Coconut Oil for weight loss?

Options
I have just recently heard of the wonders of coconut oil and about how it has helped many people lose weight, so I would like to try eating 1-2tbsp per day. However I would like to know whether stopping eating coconut oil after a period of time will cause weight gain after weight loss by the coconut oil

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is the new snake oil! It's not magical or special. It contains calories like anything else. Eating coconut oil is just the same as eating olive oil, or butter. Count it towards your daily totals so if you enjoy eating it or use it in recipes then by all means use it but don't take it like a supplement and expect to see weight come off. There simply ins't research to support it as a weight loss supplement.
  • LeonXC
    LeonXC Posts: 68
    Options
    I used it. It's hogwash. The coconut oil industry laughed all the way to the bank.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It's great for skin and hair.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If you want to add coconut oil to your diet in lieu of other fats, cool. It's not some magical substance though. Just a nice fat. :wink:
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is the new snake oil! It's not magical or special. It contains calories like anything else. Eating coconut oil is just the same as eating olive oil, or butter. Count it towards your daily totals so if you enjoy eating it or use it in recipes then by all means use it but don't take it like a supplement and expect to see weight come off. There simply ins't research to support it as a weight loss supplement.

^this
  • CarmenSRT
    Options
    It's great for skin and hair.

It's one of the main oils I use for making soap. Buy the stuff by the 25 lb bucket for that purpose. :happy:
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Another vote for that answer right there. ^

Weight loss comes from being in a calorie deficit. If you like coconut oil, use it and count it toward your daily calorie intake just like anything else. But if you simply add coconut oil to your normal diet and usual portions expecting to lose weight because of it, you will be very disappointed. Coconut oil has about 120 calories per serving, just like other oils and fats do.
  • CarmenSRT
    Options

I took the time to chase the rabbit down the hole on this article.
    The first study cites children with epilepsy. CO was deemed fine for epileptic children with large appetites who could do with more calories. The second study cited involved rats. The rats fed the medium chain fatty triglyceride diet gained less weight and body fat than the rats fed with long chain triglycerides, but they did gain weight. The third study involved 8 men, for four periods of 24 hours each. The benefit of using medium chain tris in this group of 8 men was their bodies kicked out a bit more heat over the period. The average benefit was approximately 120 calories. The men ate their normal diet PLUS the oil. In that case the benefit was a wash, as the added calories were on top of their normal diet. The fourth study involved 19 overweight men. The group that ate MCTs lost about 2.2 pounds on average over the four week study while the LCT group lost 1.36 lbs. The next study cited involved 17 obese women. Why this study was cited escapes me, as it didn't demonstrate any change in body composition between MCT and LCT rich diets. The authors state the results were not statistically significant, then try to force significance on it anyway. Total crap. The next study cited involved 12 men, claimed that a breakfast with MCTs held off the amount of time until the next meal was requested and the amount eaten at that next meal. There was no quantification of either claim so I went and found the whole text of the study. Turns out the time difference until lunch was requested between eating the MCT rich breakfast and olive oil rich breakfast was a whopping 13 minutes. They had also failed to mention that one group had been given LCTs in the form of lard as well. The lard group difference as contrasted to the MCT group? One minute.

At this point I started getting annoyed with the article's author. It was pretty poorly researched. Yes, there does seem to be some small potential benefit to MCTs, but only when swapped for LCTs, not in addition to. I'd suggest you swap CO for whatever other fat you may use in your diet. It certainly can't hurt. :wink:
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil absolutely helps with weight loss!

If you're eating at a deficit :laugh:
  • CarmenSRT
    Options
    Coconut oil absolutely helps with weight loss!

If you're eating at a deficit :laugh:

Hope springs eternal though. I'd personally love a magic bullet for weight loss. :laugh:
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook sometimes, mostly when making Asian foods (because of the sweetness), and I mix it with coconut flakes or coconut butter and eat it with berries. When I do eat it outside of cooking, it is because I like the way it tastes and because it makes my snacks with fruit more filling. Other than making me less likely to still be hungry after I eat fruit, I can't say that it directly helps with weight loss.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil in cooking sometimes. My DH doesn't like the taste but we do
    use it when making popcorn and it has a great taste.
    Since I have been losing weight I think it has helped me. I also drink coconut water
    after I exercise. I heard it's better than Gatorade to replenish the electrolytes.