My HRM and Garmin Forerunner 110

Options
So, my heart rate monitor for my Garmin forerunner 110, is a chest strap. I have been using it for 3 weeks and have had absolutely no hassles, other than tightening it too tight my first jog with it and it bruised me. Saddled too many horses, I suppose . . . tighten that girth! Anyhoo . . . the last two days it has decided to play a little game of skip. I will look at it, it will read, what feels like a reasonable HR for what I'm doing . . . I look again and it isn't reading AT ALL, then it'll skip right back on and read relatively, as far as I know, accurate. Hmmm, I wrote Garmin. But my question is . . . if anyone cares to venture an answer . . . does that make my total calories burned less than it should be? I mean is it only counting calories when its able to read the heart rate? Cuz at this point . . . its only reading, maybe 65% of the time. My workouts tonight, its the lowest reading I've ever gotten on this workout. It could be a bad night, i suppose. Hmmm.

Replies

• justinmcdaniel83
    Options
    I don't know about the Garmin watches but I have a Suunto T4d (it has the chest strap as well) and I know that if it slips down too far or isn't reading my heart rate (which only happened to me the first time I ran with it because I had mine too loose...) it won't count my calories burned. Like I said, I don't know about the Garmin but mine won't because the heart rate plays a large role in figuring the calories burned (along with your age, weight and other info).
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Go figure, the HRM is right on today . . . two days and 3 workouts it was wonky . . . now its fine. An hour long run and had no problems. Thanks the input!