Dietary Review

Options
Hey folks,

Looking for a little extra insight to my progress. Starting January, I admitedly 'fell off the wagon'. Happens. And got right back on after getting my things together in May. Afterwards, been a rough battle, knowing I was 208lbs at the start of January and ended up a heavy 223 lbs aftewards (OUCH!).

So I did my calculations (the Roadmap thread has been a great guideline), checked my macros, bought a scale, and started again.

So far, I've made it to 215 -214 lbs again, good progress, but I feel like I'm stalling here. Going over my journal several times ( I know I'm missing pieces and weekends are rough estimates, I rarely have time to sit down), and while I don't exercise as much (or at all sometimes), I feel like I'm missing a key piece. Been macro watching as well, making sure my carb intake isn't sky rocketing, but not reduced entirely either. (I'm not doing low carb)

Journal is open, so I'm open to opinions.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't read people's diaries, but I congratulate on getting back in the fight and wish you luck!!! :)
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I only looked at this week, but you have absolutely no produce except for mashed potatoes on one day. Have a piece of fruit and a salad WITH dinner, not instead, because your calories are also very low.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Guesstimating and not logging accurately will be the most likely cause you've stalled - it's really easy to underestimate - I have learned this through experience.

Also, you may need to run your numbers again, with your new weight, to get the deficit you need.

ETA: I also see a lot of vague entries (turkey meatball sauce etc.) if you made these yourself and used the recipe builder, fine. If not, I would log every single item that goes into your meal.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of quick add calories in your journal, almost on a daily basis. If you are trying to keep an eye on your macros, that's not going to give you the entire story. Some days that is all you tracked. Some days look incomplete. Work on the accuracy and consistency of your logging.

Read this to help get your logging as accurate as possible:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

I would also suggest adding sodium to your tracker. You may be going over on this and it will cause you to retain water if you are way over all of the time.
  • mellie0627
    Options
    IMO, Eat more protein. You seem to max out your carbs but come in way under on your protein. I don't know what your macro splits are, but more protein is almost always better particularly if you are carb sensitive. You might consider buying a lower carb whey protein powder and using it instead of the instant breakfast. Protein shakes are very filling and have helped me stave off snack munchies.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You're heavier than I am, and a man, AND you're eating less food than me?

Methinks you're undereating. But you are probably also grossly mis-logging. As mentioned, quick add calories. You bought a food scale but most of your entries aren't weighed? You're also eating a lot of junk. Now, I'm not against junk food, have been eating cheesecake almost daily for a week. But you need variation, you need to fuel your body in a way that's going to allow you to feel as good as you can. Plus, fast food is going to be harder to track accurately.

Stop making excuses, make this a priority, and start taking control of what you are eating. You can still eat Chik-Fil-A, just stop eating it DAILY multiple times a day. Meet your protein minimums, try to get more produce in there (the fiber will make you feel better), drink fewer of your calories, and log daily for a while. I log every day, I've only not logged once because I went to a party and decided not to try guessing at my calories for that evening. You say you don't have time on weekends, but that's most likely untrue. If you really don't think you have time, then prelog your weekends and eat what you logged. Simple as that.

Also I'd suggest recalculating your calorie needs. I like these websites (the latter will give you a higher estimate, either average them out or use the lower estimate to start out with and see how you feel):

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

These call for AVERAGE daily activity. If you do 40 minutes of moderate exercise 4x a week, then averaged out for the week that's about 23 minutes a day. Etc for the rest of your activity.
  • ana3067
    Options
    I would also suggest adding sodium to your tracker. You may be going over on this and it will cause you to retain water if you are way over all of the time.

I 2nd this. I have been eating more sodium lately but also have not been drinking enough water, and I'm definitely retaining some water right now. Eating more sodium is okay unless your doctor tells you not to, but the more water you drink the less water you will retain from all that salt you're eating.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

I know I'm missing pieces and weekends are rough estimates, I rarely have time to sit down

This is your issue. Weigh what you eat, log accurately, and you will see results. You are only cheating yourself if you don't keep an accurate picture of what you eat! If you don't have time on weekends, pre-log it, or log on Monday after so at least you have an idea of what you are eating and can tweak it or be more mindful on future weekends.
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Guesstimating and not logging accurately will be the most likely cause you've stalled - it's really easy to underestimate - I have learned this through experience.

Also, you may need to run your numbers again, with your new weight, to get the deficit you need.

ETA: I also see a lot of vague entries (turkey meatball sauce etc.) if you made these yourself and used the recipe builder, fine. If not, I would log every single item that goes into your meal.

All those 'vague' entries are my recipes. All of them with every ingredient added and proportioned for serving sizes. So yes, those arn't really guesstimates.

