NSV: kicking the food obsession?

Options
elid
elid Posts: 209 Member
One of my more serious barriers to weight loss has been food obsession. I'd think about food all the time. I mean, all the time. When I was eating, I'd think about eating more. When I wasn't eating, I'd think about what food I could eat later. If I was laying in bed trying to sleep, I'd think about food. And if I denied myself food, it became the object of my undying attention!

Well, since I started my Lifestyle Change, for ages, the weekends have been "cheat" day(s) for me. I always felt like I needed a night to cut loose and eat like I used to! Just one night a week! I still lost weight doing that, and for a long time it worked fine. If I ever got the desire to binge or eat huge quantities, I'd just remind myself I could do it Friday or Saturday, and I'd eat better the rest of the week.

However, apparently without my even knowing, I've stopped needing the cheat days. I don't know when this change happened, but I first noticed it at Christmastime. While visiting family, I decided on Dec. 24 and 25 to just cut loose. And I sure did. I think it was 3700 calories on Christmas Eve alone! At one point, I just sat at the cookie tray for about 10 minutes and ate cookies. And ate more cookies. And then some more cookies.

It was awful. I didn't enjoy it one bit. I did it anyway, don't get me wrong. But even today I still haven't figured out why I did it. I felt absolutely ill and embarrassed for myself.

And now, I've noticed I don't cheat so much on the weekends any more. Since I still tracked even on my cheat days, I could see how badly I did. And last Saturday I went out for a burger AND a milkshake. My net calories ended up at -127. That's really not bad for a "cheat day", especially for me!

Today I realized that all week, I've been low on calories. If I wanted to, I could have myself a night full of snacking and still have a nice low weekly average. So I had some candies, had a little ice cream sandwich, stuff like that, so I wasn't exactly eating clean today. But I'm still 150 under.

And that little voice in the back of my head telling me to eat, eat, eat is sounding quieter and quieter. Will it ever be gone completely? Probably not. But I'm feeling elated that I might actually be starting to pound it into submission! Maybe someday I'll have a normal relationship with food! :bigsmile:

Replies

• wendyannvantiem
    wendyannvantiem Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ive noticed ever since i started my diet and exercise plan I haven't had any cravings for the crap I was eating before. I figured I would cheat a bit but so far I have been good. I know what ya mean about having food on the brain, it used to drive me crazy!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    great job! great post!!!
  • paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    Great post!
  • Scarletblue
    Options
    I still have food on the brain, I hate it, I can't wait until it becomes a distant memory.
  • svgaedtke
    svgaedtke Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to what you said. I have one major cheat meal per week, and I find the next day I feel guilty so I eat under my net calories and it always kicks my weight back into gear the next day. I always lose weight after a cheat day followed by a restricted day. I've heard that calorie zig zagging is great for your metabolism. So go ahead, go crazy! lol

Your weight loss is very inspirational and you are obviously doing something right! Don't beat yourself up if you go crazy on Christmas or every once in a while... it's the big picture that matters!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!