How often should you weigh yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• BradfordBear801
    Options
    Depends on you, but I would recommend once a week, the same time each week, before you have eaten/drank anything.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and graph the weights in order to observe the trend. This works as long as you're not freaked out by daily fluctuations. Daily weighing helps keep me accountable and on track.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily but I log it on a separate app that shows me the overall trend. I only record losses on here.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My vote is for once a week. Smooths out any daily fluctuations, allows you to focus on overall trend.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily when I wake up. Wi-Fi scale logs it for me. I don't obsess over the fluctuations and only focus on trends.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There's no "should." Do it when you feel like doing it. Several times a day, once a month, whatever.

I didn't even have a scale for the first thirty or forty pounds and only got weighed at the doctor.

It comes off no matter how little or how often you look at the numbers. :)
  • DumbwaiterRainbow
    Options
    For me, I try to stay off the scale weighing in weekly at the least, but usually every 10-15 days. I have a tendancy to retain water and it stresses me out if I don't see the scale going down consistantly. In my opinion, the most important thing is to do what you feel necessary and keep goals realistic. If you want to weigh yourself everyday, then go for it! Just don't expect to see it going down by a lot every day.
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I will be the lone voice arguing against weighing yourself even as often as every week. If you really want to see a trend line without exposure to fluctuations limit your weighing to once a month or every two months. People with eating disorders (I am one of them) can become obsessed with the scale and use a "good" number as a reason to cheat and a "bad" number as a reason to get depressed and then cheat. Better to faithfully log your food on MFP and watch for changes in the fit of your clothing - or in your measurements. These are a much better gauge of progress than a number on a scale which, as everyone notes, is kind of random anyway.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    When my clothes fit looser or if I've been diligent about diet/excercise for an extended period.
  • Rlavigne93
    Rlavigne93 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself about once a day, just whenever I'm in the bathroom and think about it.
    I only "officially" weigh in once a week, Sunday mornings. The daily ones help me keep track of weight fluctuations, but I think only logging weekly and at the same time helps me keep it accurate. So bloating or how recently I've eaten doesn't throw it off.