Anybody else who has to rely strictly on nutrition?

Options
I am recovering from brain surgery that forever changed me and my ability to work out. I cannot have a heart rate higher than 120. I absolutely loved and miss working out so much. This has made me have to really focus on nutrition, which is why i joined this site. Is there anybody else here in that situation? I have 40 pounds to lose. All gained thru my surgery and recovery process.

Replies

• dandelionwish31
    dandelionwish31 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    anybody?
  • k_poo
    k_poo Posts: 3
    Options
    No I exercise quite a bit because I love it. You can still be skinny but you won't be really lean or toned probably. Just eat very healthily, listen to your body and feed it what it needs, and do light exercise like go on a walk or something (: cardio does help your heart (it's called cardio lol) and exercise does help your body. Maybe it'll improve over time?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    when it boils down to it, we all really rely on calories to lose weight. Not quite to the same extent that you do, granted... but...

diet is for loss
    exercise is for awesome.

I see that tossed around a lot. I don't disagree.

That being said, if you've gained.. and are trying to lose... just focus on your intake. That'll be the key to losing. Once you get to the point that you can work out again, awesome.

For now? Take your time. Track your intake. Profit.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    It can be done I believe, as all you need is a calorie deficit, and not necessarily exercise to lose weight. That said, exercise has a myriad of benefits, and can make it easier to stick to a calorie deficit. Sorry to hear about your surgery, but perhaps you could look at low intensity cardio ? That shouldn't raise your heart rate too high, and personally I love walking :)

Just wanted to say, a heart rate monitor could prove very useful, to let you play around with different sort of activities, while ensuring you remain in a safe heart rate zone :)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I discovered something called the cronometer, which I began using in addition to MFP, because I was interested in the CRON (Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition) diet for longevity. I'm shorter and older (55 and 5'1.5") and trying to maintain at around 1200 a day. At that low level of calories, I have to be meticulous about the nutritional content of everything I eat. The cronometer measures both your macros and your micronutrients. It's an online tool at www.cronometer.com. If I find I am low on a major micronutrient toward the end of the day, I might plan to eat something that's high in it (for instance if I am low on Vit A, I might eat some carrots, or Calcium, a yogurt). I also take a multivitamin every day for good measure. I still use MFP, too, because it has a wider range of foods, especially commercial brands, and I like the forums and networking.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Oh man, that is tough for you. I'm so sorry.

How about Yoga? It would at least give your muscles a good stretch and keep you flexible. Light weight lifting?

I know cardio burns a lot of calories but so does resistance exercise and having strong muscles.

Again, so sorry this happened to you.
  • jfmorrison
    jfmorrison Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Are you still on steroids for the surgery? Those will keep the pounds on, almost no matter what you do.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,704 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear about your illness. I got really ill myself in 2011 involving 6 months in hospital including the inpatient rehab, and understand how life changing it can be. I do hope you can at least enjoy long walks.
  • AsterBellis
    AsterBellis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you posted! I have Multiple Sclerosis which has affected my ability to walk. I also have a very low heart rate so between the two I don't go much over 100 when exercising.

I have already lost 17 pounds with diet alone before I joined the site. I would like to lose 30 more.

I know it is possible to lose weight with nutrition alone. I lost 30 lbs doing weight watchers. But I gained it back when my parents became ill and I threw healthy eating out the window.

I was just reading Health magazine in the doctor's office today. There was a study done that showed diet to be important in losing weight initially and exercise important in the maintenance phase. But it was strength training and not cardio they deemed most effective. ( It was the September 2014 issue in case anyone wants to read it.)

Someone mentioned yoga which can really improve strength - especially in the core muscles. I used to go before my diagnosis but stupidly I stopped when it became hard. I should have switched to a less intensive class.

I have rambled a bit, sorry.

Go you, coming back from something so traumatic! Here's to your future!

Daisy
  • milliondays
    milliondays Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Depending on your resting heart rate, how about doing very few reps of light weights while watching TV? Working out doesn't have to be cardio. Another member suggested yoga. It's still not like working out, but at least you would be more active.
  • dandelionwish31
    Options
    trogaliciou,

Thank you!! You are so right and thanks for that reminder! my fitness pal has been amazing at teaching me portion control and the value of everything. I know I can do this.
  • dandelionwish31
    Options
    iloseityes,

