Low sodium chinese - fried rice seasoning

Options
Does anyone have any good recipes for low sodium fried rice?

I just made a huge batch today using Sun-Bird Fried Rice seasoning. I love the recipe, and its nice and low in calories and fat. But the sodium, oh my goodness!!

I want to keep making it, but I gotta lower the amount of sodium! Any help is much appreciated!

Replies

• flyinmomof3
    flyinmomof3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    hahaha...good luck with this one. I'd like to see what people come up with as I would use it too. I don't use a seasoning pack, but fried rice just always seems salty. I just use steamed rice now...more veggies and season with just a little soy sauce. It's not the same, but it's good enough to eat!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Not that I've tried a low-sodium approach before :) but I'd suggest diluting a tbsp of soy sauce with a few tbsps of chicken broth. It will take away from some of the saltiness but also add flavor to the rice. Or you can add some diced Chinese sausage, which is my favorite part about Chinese fried rice. Kinda like spam so it prob has lots of salt, but a little can add tons of flavor! Whatever you decide is best, be sure to use day-old rice for the best texture and moisture level. :)
  • fancyladymeek
    Options
    Thanks! I'm really bad about cooking the rice in advance, but I know its better if I cook it beforehand!

The way I do it is when I cook the rice, I add the seasoning and onion in then so its absorbed into the rice. I cook the egg and chicken seperately, and chop the carrots, and mix it with peas.

After all the ingredients are done, I combine then in a casserole dish and cook for about 10-15 minutes - that way the flavors mix but the carrot stays nice and crisp as well.

Today I added some extra hoisin, low-sodium soy sauce, and sesame sauce to try and kick up the flavor.

I love the idea of using some chicken broth! If I can get a decent ratio of spices I can add them in without all the added MSG and what not that is in the pre-made seasoning packets.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I just remembered how I watched my uncle who is a fabulous cook make fried rice recently. Normally I scramble the egg until it's semi-cooked, take it out, fry the rice, then return the egg near the end so it finishes cooking. My uncle incorporates the rice right after he pours the egg into the pan, then stirs it until everything's cooked and the rice gets dry and a bit crispy. It's more flavorful this way because each rice kernel is coated with eggy goodness. That may also help you reduce the amt of salt/seasoning you use! :)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm really bad about cooking the rice in advance, but I know its better if I cook it beforehand!

The way I do it is when I cook the rice, I add the seasoning and onion in then so its absorbed into the rice. I cook the egg and chicken seperately, and chop the carrots, and mix it with peas.

After all the ingredients are done, I combine then in a casserole dish and cook for about 10-15 minutes - that way the flavors mix but the carrot stays nice and crisp as well.

Today I added some extra hoisin, low-sodium soy sauce, and sesame sauce to try and kick up the flavor.

I love the idea of using some chicken broth! If I can get a decent ratio of spices I can add them in without all the added MSG and what not that is in the pre-made seasoning packets.

I'm going to try this!
  • fancyladymeek
    Options
    I found this....http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/weight-watcher-s-chicken-fried-rice-18069

* 6 ounce. cooked diced chicken breast
    * 1/4 c. low sodium chicken broth
    * 1 1/2 tbsp. low sodium teriyaki sauce
    * 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot (optional)
    * Healthy pinch of white pepper
    * 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
    * 2 lg. Large eggs, lightly beaten
    * 1/2 c. diced onion
    * 1/2 c. shredded carrot
    * 1 1/2 c. cooked white rice
    * 1/2 c. frzn peas

This recipe is a little different than mine though - they use more than twice as much egg as I do and I don't use oil. I also put some green pepper in mine which adds an awesome mild pepper flavor and I use sweet onion. Oh, and brown rice instead of white of course!!

But I like the use of low-sodium broth and ginger. I think next time I'm going to replace some of the water I cook the rice in with low-sodium broth, and instead of using seasoning packets I'll put in some hoisin sauce, teriyaki sauce, fresh garlic and some ginger. I'll just have to make a small batch (this batch today was 20 1-cup servings!!) just in case I really mess it up!
  • fancyladymeek
    Options
    That sounds delicious!! I wouldn't want to use a full-blooded egg with that since it sounds like maybe you'd need a lot of egg volume....but I bet if you used an egg beaters you could get the same thing!

And crispy rice MMMMM!