Technically I run my numbers every 10 lbs. I do 20% off my TDEE, which is, with a desk job, about 2400. This is based off BMR, TDEE, and Body Fat % through Fat 2 Fit tools, and deficiency size based on "In Place of a Road Map V2.0" (Sadly cannot find the forum thread anymore, shame it was such a good post).
    IMO, Eat more protein. You seem to max out your carbs but come in way under on your protein. I don't know what your macro splits are, but more protein is almost always better particularly if you are carb sensitive. You might consider buying a lower carb whey protein powder and using it instead of the instant breakfast. Protein shakes are very filling and have helped me stave off snack munchies.

For now macros are split at Carbs 40%, Fat 30%, Protein 30%. I actually am trying to push for more protein these days, always have, which is why much of my recipes have been changed to work with that. Protein isn't easy to boost without nailing heavy calories or adding something else. Take some, give some, I'm still balancing things out.

Honestly, I'm not really a snacker. Often the worst I'll do is a 4oz cup of Swiss Miss hot chocolate (no sugar added).

I know I'm missing pieces and weekends are rough estimates, I rarely have time to sit down

This is your issue. Weigh what you eat, log accurately, and you will see results. You are only cheating yourself if you don't keep an accurate picture of what you eat! If you don't have time on weekends, pre-log it, or log on Monday after so at least you have an idea of what you are eating and can tweak it or be more mindful on future weekends.

I'll keep that in mind. Most of my numbers are just remembering what I ate, and add up the rough estimate, but I can see where you're going. Only hurting myself in the process.
    You have a lot of quick add calories in your journal, almost on a daily basis. If you are trying to keep an eye on your macros, that's not going to give you the entire story. Some days that is all you tracked. Some days look incomplete. Work on the accuracy and consistency of your logging.

Read this to help get your logging as accurate as possible:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

I admit, didn't use them as often before. They became a slight crutch when it came to getting the right amounts. One example is my morning routine, the Breakfast essentials, normally I used Skim or No Fat milk. However, recently my store didn't have anymore and only had Hi-Protein variation. I don't like wasting money on bottles of something every morning (I don't skip breakfasts), I opted to take it. But since the site doesn't have a measurement for the milk with the essentials, (and sometimes the milk itself), I just add 100 calories to Snacks, which as I used as the 'misc' part of my logging for anything that doesn't quite fit. True, throws off my macros, and I hate doing that, but need another option. I'll look into that forum, see what I can do, thanks for the reference.

As for sodium, I'll try doing that. On that note, though, been taking a water bottle to work with me now, and almost all my drinks during lunch and dinner are water, flavored of course, but still water, often with crystal light or just water with slight flavoring and minimal additives.
    You're heavier than I am, and a man, AND you're eating less food than me?

Methinks you're undereating. But you are probably also grossly mis-logging. As mentioned, quick add calories. You bought a food scale but most of your entries aren't weighed? You're also eating a lot of junk. Now, I'm not against junk food, have been eating cheesecake almost daily for a week. But you need variation, you need to fuel your body in a way that's going to allow you to feel as good as you can. Plus, fast food is going to be harder to track accurately.

Stop making excuses, make this a priority, and start taking control of what you are eating. You can still eat Chik-Fil-A, just stop eating it DAILY multiple times a day. Meet your protein minimums, try to get more produce in there (the fiber will make you feel better), drink fewer of your calories, and log daily for a while. I log every day, I've only not logged once because I went to a party and decided not to try guessing at my calories for that evening. You say you don't have time on weekends, but that's most likely untrue. If you really don't think you have time, then prelog your weekends and eat what you logged. Simple as that.

Also I'd suggest recalculating your calorie needs. I like these websites (the latter will give you a higher estimate, either average them out or use the lower estimate to start out with and see how you feel):

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

These call for AVERAGE daily activity. If you do 40 minutes of moderate exercise 4x a week, then averaged out for the week that's about 23 minutes a day. Etc for the rest of your activity.

I've considered that fact, I normally aim not to eat lower than my BMR (which from calculations is around 1850) but no higher than 20% less of my TDEE. I'll double check my numbers when I got a moment. Though shamefully, I admit, restaurants like McDs are adding calorie counts to their menus (though I often raise them a bit, they often overstuff the items, IMO), and we got plenty of the counts on here as well. Honestly, I've been favoring joints like that so I can tell how much I'm putting into the log, or get a rough idea how much I have, then log, then plan accordingly.

As for produce, I often try to keep stocked, but monthly shopping trips (I shop on a budget still), and the embarrassing fact that, while I don't gorge on em, they don't last long in my house (especially fruits. If they fit in the diet, I will be snacking on them often), any veggies are often applied to my recipes, and added to the food. Though yes, I've been pretty light on them, now that I'm looking at it again.

