Lap Band

Options
Any one on here had Lap Band Surgery within the last 2 months?

Replies

• KikiinVA
    KikiinVA Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My Dad had it last April...not fun. Of course he tries to eat too much food. ALways throwing up in the morning. Good luck.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Couldn't pay me to have it...
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is....doctors say not to eat under 1000 calories or you'll mess up your metabolism and not to eat under 800 or you can cause your body major issues. But, the Lap Band basically just forces you to eat 800-1000 calories a day. How is that any different? I mean, essentially coudlnt a person just eat 800 calories a day (if they had the willpower) and lose the same as the person with the lapband eating 800 calories?? Is there more science to it?
  • geralyn61
    geralyn61 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    one of my employees is having gastric bypass on Monday and then because she still has to eat healthy i plan on getting on her on my fitness pal. My best Friend had it 6 years ago and gained all her weight back and then some. She never did the physiological counseling or support group or took the drpression/ocd meds so she was doomed
  • geralyn61
    geralyn61 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    the lap band stops you from eating too much but the healthy choices have to be yours, in the case of my employee genetics r stacked against her combine that with the fact that she is 23 and loves to go to bars and drink beer on the weekend and eat fast food and this her only way
  • ccmulder5
    ccmulder5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i have been wondrering the same thing.. have u received any repsonse from anyone regarding this?
  • blueeyeddragon2115
    Options
    The point of the lap band is to make those eat smaller meals each day. You can't eat more than the size of your fist. Therefore even though they are only eating 800-1000 calories a day they are doing it in a healthier way since they are eating more times a day since they are hungry all the time. If you truely have issues losing the weight it is a good way to go. Unfortuneately your sotmach size will continue to grow if you continue to stuff it with food therefore you will gain the weight back if you don't make the lifestyle change needed to keep the weight off.
  • denisecc
    denisecc Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I considered this surgery but I opted to do it on my own. I eat healthy and exercise now, and yes it's hard to stay on track, but I do. This surgery is really an easy way out. We make ourselves overweight, you can turn it around. I know several people who have had lapband and gastric bypass, and everone of them have gained there weight back plus extra.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I came very close to having it done over the summer. A friend of mine did. He lost leading up to the surgery, but has not lost but maybe 2lbs in the 3 months since the procedure.

As for me, as I was filling out the lap band questionnaire regarding other diets and such I had tried, I realized I really had not seriously tried much, so I procrastinated and delayed. It wasn't until the doc said I was months away from becoming diabetic without change that finally pushed me to seriously work at it.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is....doctors say not to eat under 1000 calories or you'll mess up your metabolism and not to eat under 800 or you can cause your body major issues. But, the Lap Band basically just forces you to eat 800-1000 calories a day. How is that any different? I mean, essentially coudlnt a person just eat 800 calories a day (if they had the willpower) and lose the same as the person with the lapband eating 800 calories?? Is there more science to it?

Yes there is a whole lot more to it.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Congrats to you and much success on your Journey to lose weight for life!:flowerforyou:

I guess it is me but I thought your question was who had the LBS in the last 2 months and not for opinions on whether or not it is good for you or who was going to have it, etc.

I hope you get the answer to your question. Please ignore the usual MFP fanfare of unsolicited ,negative or matter of fact opinions and comments.

There are many on MFP who have had Lap Band Surgery. But the one I know and who are in my circle of MFP friends are farther out than 2 months.

Please feel free to visit a Support thread for WLS patients. See link below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/107774-wls-support-and-inspirational-information
  • desiree980
    Options
    I considered this surgery but I opted to do it on my own. I eat healthy and exercise now, and yes it's hard to stay on track, but I do. This surgery is really an easy way out. We make ourselves overweight, you can turn it around. I know several people who have had lapband and gastric bypass, and everone of them have gained there weight back plus extra.

