New to MFP and have celiac disease :(

I have been diagnosed with celiac disease for 3 years now and bouncing around with my weight (52 yrs old) everyone said I would lose weight dropping the gluten from my diet but I have been anywhere from 245-281 since June 2011. A good friend told me about MFP so I thought I would give this a try. Anyone dealt with the same issue that now has success with MFP?

Replies

• WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    My dad has had it for about 7-8 years now(he is also diabetic) and has struggled to drop pounds. But he eats chips and drank diet pop a lot. He is slowly getting better at it though. Just be sure to cut out the diet pop as it's fake sugar triggers insulin release and then you end up craving more sugar to get rid of said insulin. If that is your thing, it is better to give your self a treat of one can a week. And cut out any candy/chips/junk food. Those are where a lot of the calories come. You may subconsciously be eating this stuff(or other high starch foods) to make up for not being able to eat gluten. Convert to brown rice and rice pasta to be your carbs.
  • Thank you for insight!! It seems that healthy eating is still a tricking thing. The only sugar grams I had on my first day of MFP were from fresh fruit and agave nectar in my tea. So my plan is to limit my fruit intake today to one serving. And my calorie intake for yesterday was under my goal for the day but over on sugar. Good luck to your dad :)
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Sugar from natural fruits isnt actually all that bad. Just keep an eye on what fruit it is and the sugar level and you can have more than one a day.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    for most people getting rid of gluten doesn't mean dropping weight because often they replace white bread with gluten free white bread (which I believe is WORSE than just eating bread because you're eating nutrient devoid starch flour) gluten free pasta, gluten free ice cream... ya know everything is now free reign if it's "gluten free" keeping in mind gluten free items usually have more calories than the stuff that contains gluten.

Carbs are not the enemy FYI. I would suggest the works of neal barnard, john mcdougall, etc. I have lost plenty of weight eating as many carbs as I please. Fruit is great for digestion and the sugars don't give you that huge spike like table sugar does.

oh and if you're worried about sugar and such the last thing I would consume is agave nectar. That stuff has more fructose than high fructose corn syrup and all the new research indicates it's WORSE for you than just plain sugar, and if you have diabetes its not the "miracle syrup" most people think, it can actually have more affect than plain sugar. In simple terms = ditch the agave.
  • Ok cool I never thought about it that way. Again thank you for all your help!!!!
  • RubberBugggy
    RubberBugggy Posts: 27 Member
    HI: I have celiac plus : meaning I can't tolerate any grains. I can have pseudo grains such as quinoa, chia, buckwheat. Also no dairy. I am allergic to the protein.

I agree with everyone. Ditch the agave and watch out for high fructose corn syrup - a killer. Try to eat unprocessed food. A modified Paleo diet should work well for you. If you can tolerate dairy - then add some judiciously.

I am on the Every Other Day diet. It is working for me.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Wait, you're celiac and still eating gluten and not wanting to rip out your insides?

:ohwell:
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    First off if you have celiac STOP EATING GLUTEN. Trust me on this one. My wife has it, therefore I am almost entirely gluten free too. Living with it isn' that hard, you just have to make some changes and be aware of what is in our food. Once you cut it out of your diet you will feel a million times better. And the extra hassle will be worth it.

Feel free to add me, ask me questions, ask for recipes ect.
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    I've been diagnosed for nearly 12 years. I haven't (voluntarily) had gluten since 2002, and believe me, if I make a boo boo, it's SOOO not worth it. I did not lose weight, in fact, I gained about 60 pounds. Feel free to add me if you like.

Sharon