Lastly Activity. Okay, no lies or excuses, I just don't do any, and that's mostly due to my life being busy as it is. I work IT Department in my job, and activity there varies every day, some days I'm at the phone all day, others I'm busy moving equipment between floors, others its a mix. Wake at 6:00AM, out the door by 6:30AM, at work by 7:30AM, on the phones till 11:30AM, 15 minute lunch (I'm a work-a-holic), then work till 5PM, home by 6:30PM (Houston roads suck), and in a small space between that and 10PM, I'm cooking dinner, showering, prepping for the next day, and taking care of daily business. Then squeeze 8 - 7 hours of sleep, rinse, repeat. (8-7 hours a must, I refuse to cut short, I cannot function with less the next day)

I've been hunting for opportunities to expand activity, at least 30 minutes a day during workdays. My old job (the one I lost in December, why I had the January to May slump, unemployment wrecks diet plans sometimes) was in a refitted mall. 15 minutes for lunch, then 30 -45 minutes for a brisk walk back and forth. Miss that place honestly, but eh, ce la vie.
  • Marksman21
    Options
    Okay, that was whole LOT of replying in one post, so summing up what I got:

1. Less focus on Quick Calories. Good for small bouts (like adding up for missing calories), but shouldn't be so heavily relied on.

2. Plan better on weekends. They need to be logged, not estimated over number crunching.

3. Watch Sodium now, and add more water intake (though not sure how much more I can add at this point, I'm doing more than 8 cups a day now)

4. Check my values better: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide (Thanks, jkal1979)

5. Double check my numbers again. Then do it again.

6. MOAR PRODUCE!! (gotcha nice n' loud)

Thanks folks, I'll put this to the test. Feel free to add more if you want. I've made some great progress recovering, from 224 to 214 starting from the end of May, but I don't want that to stall now. I haven't lost track of my goal, and I'm still ready to get there.

No ifs, ands, or buts ... just lessons learned and steps made.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Try buying a large (32 or 24oz) water bottle that is labeled on the side, and try drinking one of those every 1-2 hours. Basically you want to drink enough to maek your urine pretty clear, although if you eat a lot of salt then you might want to drink more water. I usually try to drink my 32oz bottle 4+ times a day, which is about 16 cups basically, or more.

I see you mentioned Fat2fit, did you enter your goal weight as your current weight? Otherwise it will not provide you with an estimated maintenance for your current weight. Scooby's is another great site to check out as well.

Also, use the recipe feature on MFP. That way you can enter in all your ingredients, and if you know that you want it split up into say, 4 servings, then put that in. Then the 4 times you eat it, you select it from your "my recipes" tab and it will do all the calculating for you. Or, something I often do when I'm going off of final weight of the entire dish, is set it as being 1 massive serving. So if total dish is 655 grams, and I take out a 233 gram serving, the I'd mark that as being 0.36 of a serving.Again it will calculate macros and calories.

As for protein, I eat 160+ grams a day on a 2000-2100 calorie diet and only half the time I use a protein powder. Low-fat or no-fat cottage cheese and greek yogurt, part- or fully-skim cheeses, low-fat jerky, lean cuts of meat (especially poultry), tuna and some other fish (although most fish is higher in fat, but still worth eating), egg whites, turkey bacon, a bit of peanut butter when you can afford more fat for the day, adding protein powder to baked goods... these are all things I turn to for protein. I also do whole eggs and fattier meat too, but if I need to focus on adding protein then the things I listed above are good resources. Also I think beans are okay for protein? Great for fiber though (same with air-popped popcorn).

Do you have the phone app? If not, utilize it. Put foods you eat very regularly into your custom food (don't select to share with MFP) and that way you can access the nutritional info with or without internet access. I do not have data on my phone, but 99% of what I log is in my custom food. If it's something I'll eat once, or I'm just being lazy, I might scan or look it up and just look at the macros only for a better idea of my calorie consumption, but otherwise it's very easy for me to log on the fly. Have a notepad on you and write it down if you can't use the app, but just be careful about how much you are eating before you can run it through to check the calorie count. Your example of the different type of milk, that's a custom food that you can create in 60 seconds and delete when you no longer need it. Unlike the "recent" and "frequent" tabs, there doesn't seem to be a limit on how much you can have as custom. I think I have like 7 pages now for custom foods?

