The Case for Slow Fat Loss

Options
Good post by Sohee Lee that I thought is appropriate for this time of year.

Now that summer is winding down, kids are back to school, summer vacations have already been enjoyed, etc, you're probably settling in to the normal daily activities of the fall and winter months. Like most folks, achieving the swimsuit body is not on the radar since it seems so far away.

Well, that couldn't be further from the truth. Now is the time you should start looking toward next year's warmer weather and the activities you enjoy outdoors.

Too many times people will wait until March or April to start preparing for times at the beach or pool. They then get frustrated that the pounds aren't falling off fast enough and that they won't reach their goal. And, more times than not, they won't reach their goal because they didn't give themselves enough time and the plan they followed isn't sustainable for them
Slow and steady wins the race. Start now with a sensible plan that you can adhere to and enjoy. Don't miss out on life events. Figure out your numbers and eat the most you can while still achieving fat loss. If you need help with this, just ask.

And, read this post by Sohee Lee. It makes a lot of sense.

http://www.soheefit.com/case-slow-fat-loss/

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'll check it out later. I agree that bikini bodies start now.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    good article...definitely something to keep in mind \m/
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race.

It doesn't, but it's still a good thought.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Please explain how a slow and steady weight loss plan is not the most effective for people.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    My plan exactly.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    All too true. Flexible dieting and slow weight loss is the way to go. Enjoy all of my favorite foods just in moderation and in proportion to my goals. Next summer watch out++
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Please explain how a slow and steady weight loss plan is not the most effective for people.

Most people fail and regain no matter what kind of diet or lifestyle they try to adopt. This is true right across the spectrum, from grapefruit & ketone cleanses to "slow and steady" 500 calorie deficits.

It doesn't take more than 3 minutes of wandering the MFP forums to see that "slow and steady" is extremely hard for people and adherence rates are very very low.

The correct answer - which is different for everyone - is "as fast as possible without crashing before the finish".
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth noting that by "slow fat loss" she's talking about 1 pound per week for someone with already healthy BMI, it sounds like from her examples. A lot of the people here consider that too fast.

I agree with her that a pound a week is plenty conservative, no matter your starting BMI (not underweight, of course) and that expecting 5 lbs/week is too much.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Most people fail and regain no matter what kind of diet or lifestyle they try to adopt. This is true right across the spectrum, from grapefruit & ketone cleanses to "slow and steady" 500 calorie deficits.

It doesn't take more than 3 minutes of wandering the MFP forums to see that "slow and steady" is extremely hard for people and adherence rates are very very low.

The correct answer - which is different for everyone - is "as fast as possible without crashing before the finish".

I completely disagree with that. Most people achieve sustainable weight loss by taking a .5-1lb/wk approach. Also, they have the ability to understand that this isn't going to be linear.

The only reason it's hard is because, even thought they know it's the right approach, they still want the instant results.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Forget swimsuit body, I just want sailors to stop shooting harpoons at me!

Totally know what you mean. People keep pushing me back into the water - "save her!".
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

First, I think the MFP forums are mostly irrelevant as evidence of a weight loss plan's success or failure.

Second, I think the correct answer has more to do with finding a method that is sustainable. People can make whatever assumptions they want about weight loss speed and its effects on adherence, but it's mostly personal.

I think there is something to be said for not forcing faster changes on the body, regardless of one's willingness to adhere to a plan.
  • ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Beautiful advice, hear hear!
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Second, I think the correct answer has more to do with finding a method that is sustainable.

The problem is that there isn't one, and there is tons of research showing this. A small percentage of folks find a way (from many different ways), while the vast majority don't.

The ONLY thing that actually works for most people, over the long run, is to not have access to excess food.

It sucks, I know, but that's the reality we're dealing with.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

First, I think the MFP forums are mostly irrelevant as evidence of a weight loss plan's success or failure.
    I don't think that was based on forum observation. I think it's been shown in studies over and over.

I personally think the blogger's point about "doing 3 hours of cardio a day and eating only fish and asparagus isn't going to work well" is the more important thing than maintenance rates. But if someone can comply with a very aggressive plan, I think it's probably fine (excluding sub-1000 intakes, that is).
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Second, I think the correct answer has more to do with finding a method that is sustainable.

The problem is that there isn't one, and there is tons of research showing this. A small percentage of folks find a way (from many different ways), while the vast majority don't.

The ONLY thing that actually works for most people, over the long run, is to not have access to excess food.

It sucks, I know, but that's the reality we're dealing with.

I'm less interested in talking about solutions for populations than I am in talking about solutions for individuals. And that's really the distinction. All studies can do is talk about the subject in general terms, which isn't very useful in my opinion when we're talking about something that needs to be tailored.

I'm not quite so nihilistic that I think that it's impossible for individuals to make the necessary choices.
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Boy did I need to read this today. Thanks for sharing!! :flowerforyou: