Ab exercises

Options
Hey everyone can anyone give me some tips on toning my abs. I am really trying to tone the baby pooch :) Crunches on the floor are not seeming to work much. Thanks

Replies

• drosenbauer
    Options
    I think when people want to do abs exercises, they're really seeing two different effects at the same time.

The first is that their stomach muscles are strengthened, increasingly the durability of the "abdominal wall", thus allowing them to hold their stomach flatter for longer. This is just like the muscle tone you get in your arms or calves and is entirely a muscular-strength sort of thing. That's why people feel like their bellies are slimmer after three weeks of doing crunches. You're not, but you're much better at holding in your intestines!

The second effect is actual fat loss, which can only be accomplished by burning calories through regular cardiovascular exercise and strength training, as well as diet. Unless you're lucky enough to walk miles a day, the old saying that "abs are made in the kitchen" is true.

So keep at it! You'll get there!

If you're looking for specific abs-strengthening exercises, I can't recommend the pilates exercises enough.
  • gmcclary
    Options
    Bicycle kicks: Sitting on the floor raise your feet off the floor and move them in a circular motion like riding a bike. Start out with 10 or 15 them forwards and then 10 or 15 backwards. Once you get the hang of them you can continue to increase the reps.
    Scissor Kicks: Laying flat on the floor hold on like 1 inch off the floor while the other is straight(or as straight as you can get it). Hold for 1 to 2 seconds and then alternate.
    These exercises with strengthen your "core", which are all of the muscles in your stomach(Not just then "upper Abs", the inner muscles and all the way around to your lower back.
    Hope this helps!
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Pilates is the best for flattening abdominal since we work the deeper transverse abdominals under the rectus....try to pull your tummy in all day long; it activated the t.a and will help. Look up Pilates on Google and you should find some good moves. Get a Stott Pilates video and do it every day at home on your yoga mat or try to find a class. I teach Pilates every day. Here is one easy one: Lie on the floor on your back IMPRINT your abdominals by pulling tummy as flat to spins as possible;and bring both legs up to "table top" position (45degrees) and slowly tap one foot to the floor at a time exhaling as you lower; do 10 x each side to = a set
  • TOdoubleping
    TOdoubleping Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Traditional ab crunches, decline board, oblique twist machine, and suspended leg raises (using vertical stand) have their place and are effective. Furthermore, incorporating some type of back extension is important. However, adding a Bosu ball to build stablizing stomach and back muscles are imperative.
  • drosenbauer
    Options
    IMPRINT your abdominals by pulling tummy as flat to spine as possible

^^^ This

If you're going to do pilates, all the sites you come across will probably mention this. It is critical to success using those exercises. Also you'll learn how to hold in your stomach better.
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Pilates is the best for flattening abdominal since we work the deeper transverse abdominals under the rectus....try to pull your tummy in all day long; it activated the t.a and will help. Look up Pilates on Google and you should find some good moves. Get a Stott Pilates video and do it every day at home on your yoga mat or try to find a class. I teach Pilates every day. Here is one easy one: Lie on the floor on your back IMPRINT your abdominals by pulling tummy as flat to spins as possible;and bring both legs up to "table top" position (45degrees) and slowly tap one foot to the floor at a time exhaling as you lower; do 10 x each side to = a set
  • danielleharr79
    Options
    Thanks so much. I have pilates... I will give it a shot :)