HELP...Craveings are killing me..

Please tell me Iam not the only one that feels like the thoughts of food seems to take over???? Iam trying to get back in the swing of things, but these craveings are insane...Any advice???

Replies

• Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Fit what you're craving into your daily allotment. I was craving things in the evening, so I started following intermittent fasting and it has helped tremendously by allowing me to eat most of my calories at night.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    I craving things that are way harder to get than food.
  • 87Djones
    87Djones Posts: 145 Member
    It depends on what your craving most of the time. I find it you craving is sugar, I would suggest cutting out process sugar for week or two so your body will become less depend on it for energy. Replace it with fruits such as melons or berries.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Allow yourself a small treat everyday. When you "know" that treat is going to be part of your day, it gets a little easier.

The trick is to keep that treat from sabotaging your efforts. When I want chocolate, I have a Ghiradelli square. These are individually wrapped. I go for the dark chocolate because it feels like it is more satisfying.

100 calorie snack packs are another idea....save one for late in the day.
  • prettychelly
    prettychelly Posts: 112 Member
    I get like that too. Food is too good to not think about lol. As far as not letting cravings take over... I either just give in to whatever it is because if I don't I'll binge and regret it. Also the craving will eventually go away remember that. Or you can substitute it for something with less calories. Every time I crave candy or cookies I eat watermelon. Watermelon is sweet and has far less calories. Also if you give in to cravings just be mindful of your portion size and try not to let it stress you out. Hope that helped a little.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I don't know your stats and can't see your diary so I'll just give this advice:

1) make sure your goals are realistic. It looks like you have about 20 pounds to lose so 1/2-1 pound per week is reasonable - any more than that and your deficit will be too high and your daily goal will be too restrictive. Don't try to eat under your daily goal, the deficit is already included.

2) if you exercise, eat back at least half of earned calories. This helps give a little wiggle room, especially if you have a low daily calorie goal.

3) Instead of cutting out all so-called "bad" foods, find a way to make them part of your eating plan. I know if I say I won't eat pizza, that's all I want. So instead, I have pizza once a week and make it work by eating less and having only veg toppings.

4) Alternatives can help. If you really like sweet stuff, some of those low cal snack bars (like Fiber One or Special K) are pretty good. Have light butter popcorn instead of the movie theater style. It may sound cliche but sometimes eating fruit takes care of my treat craving - especially berries as they're very sweet.

5) Be more mindful of the reasons. Do you actually want to eat something or are you just stressed, bored, sad, etc. Maybe you just need a distraction instead of a snack? Do you just want to eat because it's 2pm and that's always been snack time? Habits can be hard to break but it CAN be done. Get up and go for a walk or something to distract yourself.

Good luck!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Since I started eating whole, unprocessed foods and skip wheat and added sugar, I have no more cravings. Processed food, added sugar and wheat keep you on the merry-go-round of grabbing those kinds of carbs because you are "craving" then experiencing spikes in blood glucose, followed by insulin (which converts the b.g. into triglycerides and shoves it into your fat cells) and then soon leaves you craving more so you grab some more, etc. The only way to stop the cycle is to drop the processed junk, added sugar and wheat. It isn't easy but once it becomes a habit (takes a couple of weeks) you would never go back to the junk food cycle (at least that's what I found). But like an alcoholic who starts drinking again (and your body processes some sugars in a way that is similar to its processing of alcohol) if you go back to junk food, it will want to suck you back into the cycle (depending on how addicted you tend to be). Good luck!
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    I think that one of the best ways to combat cravings is to understand whether your body needs fuel or you want a treat. I have acquired that skill - and think it is built into our bodies/brains - but it takes some people more time to figure it out.

In the meantime, give your body more fuel with fewer calories - go more whole with your diet. I eat a pound (yes a pound) of salad / spinach and about 4 oz. of lean protein for lunch. One it takes more time to eat this than a diet food / bar / whatever. Two it requires the body to actually digest and process the nutrients. I also think it helps to avoid simple sugar, and when you eat your carbs have them come from green veggies that have a ton more density / water / fibre.

You also need to respect your hunger cues - the longer you go without eating - the harder it is to not overdo it when you eat. Some people do small meals, some are eating every x hours a certain # of calories period. Whatever works.

If you feel confident that your body is fed (even at a low calorie diet, I'm probably getting more nutrients than most people get with 3-4x the caloric intake) then it is all about your will power. I am on a mission to get healthy, and because of some medications I have now accepted that my metabolism is going to be very very low for the rest of my life. That means I don't need as many calories to power my body - which I'm now considering efficient as opposed to a curse (being positive).

Remember that the theory of dieting is super duper simple - but the execution is the challenge.
  • Lohavio
    Lohavio Posts: 12 Member
    Try: The Serotonin Power Diet rules of eating. It helped me some. But I didn't like all the other recommendations so I use their ideas to manage some of my cravings. High carb snack an hour before your normal craving time, works wonders. But there are guidelines as to what the snack should have for macros.

Try: 5-HTP. I'm really taking it for depression, but some take it for food issues.

Try: Glucomannan pills. Okay, it's not for everyone but I'm liking it. I take my pills just before my normal snack times, chug a bunch of water, and then have a very low calorie snack (<50 calories, really just to get the taste of food in my mouth). I'm finding that the fiber pills in combination with the taste of food really let me skip my normal snack times. I'm short and my total daily calorie limits are low, so this little bit helps.

All cheater ideas which some people don't like but I kinda like them and thought I'd pass them on.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    If I'm craving something I either will try to fit it in my daily calories or try to find a healthier version. Pizza is not a problem for me I make a whole wheat pita veggie that's pretty low cal. Wanted some cheese cake the other week with lots of chocolate so ate a weight watchers smart ones dessert instead.
    Started adding some boco veggie crumbles in with my taco meat so they are more filling.
  • TyphonRex
    TyphonRex Posts: 79 Member
    Please tell me Iam not the only one that feels like the thoughts of food seems to take over???? Iam trying to get back in the swing of things, but these craveings are insane...Any advice???

The only thing that has really helped me consistently feeling the cravings and meeting them with an equal amount of outrage, anger, and indignation.

For me, it's late night fast food, and my inner monologue generally turns into something like this:

Do I want Wendy's? Hell yes.. hell no! **** you Wendy's! I want to be healthy and a normal friggin size! That's what I want more than anything, period! **** you Wendy's, **** you Fat Typhon, **** you bad habits for wanting to drag me down

I DESERVE BETTER THAN MOTHER****ING WENDY'S!

Or something like that.
  • vpadd
    vpadd Posts: 7
    I literally just died laughing reading this! I do the same thing! lol