Newbie here!

Options
Hello! I've heard a lot about this website and decided after years of yo yo dieting and weight watchers that I'm ready for a change.
I've gained and lost the same 55 lbs for years now and really I think it has a mind of it's own because it's very stubborn leaving this time! I need help!

I'm pre-diabetic, limited budget for healthy eating, husband has a thin frame and can eat anything he wants. He has a active job opposed to mine which is very inactive and my butt planted in a office chair for 8+ hrs a day!

I've read about atkins, paleo, south beach and i've tried them all. I don't know what to do at this point! ANY SUGGESTIONS?!

Thx Katelyn - aka Kizzy <3

Replies

• jdawgs0314
    Options
    Hey Katelyn. Want to start by saying your profile pic is so true.

I was in the same boat. Loose and gain over and over. Until I found mfp.

I also work in an office behind a desk. I usually spend my lunch break walking the parking lot at work.

I had heart surgery back in 2010 and gained a ton of weight. Could not stand to be in pictures. Too ashamed of what I looked like.

Because of mfp I am down 25 lbs since June 3rd.

Only suggestion I can give is to watch your calories intake and exercise. It has worked for me so far.

Good luck and feel free to add me.
  • kizzymcnichols
    kizzymcnichols Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! Good for you!! Thank you! I usually don't take a lunch... eat at my desk - I only get 1/2 hr which stinks. I do not like to be in pics either and usually scan the crowd if anyone is ready to snap a pic :)
  • ValleySimTech
    ValleySimTech Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I also have a fairly sedentary job. A lot of sitting. I tried exercise but wasn't getting anywhere because my intake was way more than I was burning off. Once I started to control my daily calorie intake the weight has been coming off steadily and I have found that it's all about learning what foods you can eat lots of and what foods you need to limit in order to loose the weight.

It was hard at first but as time has passed I almost don't need to track my calories anymore and can create meals that keep me in my calorie limits but still fill me up. I still have those burger and snack days from time to time. You have to live right? And yes you will gain back a pound or two from time to time but you can't let that get you down. As long as that graph shows an overall downward trend then you are doing the right things.

That's my advice, as long winded as it is. Welcome to MFP and I truly hope this website can help you as much as it has helped me.
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good information you can get from this site, your friends here on MFP and the boards. I often find myself visiting the success board when I'm feeling down and that usually inspires me to stop whinning and know that I too can do this!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Ive been here 963 days and its still a daily struggle but this holds me accountable. I don't do any of the fad diets (paleo, low carb, low fat, atkins etc) I believe those all work great in the short term but I have seen way too many of my friends revert right back because its not a sustainable way to eat. I believe in calories in vs calories out, we must move our bodies, we must sweat once in a while. Welcome to add me if you think I can help in any way. Even after all my time on here I am still a work in progress and probably always will be but the one thing I can offer is im no quiter and I plan on being here many yrs to come!
  • willsnana
    willsnana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello All
    I'm a newbie although having dabbled in almost every thing going, Fast diet, Slimming clubs and on line slimming have decided to go with the only sensible option. Monitor what goes in and out!
    At least MFP is not making money out of us.
    I have the same problems as I'm reading here, sedentary job, not too much time for exercise and I'm also a female facing the big 60.
    I need to loose 42lb and keep it off if I want to become the sweet old Lady I want to be!
  • Sherina4
    Sherina4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hiya ive just started the keto diet and loving its:-) Im 8 days in and have lost 3kgs and have test my keytones and im already interested ketosis!
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    HI!! I HAVE BEEN A MEMBER OF MFP FOR A WHILE NOW BUT I SLACKED OFF FOR A MINUTE BUT I AM BACK BECAUSE WHILE BEING ON MFP I HAVE GOTTEN SOOOO MUCH SUPPORT AND IT HAS REALLY HELPED ME WITH THIS JOURNEY. MY ADVICE TO YOU IS TO LOG EVERYTHING THAT YOU CONSUME, SHARE YOUR FEELINGS (BECAUSE 9 TIMES OUT OF 10 SOMEONE WILL BE ABLE TO RELATE TO YOU), EXERCISE, AND DRINK LOTS OF WATER. BEFORE I STARTED MFP I LOST 25 POUNDS AND WHEN I JOINED MFP I WAS 250LBS AND I WENT DOWN TO 216 THEN I FELL OFF AND GOT BACK UP TO 250 AND NOW I AM BACK -- THIS IS MY 5TH DAY BUT I WEIGHED MYSELF TODAY (UNOFFICIALLY) AND I AM 244. THIS SITE IS WONDERFUL!! GOOD LUCK AND MUCH SUCCESS ON YOUR JOURNEY. I AM HERE FOR YOU AND ANYONE ELSE WHO WISH TO ADD ME.
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome! :) You've come to the right place!