The lap band is ABSOLUTELY NOT an easy way out...It is merely a tool to help control overeating. I was recently banded after months and months of research. Those who call it an easy way out, have NOT done their research.
  • desiree980
    Options
    Congrats to you and much success on your Journey to lose weight for life!:flowerforyou:

I guess it is me but I thought your question was who had the LBS in the last 2 months and not for opinions on whether or not it is good for you or who was going to have it, etc.

I hope you get the answer to your question. Please ignore the usual MFP fanfare of unsolicited ,negative or matter of fact opinions and comments.

There are many on MFP who have had Lap Band Surgery. But the one I know and who are in my circle of MFP friends are farther out than 2 months.

Please feel free to visit a Support thread for WLS patients. See link below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/107774-wls-support-and-inspirational-information

Well said...
  • desiree980
    Options

I recently had my lap band put in a few days ago after MUCH research. I am so excited to have this tool to help me control overeating. There is an AMAZING youtube community out there regarding the lap band. The lap band is ONLY a tool and not an "easy way out." There truly is no such thing as an easy way out. If there were, wouldn't we ALL be doing it? :-)
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I just got the lapband 6 months ago, and since my surgery I have lost almost 20 pounds. It is NOT an easy way out. In order for it to work you CANT drink 15 minutes before and 30 minutes after you eat. The pain when you dont chew something all the way is unbelieveable. If you use it well you will see results. Ive been drinking while eating so I have been able to eat anything (almost, bread is my enemy) But as of today Ive told myself NO MORE DRINKING WHILE EATING LISA! lol They say Im not supposed to be able to eat more than my fist but I have been able to eat more than that (when I wasnt drinking while eating). But I can definatly tell the difference though... I cant eat NEARLY as much as I used too.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options

The lap band is ABSOLUTELY NOT an easy way out...It is merely a tool to help control overeating. I was recently banded after months and months of research. Those who call it an easy way out, have NOT done their research.

Well I know many people who have not gained all of their weight back and some, including myself. Just like having any program including plain old eating right and exercising the patient has to do their part to keep their weight off. And again IT IS NOT the easy way out. If it were the easy WAY OUT as you state then why is it that people gain their weight back. If it were so easy all people would lose and keep the weight off. Just like it takes hard work for the normal way of losing weight to keep it off. the same is true for any of the WLS. It takes a lot of hard work to keep the weight off.
  • Waynes_World
    Options

The lap band is not the easy way out by any means. It is a tool to help with weight loss. If you do not diet and exercise you will not lose any weight with the band. If you use the band as a tool you will have success. I got the band Nov 2010 and have lost 60 pounds in three months..
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I had it done more than 2 months ago... actually more than 2 years ago. Best decision I could ever make! Any lap banders out there are welcome to be my friend on MFP! :-)
  • mindygo
    Options
    I had the lap band in May 2005 and have lost 110 pounds. I would do it again in a heartbeat. And no, it is not an easy way out!! Takes a lot of hard work and determination!
  • MelissaWI
    MelissaWI Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also agree it is not an easy way out.. Most people don't realize that it's the lifestyle change that makes anything successful..You can easily cheat any surgery.. I could shovel down cookies like they were water if I really wanted to... But I chose not to... It helps me feel full.. A feeling I never had before lap band.. I now have more confidence and want to make better food choices.. I don't want to eat 2 king size chocolate bars because of my depression and sorrows. I risked my life to have the surgery because I could no longer stand living the way that I was... Do you think that is an easy way out? Undergoing a surgery that I could die from because I was so desperate for help...??? You really need to think again if you think anything is easy in this world... There is pain, there are tears, And the emotional roller coaster that comes along with it... But you know what??? I wouldn't of changed anything about it... It has lowered my blood pressure, I'm no longer pre-diabetic, I no longer have sleep apnea and have to wear that God awful machine when I sleep.. I can run and play with my nieces and can walk up a flight of stairs without keeling over... And my cholesterol is great!!! And I feel flippin fantastic for the first time in my life...