What would be a healthy breakfast

Options
Sometimes I feel tired in the morning when I do my workouts. What would be a healthy, energy producing breakfast.

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    3-4 eggs scrambled with ham, green peppers, jalapenos, onion, spinach and cheese with a toasted English muffin and apricot jam?

comes to about 550-600 calories, good macros, very satisfying. depending on specific foods. any other variation on the theme of scrambled eggs with meat and veggies is also good to go.

Rigger
  • yellowradiates
    yellowradiates Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast or snack prior to a workout is oatmeal large flake cooked in milk or steel cut cooked in 1 cup milk 2 cups water with 1/2 a banana or berries or raisins & nuts. Have just made breakfast quinoa but have not worked out after eating it yet. Or two eggs with salsa & 1 cup spinach or 1 apple. Prior to going gluten free - peanut butter and banana sandwich...You will also want to have a snack within 30-45mins of your workout mine is usually the other 1/2 of my banana.
  • jloane01
    jloane01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    50G Oats
    1 Scoop Protein Powder
    1 Cup almond milk
    1 Cup Coffee
    1 Packet calorie free sweetener
    1 tbsp fiber
    400 cals

Blend it up. It's what I have every morning :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    50G Oats
    1 Scoop Protein Powder
    1 Cup almond milk
    1 Cup Coffee
    1 Packet calorie free sweetener
    1 tbsp fiber
    400 cals

Blend it up. It's what I have every morning :)

Sounds interesting! What do you use for fiber?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Very subjective and relative to your overall diet and goals.

I personally eat eggs pretty much every morning with either a Fage Greek Yogurt, Coach's Oats, or mixed fruit medley depending on what the rest of my day is going to look like. On the weekends I opt for larger breakfasts and do it up with bacon and toast and what not.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Agreed that it's very subjective. Personally I do my morning workouts fasted, save for a cup of coffee and usually a couple of scoops of pre-workout/bcaa's since I'm not at all a morning person and resemble a zombie at 5:30am. I prefer to then eat a large meal post-training.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, but assuming you're otherwise healthy, a couple eggs and some dry, whole grain tots. I don't know how many eggs we get a week these day, though. Oatmeal sticks to the ribs and you can throw some fruit in there.

Even just fruit and granola. The Nature Valley Granola crunchy granola bars are so damn filling and they taste really good.

Everyone does it differently. I don't eat anything for an hour and no meals (just fruit) for three hours after I get up. Once upon a time, a cigarette and a Diet Pepsi was my Breakfast of Champions, lol.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I like Rigger's idea a lot. I usually eat a lower calorie breakfast but I don't tend to exercise in the AM. I feel very satisfied by eggs though, they really stick with me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you.

When I run in the morning I can't tolerate solid food before, so tend to have a protein shake (made with milk and protein powder) and then my usual 2-egg omelet with vegetables and fruit on the side after. I like bigger breakfasts, though (get up early, eat after I've been up an hour or so)--if I don't have the shake/run I'll usually have some kind of additional protein (cottage cheese, smoked salmon, whatever is leftover from dinner) with the omelet and fruit.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Probably not the best, but i do oatmeal, banana or some other fruit, toast with some Nutella or peanut butter
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If I make something in advance, I make a tofu vegan breakfast burrito filling that is DELICIOUS. I wrap it in a wheat tortilla and pop it in the oven while I get dressed. Add some hotsauce, and it is one of my favorite things.

Recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/02/23/high-protein-vegan-breakfast-burrito/

If I don't make things ahead of time, I keep it simple (boring to many) and usually go with one of the following:

- 2 pieces of wheat toast and 2 eggs (no oil or butter)
    - 2 pieces of wheat toast with 1 tbs peanut butter on each
    - 1 cup cooked rolled oats w/ cinnamon and liquid stevia for sweetener. Sometimes I add a banana instead of the stevia.

I always eat after my workout, though. If I eat before, it takes too long to digest or I just feel too sluggish to get up and go.

Protein shakes work well for some people, but I like having mine later when at work for a nice mid-morning pick me up.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Personally I like my workout fasted. I've tried having some nuts and a banana prior to going and I end up ravenous for the whole day. I go at 5:00, come home, have some protein then about 4 hours later do a Greek yogurt with nuts and fruit.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I eat before work (this or some variation):
    * two pieces of Oasis low-carb bread
    * one egg
    * 1/4 cup egg whites
    * 1/2 kale (started adding that today)
    * 2 tblsp (30g) hummus.

Yummy! Feel full until lunch!
  • jloane01
    jloane01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Sounds interesting! What do you use for fiber?

Now Foods, Psyllium Husk Powder. Typically eating around 30g per day
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel tired in the morning when I do my workouts. What would be a healthy, energy producing breakfast.

3 egg omelet with 10gr of butter and 28gr of mozzarella or cheddar.

Boom.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'll have a homemade bran muffin with some nuts in it or I'll make egg whites with vegetables in it and throw them on an open face english muffin.
    Mostly I concentrate on drinking. I have coffee and a lot of water.