How often should you weigh yourself?

Options
I was just wondering how often I should weigh myself. Is it better to do this weekly? Every few days?

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I weigh daily, but don't log weight daily. If day to day fluctuations will freak you out (zomg! I gained 0.7lbs since yesterday! oh noes!), then stick to weekly or even every other week.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Depends who you are. I weigh daily. When I was losing, it helped me see patterns (up 2 after sushi/soy sauce), up 2 before ToM....

And in maintenance, it holds me accountable.

But if it makes you nuts, weigh weekly.

If you do weigh daily, only "weigh IN" once a week on the same day at the same time, in the same week, every day.
  • allinforfitness
    Options
    Thanks! This makes sense. Especially when introducing different foods into your diet. It'll be Day 4 for me tomorrow so I'm going to give it a shot and see how I'm doing so far.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly. Keeps me from getting too obsessive about the scale.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day because I can handle it.

Most people do once a week, every two weeks, etc. A lot of people wear the same clothing and do it at the exact same time every day. All depends on personal preference!
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I try every day...sometimes 2 times a day. Just to see trends. I DON'T weigh every day during that TOM. No way.
  • KaylaLouise
    Options
    I weigh in weekly on a Saturday morning and that is what i record.

I do also do a mid weekly weigh in usually on a Wednesday/Thursday morning just to see how i am tracking.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only record on Mondays. I use to weigh daily and track it on my calendar and I'm SO glad I did. It really helped me to see trends and not freak out. An example is that I learned that not only do I tend to retain almost FIVE pounds during my cycle, but I also tend to retain when I ovulate. Gotta love those lady hormones! But once I learned the trends, I just record once a week.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    daily after i wake up and gone to the bathroom.
  • gilmore606
    gilmore606 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bro you gotta weigh yourself 8, 10, more times a day, after every activity you do. you gotta know what activities cause weight loss. so maybe you made a powerpoint presentation, weigh yourself before and after...you gained 0.1 lbs? no more powerpoint for you, that's a fat magnet. pretty soon you got a list of all the stuff that makes you lose weight and you just do that stuff forever ya feel me
  • marquishagetaka
    Options
    I do once a week, Sunday.
  • Trevor_FL
    Trevor_FL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello. Once a week. Before I eat or drink anything in the morning.
  • d4rkkn16ht
    d4rkkn16ht Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do it daily right after wakes up in the morning, but not always log it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    weekly.
  • TyphonRex
    TyphonRex Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but always keep in mind that the human body is weird and prone to fluctuations in weight for a half dozen reasons. As long as the moving average is heading down, I'm happy.

Weighing each morning is simply a way to keep my head in the game.
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go back to weighing myself weekly now because then I see more of a clear drop (hopefully at least!) My weight fluctuates so much that weighing myself every day involved being elated one day and feeling defeated the next.
  • Aymzc
    Aymzc Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I 'officially' weigh in on a Tuesday Morning, where I log it onto MFP as its best to record weekly although I do tend to stand on the scales daily to give me an idea of how things are going. I just started back at mfp 10 days ago after losing 20lbs last year to have put that back on and a bit more (really disappointed with myself) I've exercised everyday so far and eaten loads better than I had been and the scale hasn't budged yet :( Any tips on giving yourself a kickstart?
  • ThePugz83
    Options
    I think I'm gonna start weighing myself daily and recording weekly because lately how I feel I've done that week is not translating on the scale! This should help me track where I go wrong as well as keep me honest.

Pugz
  • SHOANA09
    Options
    Cute! Also helpful. Thanks!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale periodically throughout the day because the fluctuations fascinate me. I can wake up weighing 147, drink a large glass of water and be down 2 pounds by lunch. Crazy.. I only log it when I hit a new low weight, which (knock on wood) should be soon judging by the latest downward trend. I'm excited about that because I've been fluctuating the same 4 pounds for the last 4 months. I should probably count calories but I don't want to.