what is the best tasting whey protien?

Options
I'm new to drinking these shakes and wondering if there are any good tasting ones. I am currently on PhD diet whey Belgian chocolate and hubby drinking the strawberry one. They are ok mine tastes of soggy chocolate digestive biscuits.

I read that whey protein doesn't taste nice but there must be some good ones out there.

Any advice is greatly appreciated x

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    none. Just kidding. I dont' really like it though.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    chocolate is the best IMO and is the most common, but at any sports nutrition stores they shoud have a decent selection of flavours, ive heard the peanut butter kinds are delicious.

everyones taste buds are different though so your best bet is to just keep trying flavours until you find one you like. stay away from vanilla though i dont know anyone who thought that one tastes good
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress and the only flavor I don't like is Strawberry, but I don't like strawberry flavored anything... except actual strawberries.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't really like them plain, I usually mix them in my smoothies and overnight oats, but if you were to try to them plain I would say chocolate taste better than vanilla.
  • ccpauley
    ccpauley Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks, yeah there are little sachets in the shops, might be better that buying a big tub.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I have tried alot of them...I'm in love with UMP rocky road at the moment!!!
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Extreme Milk Chocolate. I shake that with unsweetened almond milk after my workout. It's delish.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    MuscleTech Phase 8 chocolate
    Myofusion elite chocolate
    Muscle Pharm chocolate... see where I'm going with this? LOL

I'm a protein shake/bar junkie. I love the simply and simply whey bars as snacks but eat Quest bars for real protein intake on the run. (which is always for me)

ETA: I also use the powders to make protein muffins, pancakes and other yummy treats...did I mention I'm a protein shake/bar junkie...? lol
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    BSN Syntha-6 is so, so delicious. Chocolate.
    Combat Whey from Muscle Pharm is pretty decent; I like their Cookies 'n' Cream one the most.

Also, I know some people love Optimum Nutrition, but I've gagged at all of their proteins. That's one brand I would definitely taste test before buying a whole tub.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like EAS whey protein in chocolate- I buy the big bag from BJ's. It tastes like a milkshake if I pair it with milk.

I second NOT going for strawberry flavored. I just like plain, raw strawberries and for me anything strawberry-flavoured just tastes... wrong...
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've only ever used 2 brands- Designer Whey and Whey Factors. I used the Designer Whey white chocolate and sometimes mixed it with vanilla soymilk (very good). Other times I just used water and it was fine. Not as sweet but definitely tolerable.

Whey Factors is an all natural brand and I currently have the double chocolate flavor. I just mix it with water and it tastes like a yoohoo.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I have Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein - Double Rich Chocolate. Love it.
  • dapp25
    dapp25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    muscle tech - designer whey
    scitec

have nothing but good things to say about these and thier flavours :D
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Trutien cinnabun.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of Cellucor - everything of their's is amazing. Whipped Vanilla, Cinnamon Swirl, Peanut Butter Marshmallow... mmm.
  • ccpauley
    Options
    Lots of advice there thanks guys. Maybe I'll just buy some samples...everyone's taste buds are different right? :wink:
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you're in the UK try MYProtein, online, we use them, loads of choice in flavours, gives you the protein that you need no fancy packaging and good prices (we think)

They also do sample sizes so your not committing to a bigger portion, which we find good when we feel like a change.
  • ccpauley
    Options
    If you're in the UK try MYProtein, online, we use them, loads of choice in flavours, gives you the protein that you need no fancy packaging and good prices (we think)

They also do sample sizes so your not committing to a bigger portion, which we find good when we feel like a change.

Yes I'm UK (Scotland) thanks for the shout, I'll look into it :)
  • hotplugged
    hotplugged Posts: 37
    Options
    I also have Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein - Double Rich Chocolate. I HATE any and all of them, so I am thrilled, that I have found a solution that works for me and is super easy:

1/2 cup of Vanilla light Soy milk
    1 cup of hot coffee
    1 scoop of the powder

155 cal, 27g protein, 6g carbs 2g fat

To me, it tasts better then my usual morning coffee with cream and sugar.
  • tflannery1
    tflannery1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Absolutely LOVE the chocolate UMP from Beverly International! I even make protein no-bakes with it and they are an amazing snack packed with protein!