Should I have a rest day?

Options
Hi All,

I'm loving the feeling of the compulsion of logging in every day. It seems to motivate me to do good :) I was wondering if I should take a rest day, say 1 in 7. I've been walking twice a day at a very brisk pace and am asking should I give my joints a break,
Thanks,
Terry.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Unless you are feeling any particular aches or pains from walking and feel like you need a rest, I would say you are fine to walk 7 days per week. A 'rest' day for me usually involves walking or cycling but I rest from intense exercise such as heavy lifting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If a person plans on taking a rest day from walking do they buy a wheelchair and ride around all day or do they just crawl around the house all day?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Rest days are of benefit if your training is higher intensity or putting your system under significant stress. Walking isn't going to do that for the majority of the population. If you're badly out of shape and it is hard work for you then it may be worthwhile, but generally unlikely.

Walking is unlikely to be putting your joints under considerable stress.
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Agree with others for higher intensity cardio then yes rest days are important but for walking even brisk walking doing it daily should be fine but depending on ur size and health levels just listen to your body if u are finding any aches and pains then u should rest and build up slower
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If a person plans on taking a rest day from walking do they buy a wheelchair and ride around all day or do they just crawl around the house all day?
    mayhap they do, or sit on a skateboard and push with their hands.
  • TerryMcP007
    TerryMcP007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks All,
    Don't think I'll be asking any more questions here.
  • UK34
    UK34 Posts: 23
    Options
    I think it is good to have a rest day, from it all!
    I lost all my weight at a steady rate of 2 Ibs per week from having one day I can eat what I want and do no exercise. Worked for me and I think your body needs a break.
  • TerryMcP007
    TerryMcP007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it is good to have a rest day, from it all!
    I lost all my weight at a steady rate of 2 Ibs per week from having one day I can eat what I want and do no exercise. Worked for me and I think your body needs a break.

Sounds good to me, thanks.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important IMO.