If I eat 1300 calories how many should I burn?

Options
I'm trying to lose at least 25 more lbs.
If I eat 1300 Calories is it ok if I burn around 450 calories a day?
Thanks

Replies

• michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you're talking 1300 NET calories, that's fine, but if you aren't eating back your calories that's only 850 calories net and I feel that the amount isn't enough to maintain your lean body mass. You'll lose weight but may not have the look you're after at the end of the day.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I focus on my intake, and on the quality of my workouts - not how much the workout burns.

Calorie deficit for weight loss - exercise for fitness.

Some days I burn 500+ calories because I ran 5 miles. Some days I burn 250 because it was dumbbell supersets and not so much cardio. I still eat the same - food is fuel, and the body needs it to fuel those workouts.

As long as you're staying in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. Just make sure it's a reasonable deficit - cut cals too low and you risk saying goodbye to your lean muscle right along with any fat you lose, plus you eventually run into the problem of running out of steam, exhaustion, no desire or energy for workouts, and all of this often leads to yo-yo dieting.

MFP works great, but keep in mind that it has you at a deficit BEFORE exercise - meaning you could eat all your calories (yes, all of them, goal means GOAL, after all :smile: ), do zero exercise, and you'll lose. When you burn off more through exercise, eat at least a good portion of those cals back to avoid creating a larger deficit and running into the problems I mentioned above.

Good luck!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    There's no set answer to that. How much do want to lose, how fast? What's your everyday lifestyle like? Are you eating your burned calories or doing some other method of counting? The quick answer is...experimentation will show you how to succeed. But....1300 is not a lot of calories to begin with, and if you're not eating back your exercise calories....you're heading into VLCD territory---not good.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    make sure to never go below 1200-1300 NET calories meaning if you eating 1200 calories and exercise away 200 you need to EAT 200 MORE calories to stay at 1200. 1200 - 200 exercise = 1000 + 200 = 1200 :) it will show you net calories at the home page after you add in exercise.
    If you don't eat back calories and you only net like 850 you'll be getting shaky and losing weight too quickly which can cause more harm than good.
  • OceanLove3
    OceanLove3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank You for your feedback.
  • OceanLove3
    OceanLove3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I focus on my intake, and on the quality of my workouts - not how much the workout burns.

Calorie deficit for weight loss - exercise for fitness.

Some days I burn 500+ calories because I ran 5 miles. Some days I burn 250 because it was dumbbell supersets and not so much cardio. I still eat the same - food is fuel, and the body needs it to fuel those workouts.

As long as you're staying in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. Just make sure it's a reasonable deficit - cut cals too low and you risk saying goodbye to your lean muscle right along with any fat you lose, plus you eventually run into the problem of running out of steam, exhaustion, no desire or energy for workouts, and all of this often leads to yo-yo dieting.

MFP works great, but keep in mind that it has you at a deficit BEFORE exercise - meaning you could eat all your calories (yes, all of them, goal means GOAL, after all :smile: ), do zero exercise, and you'll lose. When you burn off more through exercise, eat at least a good portion of those cals back to avoid creating a larger deficit and running into the problems I mentioned above.

Good luck!

-- Well said! Thank you for your feedback, very helpful! :)