Supplements like Hydroxicut

Options
I was just curious if anyone has tried any of these supplements that supposidly help with weight loss, and if they help. I was kind of considering using one of them, but I'm not really wanting to spend my money on something that isn't going to work.

Replies

• cherlinden
    Options
    I've tried them all. If you are overweight and have health insurance or can see a doctor, go see a family practitioner (general doctor) and ask them to prescribe you diet medicine. They will monitor your health, your heart (this is important), and give you good advise without trying to make money off your problem. My advice is NEVER go to those fake "doctors" that are for weight-loss only, go to your regular doctor. Mine prescribed me phentermine 37.5mg, which I cut in half, take half in the morning and half around 3pm. This gives me energy, keeps my apitite normal, and doesn't make me jittery. I get it at Costco for around $15.00 for 30 pills.

I have high blood pressure so I feel good knowing I have a regular doctor monitoring my health. If I don't loose weight, show progress or if my blood pressure gets too high, she will not continue to prescribe it. I hope this was helpful.
  • paulagabay
    Options
    Don't take Hydroxicut. It is not about the money but your health. I have heard horror stories of people dying of heart attacks using these products.
  • slm4
    slm4 Posts: 37
    Options
    Alot of these diet pills end up being so dangerous for your body. its not worth it-just exercise and watch what you put in your body and it will thank you in the long run.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    When will people learn not to turn to weightloss pills as an answer to their weightloss goals?

EAT RIGHT AND EXERCISE!

Diet pills don't work and are extremly dangerous to your health!
  • spartyhawk
    Options
    I would say not to use them, there are plenty of better ways to loose the weight and keep it off with not needing a quick fix. There is a rule that take the weight off fast it will come back just as fast, take it off the right way with regular exercise and watching what you eat or what the portions and it will come off. I was in the army for 11 years and have helped over 60 people loose 45lbs and pills are not the way to go. I wish you the best of luck and i hope you make your goal.
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I used it had weight loss then gained it back 3 fold when I quit eating right and working out!!! I also had chest pain which is not worth it!!!! Just eat right and exercise give it time that is what I tell myself!
  • sbarham
    sbarham Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good question. I did use Hydroxycut a few years ago and really liked it in the beginning. I could really tell I was burning more calories because I was getting so much hotter and sweatier during workouts (it's a thermogenic). BUT...not too long after I started taking it, I started having chest pains and pressure on my chest when I'd work out. NOT COOL. I stopped taking them immediately and haven't since.

The other thing to think about with supplements is the lure...they promise faster weight loss because you're taking their product. I always ask myself, "so what happens if I lose the weight and then stop taking their product?" I certainly wouldn't want to take something like that for the rest of my life to maintain weight loss. As someone said earlier, the most important ingredients to long-lasting weight loss are watching what we eat and exercising. CONSISTENCY of these is really the key, instead of being "all on" and then "all off" again. Doing the right things, just one day at a time, can turn into a lot of days and terrific long-term results. Keep taking advantage of the support on here! Feel free to add me if you'd like. Good luck!!!! :wink:
  • toxicbox
    Options
    I have taken a few of those supplements and found that depending on the person they can cause funny side effects (that they don't put on the bottle). I took one (can't remember the name) but it used to make me have muscle spasums (spelling?) so I quit taking it. I too have heard horror stories about people taking supplements. I took a green tea supplement and if you take it too much it can cause insomnia...

I know that some will tell you not to take them at all and just change your eatting habits. The reason for this: Supplements are only temporary. Supplements don't teach you how to eat healthy. So yes, you will lose the weight at first but might find a hard time keeping it off once you stop the supplements.

But if you are set on using them, just make sure you do research and don't take anything that has ephedra in it!
  • silvereyes01
    silvereyes01 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for you input! I wasn't sure and haven't really put a whole lot of research or even much thought about them. So it's great to hear the feedback! Whenever I think of diet pills it reminds me of the movie, Requiem For A Dream where they were addictive and had high doses of caffine in them, and it didn't end well for her. Good, but strange movie. Thanks again, everyone!
  • starzman2003
    Options
    I can't stress it enough. Go see your doc, let them know that you want to lose weight, then go out and do it.

With diet and exercise. Simple as that. I've kept it basic, and lost 70, so I know you can do it without pills like Hydroxycut.