, but I still find it hard to eat good and avoid pop. How do I find the determination to change my eating habits now? That is my hardest part!!! I suppose I should get back on my fitness pal log again ;)
  • avoniabeach
    avoniabeach Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Just getting back. And need to keep momentum. I had lost 30. And gained 20 back in last year. Really need to lose 50 but baby steps. Need support and will help too
  • sueconvery7
    sueconvery7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am trying again but this time with a different attitude. I am eating what I want but watching how much I eat. I have not stepped on a scale but my clothes are fitting better. Some things I have not been able to wear for awhile.
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me !!
  • Kanndee
    Kanndee Posts: 8
    Options
    Believe me I have tried to remember exactly what I did before but part of the problem is that my work hours changed so I can't do my walking in the morning like I did before. Then my job changed. Although I am in the same department, my actual duties and responsibilities changed. I know that it seems like it should be a no-brainer but it really isn't. I know that I will find the right combination again but I just haven't found it yet.