Can you tell me why I am not losing weight ??

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Once you learn to lose the weight, please forward the secret to me!!

find out how much you need to eat. find out how much you're eating. after 6 weeks of doing the same thing, if you're not losing weight... eat less.

repeat process until desired results are achieved.

or you can have some tips: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'll have to agree with the users who are saying it's not weight you should be focused on, but measurements. I'm 5'0" and 125lb, but I have more muscle than fat on my body, so the scale only hurts my feelings lol.

If there are certain areas that you want to shrink, I think you should keep one of those loose measuring tapes handy. :]
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    For a 32 year old, 5' 4" woman:

Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 123.0 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 129.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 120.6 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 119.7 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 107.8 lbs - 145.6 lbs

I don't write this to make you feel bad for wanting to lose more weight. But I noticed you seemed panicked about not losing five pounds when you're already 115 lbs small, so I wanted you to see in black and white that you're actually already quite perfect (or even a little smaller than the norm) according to the math and science. Hopefully this will help you understand that even if it takes a little time to lose the weight, you're already ideal. :)

If you feel panicked, however, because you feel that you look "fat" - you might want to check into a little talk therapy about that, as that is not a healthy place to be in, in your mind. Just a suggestion.

^This. It would appear that 'weight' is not your issue. If you are unhappy with the way you look at your current weight, perhaps try some form of resistance training to 'tighten' things up a bit. If you see yourself as fat (size-wise) then perhaps therapy would be a good idea.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you are 5'4" and 115 lbs it is going to be extremely difficult to lose another 5 lbs. Your BMI is already on the low healthy/borderline underline scale. I'm 5'4" and I stopped trying to lose weight at 125 lbs. Maybe re-think your goal weight and come up with another plan. If you have a couple lbs of fat you want to lose and want to retain some muscle definition, maybe focus on the strength training. The scale might not move but you should be losing inches. And be patient!
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options

For light exercise I get

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) : 2949 kcal
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) : 4027 kcal
    Daily calories based on goal in step 6 : 3222 kcal

If I consume 4027 for sure I'm not going to maintain :bigsmile:
  • hwendyh
    hwendyh Posts: 6
    Options
    totally agree :)
  • clamoru
    clamoru Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 107.8 lbs - 145.6 lbs

I don't write this to make you feel bad for wanting to lose more weight. But I noticed you seemed panicked about not losing five pounds when you're already 115 lbs small, so I wanted you to see in black and white that you're actually already quite perfect (or even a little smaller than the norm) according to the math and science. Hopefully this will help you understand that even if it takes a little time to lose the weight, you're already ideal. :)

If you feel panicked, however, because you feel that you look "fat" - you might want to check into a little talk therapy about that, as that is not a healthy place to be in, in your mind. Just a suggestion.

^This. It would appear that 'weight' is not your issue. If you are unhappy with the way you look at your current weight, perhaps try some form of resistance training to 'tighten' things up a bit. If you see yourself as fat (size-wise) then perhaps therapy would be a good idea.

I understand what you say, but during many many years my weight was 110 pounds and I never looked sick, neither I had to do much for keep the same weight, just to run. However since I married 10 months ago and I had changed my eating habits , I had gained some pounds, until have 115-116. It does not seems too much, but if I do not take care of it, in a few years I will be overweight as is my grandmother now. So I decided go back to my previous weight and try to adopt a healthier life style.
  • clamoru
    Options
    With only 5 lbs to lose, you will NOT lose very quickly. Your body slows down your weight loss considerably once you start getting into the healthy weight range. Give it a couple more weeks and take measurements--you may be shrinking without actually losing weight. The scale isn't the best way to measure your progress when you are so close to your goal, because your sodium intake, water retention or even if you're just sweating a lot, can affect your weight by several pounds one way or the other.

