Help with body fat %

Options
A few days ago I got my body fat percentage checked and it was 34.1% and anything over 31% is considered excess fat for me. I know that 34% is a lot, but I'm not sure what a reasonable goal is and how long it takes to lower your body fat. I'd like to weight 125lbs at my goal weight but I want to be in shape and not just thin. Right now I'm 5'6" and I weigh around 159-160. Does anyone know what a reasonable body fat percentage would be at my goal weight and an estimate as to when and how long it will take to get there? I'm pretty clueless about all of this! Thanks a lot!

Replies

• givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    Women are good at 20-30% body fat. For you specifically, it depends on how curvy you are. If you are pretty voluptuous, go for a higher percentage. If you have a more boyish figure, then you would want to be closer to the 20%. A very athletic build on a woman might go as low as 18%, but lower than that and you start having estrogen deprivation symptoms (missed periods, increased body and facial hair.)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I'm having my body composition done tomorrow so I'll ask as I'm wondering myself. :) 34% wow hope I'm that low. :)
    Good job out of you.
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    Women are good at 20-30% body fat. For you specifically, it depends on how curvy you are. If you are pretty voluptuous, go for a higher percentage. If you have a more boyish figure, then you would want to be closer to the 20%. A very athletic build on a woman might go as low as 18%, but lower than that and you start having estrogen deprivation symptoms (missed periods, increased body and facial hair.)
    Okay, thank you! I am pretty curvy and I carry a lot of weight in my hips, bust, and butt and that was still the case even when I was at 125lbs so I'll keep that in mind! I'd rather replace my fat with muscle though, so I'll just have to keep hitting the gym!
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    I'm having my body composition done tomorrow so I'll ask as I'm wondering myself. :) 34% wow hope I'm that low. :)
    Good job out of you.
    well thank you! :) It's not where I'd like to stay, but it's not a horrible starting point either.
  • mwsunshinelove
    Options
    Apparently you can tell your "frame" by your wrists...wrap your finger of one hand around the opposite wrist. If your fingers don't touch, you're big boned. If they do, you're medium, if they over lap, you're small framed. At least that's what I've heard. I'm a medium frame (5'7") and even though my lowest healthy weight is 118, I look best around 125-128. Hope that helps!
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    I can fit all my fingers around my right wrist and all but the pinky around my left wrist (I wonder why they're different?) lol! I have a smaller frame but I've always had wider hips.
  • emma2309
    emma2309 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have 33% body fat and I weigh 162 and am 5'3....if that helps at all!