Anyone else have a really bad neck?

Options
Hello MFP friends!
I got in a really bad car accident when I was 13 and ever since I have have had a lot of weakness and pain in my neck. Apparently all of the ligaments were torn and will never heal. I'd say about 3 times a year I really mess it up to the point I can barley move without shooting pain. And now that I have been working out its been getting really bad. I was working out 5 days a week ( 30 D.S , fitness blender, stuff like that.) and seeing great results and then BAM! Got a really bad neck spasm and had to stop working out. Its been a month and is JUST now starting to feel better. Its killing me to have to just sit around while all my hard work is going to waist. If anyone has chronic neck problems and still can work out I would love some advice on how you avoid spasms, pain and tension? I love doing push-ups but I'm worried I may have to stop :sad:

Replies

• marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have some pretty badly degenerating discs in my neck. Periodically, this underlying condition gets inflamed and I end up with hideous pain and involuntary muscle spasms from the pinched nerves that result. Lovely stuff.

Two things help me. First, do regular neck stretching and strengthening exercises. Second, avoid high impact exercise. Running kills my neck. Very fast fitness walking or swimming does not.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I was rear ended in January and have a compressed disc in my neck. I was treated by a chiro and massage therapist for 3 months, but not to complete wellness. I still had shooting pain and numbness all the way down my right arm with numbness and tingling in my thumb and forefinger :sad:. I slowly worked back into a regular exercise routine and amazingly, now that I've been lifting weights consistently for 5-6 weeks, the numbness and tingling has gone!!

I did neck/core strengthening exercises at the chiro and still stretch it often, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much better it is. I feared never being "right" again.

Not that our situations are identical, but wanted to give you hope that it's possible. I hope your dr/physical therapist can give you counsel and guidance and you're able to keep with a solid workout.
  • WrkinProg55
    WrkinProg55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have some pretty badly degenerating discs in my neck. Periodically, this underlying condition gets inflamed and I end up with hideous pain and involuntary muscle spasms from the pinched nerves that result. Lovely stuff.

Two things help me. First, do regular neck stretching and strengthening exercises. Second, avoid high impact exercise. Running kills my neck. Very fast fitness walking or swimming does not.

Good advice!Thank! Yeah running really messes me up!
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you on this one. I had a horseback riding accident when I was 12, and was paralyzed on one side for a couple days. After years of chiro and physical therapy, it seemed to be mostly resolved - I just had to stretch my neck every so often and get regular adjustments.

However, now (21 years later) I have started to develop arthritic spurs on 2 cervical vertabrae, and have narrowing of the space between those discs. This causes shooting pains down my right shoulder, back and arm, muscle spasms, and occasionally, near blackouts. I can't get adjusted anymore, and physical therapy would only make it worse. (to anyone who is in a similar situation, I would HIGHLY recommend carefully evaluating whether you should continue chiro ... it can make this worse. I am a huge proponent of it in most cases, but there are some situations where it just makes thigns worse. I wish I could still get adjusted!) Anyway, I am on a twice-daily low dose of pain management medication, I use ice packs at least twice a day (morning and evening, more often when I can) and if it's really bad, I just use my stationary bike.

I would definitely recommend a bike if you have access to one. I don't know whether swimming is a good option or not, personally even though it is definitely low impact, I think I might end up straining my neck even more. The key for me when it's at it's worst is to pretty much avoid working anything above my waist. Which sucks and can be super boring!
  • rachelilly
    Options
    A neurologist diagnosed me with cervical dystonia/muscular neck spasm. I get flare-ups every couple months. Since May, I've gone back to acupuncture and haven't had a flare-up since early June, but it's hard to say if it's the acupuncture or not. If I start to feel weak, I use the electronic stimulus that physical therapy gave me years ago, and the heating pad. But I notice I have tension in my neck a lot around days that I lift, or do a lot of mat exercises (crunches and push-ups, etc.) It's such a PITA. I just want to work out without being in pain! So I definitely am right there with you, OP. I just try to do what I can. When I'm in pain, it only lasts a few days at a time, definitely not a month. That's really tough and I'm sorry you have to deal with it for so long.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I also have had neck problems since being rear ended on an interstate years ago. It took a whole year for the torn muscles to heal, but they still flair up periodically - mostly due to stress of too much strain on those muscles. When the numbness and hurting returned, I had to stop body pump/weight lifting and go to water aerobics. You might want to talk to a doctor or physical therapist to find out if there are any particular weight lifting exercises you should avoid or modify in a particular way. I do have to pay special attention to my posture to make sure the bones are supporting my head and not just the muscles. I'm hoping to soon slowly add back in other forms of exercise. Hope you will soon be able to do the same thing.
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I second the acu and e-stim! That stuff is great. Also - my husband made me do this last night because I was starting to have major spasm down my arm and back, right behind my shoulder blade:

ice packs for 15 minutes
    heat for 15 minutes (moist heat is best, it promotes circulation. dry heat makes blood pool in one spot)
    ice again for 15 minutes
    sit on a massage chair in-law's gave us for Christmas for about 20 minutes (which also has heat)
    ice again one last time

I felt like a new person after that it was AMAZING