Good advice, thanks
  • FlowersInTheDirt
    FlowersInTheDirt Posts: 124 Member
    Options

This.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

For light exercise I get

I'd bet you entered something incorrectly on that website.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I understand what you say, but during many many years my weight was 110 pounds and I never looked sick, neither I had to do much for keep the same weight, just to run. However since I married 10 months ago and I had changed my eating habits , I had gained some pounds, until have 115-116. It does not seems too much, but if I do not take care of it, in a few years I will be overweight as is my grandmother now. So I decided go back to my previous weight and try to adopt a healthier life style.

How long have you maintained at 115 since you started watching your eating habits and exercising? If you are more conscious of what you eat and maintain a healthy lifestyle - there's no reason to believe you'll keep gaining a half-pound a month (averaging it out based on the 5 pounds in 10 months you indicated). I think now that you've realized it COULD be a problem if you kept with those habits that had started creeping up, you can keep it from happening without letting the fear of it consume you. :)
  • clamoru
    Options
    It's only been 3 weeks and you only have 5 pounds to lose. If you just started a new exercise routine, your muscles could be holding water. Be patient.

How long a muscle can hold the water ??? What can I do for avoid it ??

Answer: Stop being a human being.

In all seriousness, water retention is a normal part of life. It's not a bad thing or something that should be "avoided". In fact, if your muscles didn't retain water a few days after a workout, I would be very concerned. You can "avoid" excess water retention by reducing your sodium intake, but this doesn't have an overall effect on your goal of losing body fat.

Instead of saying "I want to lose weight" say "I want to reduce body fat percentage."

I want to reduce fat percentage . I want that some day my thighs be firm columns, not just cellulite gelatine as they are now.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    At this point I would stick to weight lifting and losing no more then half a pound a week and if that. It won't be easy because you're already at a healthy weight...
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

For light exercise I get

Yeah, if you're a 28-year-old female doing light exercise, you would need to be over 6' tall and 475 pounds to have a BMR around 2900, according to Scooby's.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

I think this sheds some important light on what you're *really* thinking (and feeling) here....

Underneath your post, I think, is a deep fear.

To a point, it's a legitimate fear! We've all watched certain relatives and friends "let themselves go" - especially after getting married and/or having a baby. It almost seems inevitable... women get pregnant, eat more, gain a bunch of weight, lose some of that after the birth (but not all), and spend the rest of their lives trying to hold back the weight creep...and usually losing the battle in the end.

So you are wise to be trying to put things in place to prevent this.

I think though, you might be a *tad* misguided on what that prevention means.

To you, if you don't get back to where you were at 110 when you were younger, then you will definitely, absolutely become like your grandmother. Losing the weight, you believe, will give you a strong sense of "control" over your situation. It will mean everything is alright again, and you won't have to worry about your future.

The thing is...that kind of thinking is bit superstitious. You're fixating on a number and believing that until you reach that number, you're cursed.

I think what we're trying to tell you is that....this is not true.

You are at a beautiful weight, in fact, even under a bit. You're "safe" right now, in terms of weight-to-height. As long as you *maintain* this weight using healthy habits, then you will keep yourself from the "creep".

Perhaps you've been nursing some overeating habits that make you nervous. Maybe you're eating some foods you know trigger you into wanting more and then you feel like you can't stop. Is there anything going on in terms of your patterns that worry you? If so, I believe that is truly what is underlying your worries. IMHO, *that* is what should concern you, not the number on the scale.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, the most likely explanation is that you're eating more than you're burning.
    It doesn't matter if it's "clean" or "filthy."
    It's only been a short period of time, so just be patient. If you still aren't losing after, say, 6 weeks of accurate logging... then you're eating more than you think / more than you need to lose.
    Yep. This.
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options

For light exercise I get

Yeah, if you're a 28-year-old female doing light exercise, you would need to be over 6' tall and 475 pounds to have a BMR around 2900, according to Scooby's.

I triple-checked yesterday ... :noway:
    I entered the exact same values today except for the calibration factor which I left blank and I got correct numbers. :bigsmile:
    I misread that part of the form, my bad :laugh:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight, you need to see someone about why you want to lose weight. 110 at 5'4" is underweight by BMI.