Working out during 'Shark Week'...

Options
Hey all,
So today was the first day that i've worked out hard during that time of the month. I was doing stronglift 5x5 and towards the end I started feeling queezy. Then I did a 1 hour spin class and a few times I got really dizzy, so I held back after that. I came home and ate something and now I feel outrageously sick.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Should I be doing less during my cycle? Any certain diet I should be focusing on?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating pre rather than post workout. You could also be slightly anaemic during TOM - try eating some iron rich foods or taking a supp. Exercise is one of the best things you can do to elevate cramps & so forth.
  • StormEdge
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I usually work out right after work (our gym is in the building) at 5, which makes it a little early to eat. I did eat pretty late today though, which may be the issue. I'll try the supplement too to see if that helps. :)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I do the night shift & head to the gym after (8am tho).

I find some porridge a couple of hours before is best. It fuels my workouts but gives it time to settle first. Add a banana & its fab!

A banana on it's own, or a protein bar would also work. Even a cheese string :)
  • StormEdge
    Options
    Hahaha! Oh the joys of string cheese :). I'll keep that in mind as well. Thanks for all your help.
  • Tal_Kyrte
    Tal_Kyrte Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Make sure to drink plenty of water, much more than you would usually drink. I've gotten really dizzy during TOM a few times as well. Hydrate, and listen to hmmm2013 and try to consume much more iron. Iron is an important part of hemoglobin, which transports oxygen within the blood. You probably didn't consume enough, and your body was having a hard time getting the oxygen it needed; ergo, you became lightheaded. If this happens regularly, try to do a bit lighter workouts. You can let yourself have that piece of chocolate; it has iron in it. :flowerforyou:
  • StormEdge
    Options
    Yeah I just started taking iron this morning. It makes sense cause when I was stretching after, I noticed my circulation was pretty poor. Thanks for all the tips!