Calling all crisp/chip lovers

Options
OK - so I just made a discovery. I had some left over savoy cabbage from last night (usually I would throw away, but I have become a demon with leftovers recently). This had previously been boiled in fairly long cut strips and had been covered in the fridge overnight (so now very dry). I had the idea of replicating those "kale crisps" I had seen in healthfood shops (which cost a fortune). I tipped the cabbage onto a baking tray, sprinkled over some salt and chili flakes and whacked in the oven at a cool temperature (150C on mine) and left them there for about 30-40 mins. When finished - they were de-hydrated, semi-transparent like pretty, green stained glass and beautifully crispy (like seaweed at a Chinese restaurant). Because the strips were quite long, I could hold them one by one, like crisps (chips) and crunch my way through them. Yum.

This was savoy cabbage (i.e. the dark green, crinkly stuff). Not sure it would work well with white cabbage. Also, it was mainly the very green, woodier leaves on the outside of the head, which I know a lot of people throw away...

OK - these aren't going to win any prizes for sodium content - but they were surprisingly satisfying and the concentrated cabbage taste was actually pretty good!

Replies

• Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Anybody tried other veg successfully for a similar effect?
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    May just have to try this. Great idea.

I know you can do it with Brussels sprouts, but the idea of separating all the leaves one by one before baking makes me die a bit inside.
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    the idea of separating all the leaves one by one before baking makes me die a bit inside.

:laugh: