Bulky upper body

Options
Hello everyone! My name is Shannon and I have currently been working out at a gym in VA. I am a nurse and feel like since starting my career I have become very bulky up top from lifting and pulling on patients. I have pictures from in the past where I wasn't this big in the top. I look manly for a woman! My question for you all is what can I do to tone this down and turn my muscle into lean muscle? Also what do you all recommend for more defined waist and flatter stomach?

Thanks so much for the help and motivation! I appreciate it:)

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Muscle and lean muscle are the same thing. ... I don't...understand.

eta: it looks like you still have some weight to lose? Often times when people think they look "bulky " it's because of fat. Since you can't spot reduce, it's down to genetics on where we lose from. Might seem counterproductive but strength training in a deficit preserves lean mass and make a you look leaner as you lose weight. I really don't think you want to lose muscle and I doubt you look "manly"
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry but what pray tell is the difference between muscle and lean muscle?

how overweight are you? are you sure that some of your "bulky muscle" isnt just fat?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Muscle and lean muscle are the same thing. ... I don't...understand.

eta: it looks like you still have some weight to lose? Often times when people think they look "bulky " it's because of fat. Since you can't spot reduce, it's down to genetics on where we lose from. Might seem counterproductive but strength training in a deficit preserves lean mass and make a you look leaner as you lose weight. I really don't think you want to lose muscle and I doubt you look "manly"

Thiiis. So much. But personally I say figure out your diet to help support your lean mass (adequate protein, not excessively restricting calories if the goal is to drop some fat) and consider doing some lower body work to help balance things out a bit. You clearly need the upper body strength for your job, so don't try losing it. I am looking forward to the day someone says I look "bulky" lol. Balance will probably make you feel more comfortable. Squats, lunges, maybe deadlifts a few times a week and a proper nutritional breakdown with adequate calories (e.g. no more than 10-15% reduction of calories from waht you need to maintain your current weight, since your profile indicates not needing to lose much weight).
  • smorris0038
    Options
    Thanks. I know diet is an important aspect when it comes to this. I have been trying to maintain around 1200 calories a day. I try to eat healthy for the most part. Hopefully continuing to lift, do classes, and cardio will help. Do you all recommend circuit machines or free weights for reducing fat and toning (is one better than the other)?

Thanks for the input
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You might benefit from yoga and/or pilates, or a dedicated stretching routine. It will build strength but also flexibility, which in time, will help you look a bit longer and leaner, because the muscles will be less tight. But the visual effect will probably be subtle.

It probably comes down to a few things. 1) Genetics -- this is how you look when you build upper body muscle. 2) Brain -- your body doesn't match your mental image of your body, or of the body you think you want, and so you don't like it. The same thing can happen when you get a new haircut or try a new thing with makeup... it may look great, but because it's so different, the brain freaks out a bit. You may look fabulous and not realize! 3) Fat -- if you're really committed to changing the look, you might consider just losing a few pounds. I don't know what you weigh, so it isn't a criticism -- it's just that you can't spot-reduce, so if you don't like the look of the muscles under the amount of fat you have, you'll have to reduce overall fat.

And if it's a brain problem? You can try looking more often at images of women with strong upper bodies. You might also try different clothing -- for example, if you're feeling self-conscious about your shoulders, spaghetti straps would suit you less than a wider tank top strap. Dress to flatter your new body, basically, and you'll start to see yourself differently.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    Thanks. I know diet is an important aspect when it comes to this. I have been trying to maintain around 1200 calories a day. I try to eat healthy for the most part. Hopefully continuing to lift, do classes, and cardio will help. Do you all recommend circuit machines or free weights for reducing fat and toning (is one better than the other)?

Thanks for the input

what do you have available?

i prefer free weights because you can get more bang for your buck so to speak without having to go to a trillion different machines. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, lat pull down, Overhead press will work every muscle in your body when done correctly so you can spend less time at the gym and get a really good workout.

dont be afraid of increasing the weights either because you will NOT get bigger unless you're eating over your maintenance.
  • smorris0038
    Options
    :smile: Thanks! I go to the gym so have access to both. My upper body strength is pretty weak currently. What's a good starting out weight? 5lbs?
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    :smile: Thanks! I go to the gym so have access to both. My upper body strength is pretty weak currently. What's a good starting out weight? 5lbs?

check out these programs :

stronglifts.com (free program)
    strong curves ( a pretty fab book)
    new rules of lifting for women (another good book)
    starting strength ( a book and a free wiki site)

all of these will put you on the road to a solid beginner strength training programs where you will work multiple muscles and joints at the same time. as these are compound movements you're going to be able to start with more than 5 pounds :wink: . if you dont have access to a power rack or barbells, then definitely check out new rules and/or strong curves as both give variation for dumbbells
  • smorris0038
    Options
    thanks for the info!!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    A good starting weight is whatever weight will give you a good workout for your rep/set scheme. If strength training, th en you want to choose a weight that will be a bit difficult to lift for 4-6 reps; 6-10/12 for increasing the size of your muscles; 12+ for endurance. If the weight is too easy to lift you your max reps, increase it. I highly doubt 5lbs will be heavy enough for most things you do - you carry groceries? That's probably more than 5lbs in each hand right there!

Also you should really consider upping your calories. Unless you're super tiny (4' something, 90lbs or less) I doubt 1200 is adequate for your activity levels and job. I like this calculator for a lower estimate (which seems to be a bit lower of an estimate than what my body responds to):
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

Or this one for a higher estimate:
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

And if wanting to lose weight, subtract 15-20% from the given TDEE/maintenance number and set that as your custom goal on MFP.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    How do you know 1200 calories is the right target for you? Why bulky? Do you have bodyfat to lose? Possibly you're more of an endomorph which if you are there's not much you can do to get away from that, genetics is genetics.
  • smorris0038
    Options
    You may want to look up endomorph and what it means:) I've become bulky from lifting and pulling patients at work. That's why I say bulky. 1200 calories was given under MFP.
  • smorris0038
    Options
    Thanks for the help!
    I will take a look at the calorie count:)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You may want to look up endomorph and what it means:) I've become bulky from lifting and pulling patients at work. That's why I say bulky. 1200 calories was given under MFP.

MFP doesn't "give" a person anything. It does calculations based upon what a user provides for data ... age, height, weight, activity level, goal weight, and weekly loss desires. Telling MFP you want to lose two pounds per week when you have little to lose results in a lower daily net caloric goal ... claiming to be sedentary when you're not results in a lower net caloric goal.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    lose some fat
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

As an endomorph and MS student I know exactly what the typical endomorph profile looks like. I'm sure you didn't become bulky just from lifting patients and lifting. Unless you are 3-foot tall you are not getting bulky on a 1200 calorie diet. Try again...
    lose some fat
    Unfortunately is the most likely answer here. Either that or post a picture in a bikini top.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    wow people still believe in somatypes? somatypes that were based on pop psychology?

:laugh:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    somatotypes are BS.

If you really think you are too bulky up top then I'd just do lower body work for strength training and minimal upper body stuff at all. 1-2 hard sets of 10-12 should be plenty.

You may end up having issues picking up these patients if you do lose the weight though and can't maintain LBM.

The general consensus is that it is VERY hard to gain LBM (especially for women) who are actively trying to do this with a structured training program and diet. Picking up some people (unless you mean like over your head :tongue:) is unlikely to stimulate much growth. Or maybe you have a good progressive overload approach.

Mon: 8 people 80kg
    Wed: 9 people 80kg
    Fri: 10 people 80kg

Week 2
    Mon: 8 people 90kg
    Wed: 9 people 90kg
    Fri: 10 people 90kg

That could work. Good luck
  • barbianneK
    barbianneK Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try Yoga. It makes muscles long and lean and also builds strength. I have heard using lighter weights but more repetitions will tone without bulking you up. You need that upper body strength for all the good work you do!