Thoughts on potatoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The thing is , they are very filling and depending on how prepared low in calories. A bakes sweet potato is slightly over 100 calories yet is filling enough to be an entire meal. Yes they are carbs but what the no-carb dieters don't tell you, is that you need carbs for energy.

You mean calories ? I thought low fat dieters told me fat has the most energy per gram.
  • TMoneyHomeSlice
    Options
    Oh wow! A lot of replies! :D Thank you all for your input! You've given me some new insight and many new ways to prepare potatoes and alternatives :D
    Thanks all!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Granted there's individual variability, potatoes tend to rank very high in satiety. In my opinion I find potato avoidance to be one of the more ridiculous things that occurs among some people.

If you have the carbohydrate allowance to fit some potatoes into your diet and you enjoy eating them, have at it.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are delicious and full of vitamin C and if you leave the skins on, fibre.

Potatoes are to Carbohydrates as eggs are to Cholesterol; demonised but for no good reason.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    They are yummy and I've recently increased my intake due to their potassium content. Higher than a banana!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I LOVE potatoes. I am having perogies for dinner, with green beans. I will take potatoes over pasta any day of the week.

Bake 'em, fry 'em, mash 'em, boil 'em
    slice 'em, dice 'em, microwave them

potatoes [x4]

(sorry, love potatoes and Daft Punk.)
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I dislike the taste of potatoes so when I do eat them I consider them largely a delivery mechanism for high-fat dairy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes 2-3x weekly...my thoughts:

- they are a whole food...I get sick of people demonizing whole foods...it's ridiculous

- they have more nutrition than people either know or give credit for...particularly if you leave the skins on

- they are an awesome source of energy

- they are delicious