A few ?'s about C25K on a treadmill

Options
jsmerdel
jsmerdel Posts: 20 Member
Hello all. I'm new to this site and to running. I'm trying to get healthy and get into running. I'm interested in C25K after reading about it online. I want to use my treadmill to start and maybe move outside later on. But I have a few questions.

1. At 6' 0" 222 lbs, with no history of running, what should my MPH be for the Walk and Run portions of the program?

2. What do people use to breakdown the times? Is there a recommended app that I can setup for the intervals laid out in the program? Or something else I'm not thinking of?

3. What constitutes a good 5K? What should my goals be by the end of the program?

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Replies

• LoopsKSR
    Options
    I've been using this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.c25k&hl=en for a year now (on and off) and it's awesome. It will tell you when to run, to walk and to start your cool down. It's designed to be safe for people with no running history at all (like i was when i started) and as long as you keep on it, it won't fail you.}

As for the MPH, maybe check with a doctor. As far as i know there's a limit and when you reach it you should stop. Maybe get a heart rate monitor. Or someone once told me that if your chest hurts when you breathe, it's a sign that you're going too fast or hard and should take a rest walk or slow down a bit.

When you get to the 8th week of C25K, you should be able to run non-stop for 30 minutes. If that's not 5k yet for you, it's ok, just keep on going and you'll get faster eventually or try running 35 minutes, or 40, of whatever takes you to your first 5k. For me, the good 5k it's the one i can do and improve, so don't feel you have to get to the 5k at 30 min. or less.

good luck! c25k is awesome!
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday (just walked today during the "rest day") using the Zombies! Run! 5K app (it's a secondary app to their main running / interactive story / rpg app) because if I have a story I'm more interested than just listening to some robotic voice, hahaha, but there are lots of apps out there that have the run / walk segments as audio queues so you don't have to think about it. So far as a treadmill goes, I'm not sure what mph you would need but with no running experience I would start with a brisk walk (mine is around 3.25 mph but I have short legs) and a slow jog (for me it's around 4.5 mph or so - again, short legs). I have no running experience either, for the record.

When you start it's ok to just baby step it - you don't need to go from nothing to running full tilt on the first day. As you gain strength and endurance you can then pick up the speed.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm new to this site and to running. I'm trying to get healthy and get into running. I'm interested in C25K after reading about it online. I want to use my treadmill to start and maybe move outside later on. But I have a few questions.

1. At 6' 0" 222 lbs, with no history of running, what should my MPH be for the Walk and Run portions of the program?

2. What do people use to breakdown the times? Is there a recommended app that I can setup for the intervals laid out in the program? Or something else I'm not thinking of?

3. What constitutes a good 5K? What should my goals be by the end of the program?

1. I started the program at about you weight and on the treadmill. The website says if you're just starting, make your runs as slow of a jog as you can manage, if you can go any slower, you're going too fast. Test yourself on the treadmill and increase speed gradually. At what point are you able to break your walk into a run without having balance issues? Set that as your running speed. As for walking speed, set one that is not too slow or too fast. A bonus if it's easily accessible on the treadmill quick-buttons. For me I did 4 kph for walking and 6 kph for running (2.5 mph/3.8 mph) because I can easily press those on my treadmill interface. Your numbers will be different since you're taller.

2. I made my own progression since I started really overweight and out of shape. I used the times laid out by the program but changed the duration. For example, I did week 1 for 2 weeks then on third week I did a combination of weeks 1 and 2 (the first half of the program at week 2 setup and the second at week 1 setup). For example: walk 5 minutes for warm-up, do 3 rounds of 1.5 minutes running and 2 minutes walking then 4 rounds of 1 minute running 1.5 minute walking. Basically moving from one progression to the next took me 3 weeks each.

3. Go for time, not distance. You will want to be able to run 30 minutes regardless of the distance you go. Later after you finish the program you can try increasing your speed gradually by 10% every week until you are able to run 5k in 30 minutes (you would have to run at 6.2-6.3 mph to cross 5k in 30 minutes)
  • jsmerdel
    Options
    thanks for the response man. I'll look into the app, though I'm on iPhone but I'm sure theres an equivalent.
  • jsmerdel
    Options
    @amusedmonkey & michikade. Thanks so much for taking the time to share that. Thats very helpful. Theres an overwhelming amount of info online but hard to find specifics.

If this post is any indication of the support I'll find here I'm very enthused.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey & michikade. Thanks so much for taking the time to share that. Thats very helpful. Theres an overwhelming amount of info online but hard to find specifics.

If this post is any indication of the support I'll find here I'm very enthused.

You are quite welcome. :)

Oh, I just remembered that the Runkeeper app has a C25K schedule on it in training but I don't know if it does the audio queues. That's a free iPhone app (that I use religiously for my walks) and it syncs here too. Perhaps if it does audio queues that may solve your app question too :)
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    People give up running, IME, especially heavy runners, because they start too fast. My partner is 20 pounds lighter than you but your height and he does the program at 4.5mph or so.