You don't need to work out to lose weight, but if you want to.. then honestly it's about making it a priority. You have 3.5 hours between getting home and going to bed, so.. why not just go for a 30 minute walk around the block every night or something? Also, try cooking large recipes on weekends, enough to last you the whole week. You can easily make like 3-4 dishes if you want a lot of variety. Or cook meats and carbs in bulk so you can just grab food during the week instead of having to make something every night. That gives you more time to work out a bit. This would also be a good way for you to use up some fresh produce. For example, I LOVE me some mac & cheese. A good way to make it a bit more health-conscious or simply to reduce the calorie density of a serving is to do something like a 1:1 ratio of meat+veggies to cheese+pasta. Or 2:1 of meat+veggies to cheese+pasta. It tastes delicious too. And if you aren't buying produce/food regularly (is there a reason you aren't making more frequent trips?) then why not try buying a lot of frozen stuff? I buy frozen fruit because it's an easy way to have fruit on hand at breakfast to mix with my oatmeal, or I can have berries last a lot longer.. you could even try freezing your normal fruits/veggies, and look into which produce last the longest when bought fresh. OH, and you can do crock-pot dishes on the fly so that they are cooking while you're at work. Just plop ingredients in there in the morning and bam, dinner is practically calling your name come home-time.
  • Marksman21
    Options
    Try buying a large (32 or 24oz) water bottle that is labeled on the side, and try drinking one of those every 1-2 hours. Basically you want to drink enough to maek your urine pretty clear, although if you eat a lot of salt then you might want to drink more water. I usually try to drink my 32oz bottle 4+ times a day, which is about 16 cups basically, or more.

Got a 28 bottle I take to work. Usually gets refilled twice a day, when I have the free time. Usually 11 cups of water a day.
    I see you mentioned Fat2fit, did you enter your goal weight as your current weight? Otherwise it will not provide you with an estimated maintenance for your current weight. Scooby's is another great site to check out as well.

That's exactly how I do it.
    Also, use the recipe feature on MFP. That way you can enter in all your ingredients, and if you know that you want it split up into say, 4 servings, then put that in. Then the 4 times you eat it, you select it from your "my recipes" tab and it will do all the calculating for you. Or, something I often do when I'm going off of final weight of the entire dish, is set it as being 1 massive serving. So if total dish is 655 grams, and I take out a 233 gram serving, the I'd mark that as being 0.36 of a serving.Again it will calculate macros and calories.

See above, I do that. As said, some folks pointed out 'vague' items, those are actually just non-published meal recipes I put together using exact ingredients and parted into serving portions, adjusted accordinly when I record.

As for protein, I eat 160+ grams a day on a 2000-2100 calorie diet and only half the time I use a protein powder. Low-fat or no-fat cottage cheese and greek yogurt, part- or fully-skim cheeses, low-fat jerky, lean cuts of meat (especially poultry), tuna and some other fish (although most fish is higher in fat, but still worth eating), egg whites, turkey bacon, a bit of peanut butter when you can afford more fat for the day, adding protein powder to baked goods... these are all things I turn to for protein. I also do whole eggs and fattier meat too, but if I need to focus on adding protein then the things I listed above are good resources. Also I think beans are okay for protein? Great for fiber though (same with air-popped popcorn).
    Do you have the phone app? If not, utilize it.

Sadly I got a 2001 Nokia Brickphone. No apps for me. But thanks for the info regarding the custom, didn't know that. [/quote]
    You don't need to work out to lose weight, but if you want to.. then honestly it's about making it a priority. You have 3.5 hours between getting home and going to bed, so.. why not just go for a 30 minute walk around the block every night or something?

Not the safest part of town for walks (not bad neighborhood, just cruddy lighting in the middle of a tourist town and not a lot of 'walking' space). I have been looking into a new stationary bike, as I used to use one a LOT a few years ago till the thing broke a year into use (warranty quit shortly before >.<). May go that route again, as I had a system of gaming on a console and biking at the same time. (Say what you will, it kept me focused on biking without getting bored, and still got a good run on it)
    Also, try cooking large recipes on weekends, enough to last you the whole week. You can easily make like 3-4 dishes if you want a lot of variety. Or cook meats and carbs in bulk so you can just grab food during the week instead of having to make something every night. That gives you more time to work out a bit.

I'm a leftover maniac here. I don't cook it if I can't make it last for at least 4 meals in total. I get what you mean, I just need to add time to acquire more produce to add to those meals. So I think I'm good there.
    And if you aren't buying produce/food regularly (is there a reason you aren't making more frequent trips?) then why not try buying a lot of frozen stuff? I buy frozen fruit because it's an easy way to have fruit on hand at breakfast to mix with my oatmeal, or I can have berries last a lot longer.. you could even try freezing your normal fruits/veggies, and look into which produce last the longest when bought fresh.

One big word. Budget. For the longest time I worked on contracts and even suffered through unemployment. With a tight wallet, sometimes bulk buying during the month saved more money, so produce couldn't be constantly refereshed. Old habits die hard, and I'm a frugal miser when it comes to spending. Apples are usually my big buy because they last a while, and I devour them often. (within diet restrictions)

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep some of these in consideration, but looks like half of this I already do, guess I can take that as being on the right track in those regards. Still, any help is worth it, critical or not. Thanks.