How to reduce post-workout soreness?

Options
I signed up for group personal training sessions and had my first circuit training session yesterday. Today I can barely walk, move my arms or breathe for that matter. I have taken a hot bath with Epsom salts and am praying that I will feel better tomorrow.

Does anyone have other methods to help relieve this pain? I have 13 more sessions to go and I may not make it...

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Stretching, heat (think hot baths and bean bag things heated in the microwave), and pain meds (aleve works for me). You'll still be sore...nothing but time will truly help.
  • eheinze12
    eheinze12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    drink more water. :) stretch really well after your muscles are warm, even longer than you think you might need:)
  • LaurenRose2011
    Options
    The best product in the world is Biofreeze. You can order it online or pick it up at a local drug store. :)
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It will get better and you won't be as sore once you get through the first few days or so. You're body may just not be used to the exercises. The best thing to do is keep pushing through. Each time you stop your body/muscles have to start over so you'd be sore every time. Best thing is to stick with it. A good recovery drink would help too....GNC makes a good one. Hope you feel better quickly!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    it will get better with time. just keep with it.

i drink lots of water and take advil. make sure you bump your protein up to help re-build the muscles you are tearing down.

good luck!! :bigsmile:
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Good stretching afterward is a must. Also, I drink a protein shake within half an hour of working out to help the muscles begin to repair. You don't have to drink a shake, but the recommendation is to eat some quality, lean protein with in half an hour to an hour of working out - protein shakes are just handy and easy.

Hang in there - it will get easier!! Way to rock that first workout!!!!
  • ryan8b32
    Options
    Yes, make sure you're eating enough post-workout to recover. Protein with enough branch chained amino acids (BCAA's).

Like it has been previously stated, a post-workout recovery drink could help (mainly BCAA's). SciVation Xtend is a good one.

Keep hydrated and stretch, stretch, stretch...dynamic stretching before with a warm up and post-workout static stretching. I always stretch a good ten minutes pre and post-workout.

NSAIDS and other pain killers are actually not good if you're trying to gain muscle/lose fat. Someone else mentioned biofreeze...awesome stuff. In general, eat well and keep the workout routine up and the DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) will improve.

Good luck!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    STRETCH. PROTEIN. WATER before during and after!
  • HEATHERB500
    HEATHERB500 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the other stuff posted. Always stretch after the warm up if you are stretching before exercise. Question if you are doing circuit training is it done by time and you change machines, or are the machines where you can set the resistance. Is he having the whole group do the same amount of reps with the same resistance or the same speed durring time. Soreness is good pain is not. If you are in pain 1-10 scale you are a 5 or higher take a pain reliever. Nsaids like ibuprophen or aleive are good choices if you are not allergic and stick to the recommended dosing, because they have a slight antiinflammatory affect as well as pain releif. If you can do the same workout but lower the resistance/weight or speed on the weight training, I would you may need a little more time to work up to it.
  • kworkman
    kworkman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips! I just remembered that I got a bag full of samples from a health fair my company held a few weeks ago and there happened to be a sample of Biofreeze in it! Now, I just have to figure out how I can slather the small squirt of it all over my body.

I will definitely increase the stretching and drink more water. I thought I was doing enough but apparently not. I'll be buy recovery shakes tomorrow (if I can walk)!
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You don't need any pills, gells, or shakes...Take care of your insides--water, protein, walnuts and apples.

Water to cushion the joints and move the nourishment to the cells, protein for muscle repair (I have single pack lowfat cottage cheese or Greek yogurt after workout), and walnuts and apples are good for their inflammation fighting properties and antioxidants.
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My husband rides and races bmx bikes for fun. In one of their many training pages they suggested a COLD soak rather than warm. Apparently its heaven sent because we live in South America at 11000ft and it always chilly and he still soaks in his cold bath. I'm too chicken to sit in a tub of cold water but you might want to give it a try :drinker:
    cheers!
  • Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Oh isn't BioFreeze just the best thing EVER. My mom is a nurse for a Chrysler Assembly plant, and that's what they use to treat repetitive stress injuries/sprains or any kind of injury under the skin! I love it for workout pain, back pain and when I sprain my ankle (at least once a year!).
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I had a great tip from a spinning instructor that I had years ago. I was having trouble with multiple muscle spasms in my legs after my spining class workouts and especially while sleeping. She suggested that I take a magnesium suppliment before I go to sleep after a hard workout. I take a single calcium/magnesium suppliment with added vitamin D and it really works! Magnesium relaxes your muscles. No more muscle spasms, and I wake up in the morning after a hard workout with much less discomfort.