When you go outside you may find that you have to go back a bit and run/walk again. But, once you build up muscular and bone endurance outside, you will probably run faster than you do on the TM.
  • GunbunnyFuFu
    GunbunnyFuFu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last year on a treadmill (before stopping in October...blargh). IIRC correctly I started around 3.6 MPH. From what I've read, you should be able to carry on a conversation and jog. If you can't, you're going too fast. And I agree with Amusedmonkey...go for time, not distance. You can always run through the program at a higher speed once you get through the first time. I'm currently doing C25K and running outside...it's certainly different that running on a treadmill, and I've found that I like running outside more. I use an Android App called Run Double. It too has the audio cues of when to start/stop, and allows me to stream my music while running, fading out the music to give the audio cues. It's a paid app though you get the first two weeks free...based on its usability, however, it's one that I'd pay for. I'm sure there is an IOS equivalent!

Good luck!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I am on week 5, day 3 of the actual C25k app.

I started at 3.5 walking and 4.5 running, but now I do 3.7 walking and 5.8 running.

It's tough, and I repeat days frequently if I'm struggling.

Good luck

And I'm just a hair under 6 feet myself
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I used the podcasts here: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

They helped so much! Can't recommend enough!
  • pcknits
    pcknits Posts: 33 Member
    Options
  • TWYZISK12
    Options
    I downloaded the C25k on my phone it works great and you go at your speed - it tells you when to walk and run you can even listen to your music as you do it and the the robotic voice cuts in when its time to switch from a walk to a run.
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    I work with a personal trainer who has her clients "walk" at 4mph. When I first started my c25k there was very little difference between my walk and my run, so I kept repeating the short intervals, with a focus on increasing my speed. I never did get to 6mph running, but that was my goal.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    1) There is no set time for anyone regardless of height, weight, etc. Just go at whatever pace you feel comfortable with. And don't push your walk speed as you'll sap your energy for the running part. For instance, i CAN walk as fast as 4mph pretty comfortably but if I go that fast, I won't have enough energy to get through all the running intervals so I walk around 3.5mph. When I first started running, I went around 3.8-4 mph and now run close to 6mph (when I'm doing it steadily).

2) When I did it, I just paid attention to the times on the treadmill (or my watch when running outside) but I would definitely check out the apps as keeping an eye on the clock can make it feel like it takes forever.

3) Don't worry too much about your 5k time just yet. Get through the program, work on distance first, then speed work.

Additional thoughts:
    If you're having a hard time breathing, you're probably running too fast. Slow down.

I agree, don't worry if you have to repeat days/weeks or augment the increases. At some point there's quite a jump in run time and that can be pretty rough. I actually ended up just doing my own program because I was very out of shape and new to running and couldn't handle the way the program was set up.

Listen to your body. If you're in pain, take more rest days. Don't push too hard and risk injury.

Make sure your shoes have the proper support and cushioning.

Best of luck!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

1) Honestly, I don't think you need to have a "set" number for this. C25K is more about getting your body into the shape where you can complete one...at all. If you are as I was, you're going from really sedentary (most likely) to trying to get into a decent amount of activity (the "30 minutes a day" we're all supposed to be getting ideally..) I would suggest you utilize your own heart rate monitor...OR..the heart rate monitor attached to the treadmill if it has one and just make sure you're not pushing into the danger zone.

2) I don't have a Smart Phone so I do it "old school"...I run with a kitchen timer. I'll let those who have the shiny gadgets chime in on this one...

3) A "good" 5K time is completing one. My personal goal was 30 minutes (10 minutes a mile more or less..) but yours may vary. I ended up doing it in 30:45 but it was a REALLY hot day and I was feeling it (most of my training was done in the cool of the evening) so I felt like it was a success. I still run even though the program is over and now I'm trying to build my endurance up for a half marathon. :wink:
  • jsmerdel
    Options
    Thanks everyone for chiming in on this. I have a hard time with things that are left to interpretation or with variables. I like everything laid out in stone. But I think I can manage to find my own pace here and just hearing to do it slow and then work on the times is good for me. That gives me something to work with.

Really appreciate it.
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use the C25K FREE app on my iphone. It tells you when to walk and run with a 5 minute warm up and cool down. I usually switch between the treadmill and outside depending on time of day and temperature. I'v only gotten about halfway through so far and I will be starting it over next week in hopes to be able to run a full 5K Thanksgiving morning.
  • jsmerdel
    Options
    I use the C25K FREE app on my iphone. It tells you when to walk and run with a 5 minute warm up and cool down. I usually switch between the treadmill and outside depending on time of day and temperature. I'v only gotten about halfway through so far and I will be starting it over next week in hopes to be able to run a full 5K Thanksgiving morning.

I purchased the app and have started using it this week. Works great. I'm doing 2.5mph warm up, 3mph walk and 5mph run intervals.

Hopefully that will continue to work for me all the way through. Then I can start again with faster speeds or adding an incline.

What walk/run speeds do you find comfortable? And by halfway do you mean 4 of 8 weeks?
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I completed the Couch 2 5k the first time (redoing it now) almost exclusively on a treadmill. I had never run before! I did 3.5 mph walking and 5 mph jogging. I had the incline up to 3 (not sure what %), since I read it is best to have some incline if you plan to switch to street jogging later on.

To keep track of run/walk times, I wrote them on my hand or a piece of paper. Very low tech, I know, haha.
  • jsmerdel
    Options
    Thats awesome. Hand or paper works. I don't really keep track of it, I plan to keep it the same the whole way through and just concentrate on the longer run intervals, maintaining proper technique and breathing then as I said trying to increase the speed or incline when I'm ready to start again.

I'm not using an incline just because I want to ensure I get through it this first time and give myself that confidence to keep going. I've never been into running or anything really so I'm keeping it as easy as it needs to be to keep me from quitting.