Calf pains.

Options
kshadows
kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
So...I didn’t stretch really well after I ran last night, and today one of my calves is really sore. It just feels too tight, like I didn’t stretch it out enough yesterday. I’ve been stretching it out today a little at a time, but is this a reason to skip a night of training? I’m worried about being ready for my event in time but I also know that running with an injury will really slow things down.

I don't have access to a foam roller but I am looking into getting one, so that option is out. Tonight is supposed to be a 3 mile run. Do I skip tonight and run tomorrow, or power through tonight and make sure I stretch well?

Replies

• sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    you should be careful not to "over stretch" after a run too. Your muscles are already loose and if you over stretch afterwards you may do more damage..I was having some major calf issues and I kept stretching thinking that was the problem and ultimately made the issue worst. You could try your run out and see how it goes, just take it slow and walk if you need to.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I had some pretty sore calves this week, and what I did was run easy (no hills, easy pace, wearing compression sleeves to keep muscle movement to a minimum), roll with knobby roller and ball AFTER, hot baths, and ice packs when I was on the couch.

Do you own a rolling pin? If so, use that in lieu of a roller. Anything hard and cylindrical will do the trick. Yes, I said "hard and cylindrical" haha :)
  • kshadows
    Options
    I had some pretty sore calves this week, and what I did was run easy (no hills, easy pace, wearing compression sleeves to keep muscle movement to a minimum), roll with knobby roller and ball AFTER, hot baths, and ice packs when I was on the couch.

Do you own a rolling pin? If so, use that in lieu of a roller. Anything hard and cylindrical will do the trick. Yes, I said "hard and cylindrical" haha :)

Haha I giggled when I read that. I do have a rolling pin. I will stay off the hills tonight and roll it out when I get home. I need to find some calf sleeves...that's been on my to-do list!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I find if I have tight/sore calf muscles running actually really helps. It's a little stiff at first, but once you get warmed up it helps loosen them up. Stretch a bit after your warmup and again at the end of your workout.

Do you have a tennis ball or something similar? You can use this instead of a foam roller - but it may feel more painful as it's able to get in "deeper" into the sore area.

(This is just if it's muscle soreness because of your workout. If you think you may have torn something or really injured your leg, the above advice won't help.)
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on your pain. I did that once and it hurt just to walk. If you are in a lot of pain, you need to rest or it will only get worse and perhaps tear. Be careful. Good luck! Calf pan is NOT fun!
  • anw120
    anw120 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you actually might have pulled or strained something resting now is better than making it worse and needing to take a lot of time off down the road (I've learned that the hard way).

If you are just a little sore or tight from a hard work out or poor cool down an easy, relaxed workout can loosen it up. If you think you are just sore you might even try walking or biking instead of running so you keep your cardio without pushing the muscle too much.

I will say when I was in High School and College I could run without stretching and I never had problems but since I've aged even on 3 to 4 mile runs I find I need to do a little stretching afterwords, when I wasn't I found my self pulling muscles (particularly my calves) too easy.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    For something softer than a rolling pin, you can make a foam roller. Go to the dollar store and get a pool noodle. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a dowel rod or PVC pipe that fits into hole in pool noodle (about 3/4 inch diameter). Cut noodle to desire length (about 12 inches). Cut rod long enough to give a handle on both ends. Total cost: about 3 bucks.
  • kshadows
    Options
    My gym has added foam rollers! I did a lifting routine, foam rolled, and then ran 3 miles, stretched well and did some yoga and it feels much better today.

Thanks for all the advice!