I'm doing fine dieting but my stomach ISN'T !

Options
ducati45
ducati45 Posts: 54 Member
I'm 5 days in, I have counted calories and stuff a while ago and found it to be the most effective way to lose weight. I'm looking to shed about 10-15 pounds I put on through some bad health times.
However for the past 2 days I've had a really bloated stomach and I started with getting super bad cramps, I thought it was just gas so I went home and made myself some ginger and green tea and did some yoga positions that usually get rid of it. But even this evening I'm still feeling bloated uncomfortable and sore and sorry if TMI but going to the toilet and having a BM hasn't helped.
I'm a vegetarian and I like vegetables and whole-grains so I never really think about fibre being an issue. But maybe reducing my intake overall has caused my stomach to freak out? Or perhaps I am eating too much fibre? I'm drinking a lot of water trying to help as well :(

Replies

• maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough fat too.
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Obligatory "You should see a doctor" post. Considering this came on rather sudden, and there haven't been any other significant changes to your diet, other than restriction, it might be something serious.

Another possibility - do you eat a lot of MorningStar products? I don't know if they've changed their formula, or I've just developed an intolerance, but I CANNOT eat them any more. Horrific bloating, stomach cramps, lasts for days after ingestion. Such a bummer. Since I've chucked all the MorningStar products though, I've been fine.

EDIT to add: other meat alternatives are fine, it's just the MorningStar.

Feel better!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Suddenly adding a ton of fiber to your diet can cause temporary digestive distress.
    It happened to me for about two weeks when I first became vegan.

For now, drink a lot of water! Get friendly with tums/gas-relief/laxative and other kinds of medicine if you need it.
    Keep doing the tea and yoga, that will help as well.

Try increasing low-fiber fat intake as well (think coconut oil or cheeses)

Stay patient! ^__^
  • aliu00
    aliu00 Posts: 61
    Options
    It might be your change of diet or you might ate something that your stomach not happy about. It might be a happy reaction for your change, it will go away in couple of days. I usually take some aloe or digestive enzyme for minor stomach problem.
  • lindsayomalley
    lindsayomalley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Healthy food causes weird stomach issues. For two weeks, I didn't have a natural bowel movement. I ended up having to take stool softeners and laxatives because of my fiber increase. Drink water and once you have 2 bowel movements, your body will start understanding what is going on. Good luck!
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I do much better if I take Metamucil everyday. It isn't a laxative and isn't harsh, but just really helps with bloating and regularity. I even like the way it tastes. And it is supposed to positively effect blood sugar and cholesterol. Good luck.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I bloat stupidly easily. I bloat if i eat too much, i bloat if i'm hungry, i bloat if i eat a lot of wheat, a bloat at my TOM....hate it. I would say it's probably nothing serious and your body adjusting to a new diet. Keep a track of when it occurs, maybe you'll notice if there is something specific which triggers it off.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Another thing that can cause sudden cramps and bloating is artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols.
  • mave34
    mave34 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Feeling your pain.
    Dropped my calorie intake and sugars dramatically in a week, increased my water and BAM! Bloated and gained weight!!! I also bloat at the drop of a hat, food, water, stress, TOM you name it! Hopefully over time your body can adjust to the changes and be for the better, stay optimistic :)
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    changing your diet up to clean and healthy does that to your stomach. I had terrible bloating yesterday due to eating strictly clean
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned.....drink plenty of water and get some fat also. Movement helps as well. Take a long walk.

Upping your fiber too much too soon can lead to stomach issues. There are 2 types of fiber (they have different properties). Get a little familiar with them so you have some variety.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-11/insoluble-soluble-fiber
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband has a problem with bloating, and Metamucil, which is made of plant fiber, does wonders for him.

I have a serious problem with cramps if I skip a meal - particularly now that I'm thinner. Skip lunch and by 4 I'll be doubled over with gas. Eating then makes it worse. For me, it's not how much I eat, it's just the regularity of it. Perhaps a snack might help? BTW, GasX is an over-the-counter pill that works very well if it gets away from you. More effective than things like baking soda and easier to stick in your pocket.
  • BrazosBrian
    Options
    Switching to too many fruits and veggies too quickly does that to me... Gotta mix in some 'normal food' (you like that?). Plus, I found that certain OTC diet pills cause these issues too ...Tried that garbage for awhile, but now just refuse. A change in lifestyle (food and exercise) is the only real solution... for fatties like me that is! I gain weight easily ...slightest little 'mistake' and I'm gaining instead of losing or maintaining. My fit wife says, "Exercise, Stu!" (that's short for "Stupid"...)

bb
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Are you eating Fiber One products? Those things will blow you up like a balloon.