Should I be lifting?

Options
I'm over a month in on my new-me program. Doing really well, coming into a place where I'm eating the right amount and losing about a pound a week. So overall, feeling pretty good with everything. I am 155 and 5'2'', so definitely overweight. I'm doing some jogging, walking, and dancing along with my everyday activities.
It seems like a lot of people are lifting and that it makes a difference. Is it too early in my weight loss to be really thinking about that, or should I start adding that stuff in? If so, where should I start? I know that spot reducing isn't possible, but I'd like to start thinking about toning because when the fat disappears, I'd like everything to be solid and not saggy and soft. Which body part should I focus on first? Current measurements are 36-32-42 if that helps at all. (big bottomed.) I know how to use maybe 2 lifting machines at the gym and am pretty intimidated by it all.
If anyone has a link to a lifting for beginners type of thing, please post as well.

Replies

• release_the_kraken
    release_the_kraken Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Tried and true by many women that I know:

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should...
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I picked up the book on your suggestion, and also on the link - exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Must have missed it in the stickys. I don't know what some of the lifting means - like "military press" or "kickbacks" or "dumbpress." But I will research. :)
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,618 Member
    Options
    Check out Bodybuilding.com for videos on different lifts/exercises. Good luck! :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    exrx.net is also good for information.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    start now.

check out strong lifts, strong curves or starting strength ... or check out all 4 (including new rules of lifting for women in the 4) . i'm personally going to be moving over from a 5/3/http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/with_user/128406021 program to strong curves.

also, if your strength training program includes kickbacks, get a new program
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I feel far better than I have in years about my body and strength because of lifting (and lifting heavy! I promise you won't bulk up). So I can't say yes enough!
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Check out www.stumptous.com as well for some good advice on form as well.

Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe is good for gwtting your head around how the body should move when lifting.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes you should. Start now.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say "yes" - lifting is my new favourite thing in the world!

ETA: stupid autocorrect mistake!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Yes you should, as you cannot expect yourself to regenerate into a lovely new tight, defined physique by simply dropping some weight.

weeeoooooh.

But for real, yes, lift weights. Strength training is ideal while in a deficit, and if you dont' want to "become bulky" as most women fear, then a) focus on eating enough protein and having a reasonable deficit while lifting heavy to help preserve your muscle mass, and b) once you've dropped the fat, stick to primarily strength training instead of switching to a hypertrophy or strength + hypertrophy training style. My goal is to get "bulky" so I do plan on switching to a hypertrophy/strength split once I'm done cutting and have found my maintenance. I doubt I'd be liking my results so far if I hadn't been training and eating the way I am, because I'd just be going back to being skinny fat again. No thanks!