Thank you! The problem is that the tumor was in my brainstem, which control heart beat and breathing, and that being damaged, I cant do anything that will rise my heart rate too high. My heart rate will also jump from resting to 140+ in seconds , if i start running for example. I tried yoga and I liked it and didnt make me faint. hahaha I used to burn over 700 calories in a workout. I did a test and did the cardio that I could without reaching that fainting state, I did the elliptical on incline so my legs would feel a burn even if i coulnt go slow. It took me 20 mins to burn 100 calories. so it was disappointing but encouraging at the same time. I have started doing strenght training. Long story short, i would have to do cardio for hours just to burn 500. I will join a joga class . it made my robot legs feel alive again. hahahaha I do need a better heart monitor, i am just not sure which are most accurate, i assume its the most expensive ones?
  • dandelionwish31
    Options
    rosebette,

Thank you so much! I will check it out for sure and read about those micro nutrients because I have no idea what it is hahaha I cant wait to know more!! :)
  • dandelionwish31
    Options
    oldmomma ,

Thank you! even tho it was painful thing to go thru on all levels, i gained so much more from it. I have been truly bless thru it all :)

I did try yoga and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would! I have balance issues so that was a bit challenging but I am not embarrassed easy so i just laughed by myself. hahaha It made my legs freel human again and i realised i can truly benefit from that. I just joined the YMCA for the yoga classes and the strenght training. I cant do cardio because a rise of heartbeat is very bad for me, but I can get muscles as long as I work slow :)
  • dandelionwish31
    Options
    Are you still on steroids for the surgery? Those will keep the pounds on, almost no matter what you do.

Amazingly, I never needed them. I was discharged with no prescription medicine at all and my neurosurgeon said it was a first. I was in GREAT shape before all this, and the success of this surgery and the rehabilitation was attributed to me being in excellent health otherwise. The nurses joked around that I was an alien. haha

I friend of mine i met thru brainstem surgery facebook page gained 125 pounds because of steroids she was on for months, and I always feel ashame to complain of my 40 pounds gain.
  • dandelionwish31
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear about your illness. I got really ill myself in 2011 involving 6 months in hospital including the inpatient rehab, and understand how life changing it can be. I do hope you can at least enjoy long walks.

I am so sorry about what you went thru also!! It has been an incredible journey for sure! We gain so much from an experience like this tho do we? It's a blessing in disguise in a lot of ways.

I can walk, but not too fast. I tried yoga and slow pace strenght training and loved it. .I used to work out like a machine. GO go go cross fit, everything. I miss it, and to me, going slow and yoga sounded horrible and boring, but here I am, learning to love it haha
  • dandelionwish31
    Options
    I am so glad you posted! I have Multiple Sclerosis which has affected my ability to walk. I also have a very low heart rate so between the two I don't go much over 100 when exercising.

I have already lost 17 pounds with diet alone before I joined the site. I would like to lose 30 more.

I know it is possible to lose weight with nutrition alone. I lost 30 lbs doing weight watchers. But I gained it back when my parents became ill and I threw healthy eating out the window.

I was just reading Health magazine in the doctor's office today. There was a study done that showed diet to be important in losing weight initially and exercise important in the maintenance phase. But it was strength training and not cardio they deemed most effective. ( It was the September 2014 issue in case anyone wants to read it.)

Someone mentioned yoga which can really improve strength - especially in the core muscles. I used to go before my diagnosis but stupidly I stopped when it became hard. I should have switched to a less intensive class.

I have rambled a bit, sorry.

Go you, coming back from something so traumatic! Here's to your future!

Daisy

Thank you so much. and dont apologies for rambling. that's not rambling, that a great conversation! I really am encouraged by what you shared about the article you read! It really keeps me motivated and I truly beleive all of it!!

I am so sorry about your Multiple Sclerosis. My doctor sent me for a MRI when my symptoms started because they were identical of the ones from MS. We were certain I had it, but nope, it was a brain tumor that was affecting my body just like MS, but at a much faster rate. My cousin has MS and I know all that it means. :(( Is it under control? my cousin took a long time to find what medicine combination worked for her.
  • dandelionwish31
    Options
    Depending on your resting heart rate, how about doing very few reps of light weights while watching TV? Working out doesn't have to be cardio. Another member suggested yoga. It's still not like working out, but at least you would be more active.

Thank you! I have tried yoga and will continue to do so. My tumor was in the brainstem, which control heartbeat, breathing etc. It gets all out of whack very quickly. I can do anything too fast, but i am really good now at knowing to stop something or do it differently. My resting heartrate varies a lot. its not consistent. I have been doing weight lifting again but very slow and its been great! I didnt pass out yet so i think im good to continue hhahaaha
  • milliondays
    milliondays Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    mamaklute, if you were able to burn 700 calories per workout, you're a pretty tough cookie. Yoga would make me faint from boredom, but I suppose one could get used to it. Life's so weird anyhow, and we all adjust to so many changes. I can't even recognize myself on old pictures. Who knows, you might end up liking the new you better than the old you!