Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I can't believe that I don't feel hungry..strange

I'm on day 40 on MFP and lost 12 lbs. The first two weeks I was SOOO hungry, but now I can't even get myself to eat enough to meet my daily goal. About 2-3 weeks ago I figured our that my BMR is about 1600 based on a sedentary, no exercise lifestyle (desk job) and my TDEE was about 1830, so I decided to only eat enough to meet BMR and then have the 330 TDEE difference plus whatever exercise I do be the deficit.

In the very beginning, I was eating back my exercise calories, but had a daily calorie cap of 1200 calories. After learning about macros, TDEE and BMR I re-evaluated everything so now I'm trying to get to that 1600 each day and many days I can't get there. I'm just not hungry and I don't want to force it.

I'm wondering if let's say during the week I ate under my goal, but then on the weekends went over if I would still be ok...or is consistency very important?

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Why would you go over on the weekends? You say you're not hungry so wouldn't you be not hungry on the weekends as well?
  • GlynnisSapsfordHey
    GlynnisSapsfordHey Posts: 23 Member
    I don't think going over your daily goal is a good thing. But I do understand that it is hard to use up your daily goal. The something happens to me. I have only came close to using my daily goal twice in 5 weeks. The way I look at it is if I am not hungry then so be it. But when I do eat I make sure I include fruit and veggies twice daily. Good luck
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Ah I don't understand that either. Your point being you're not hungry but your question is if its okay to go over your caloric allowances on the weekend??
    Gonna smoke pot on the weekend and get the munchies?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I'm on day 40 on MFP and lost 12 lbs. The first two weeks I was SOOO hungry, but now I can't even get myself to eat enough to meet my daily goal. About 2-3 weeks ago I figured our that my BMR is about 1600 based on a sedentary, no exercise lifestyle (desk job) and my TDEE was about 1830, so I decided to only eat enough to meet BMR and then have the 330 TDEE difference plus whatever exercise I do be the deficit.

In the very beginning, I was eating back my exercise calories, but had a daily calorie cap of 1200 calories. After learning about macros, TDEE and BMR I re-evaluated everything so now I'm trying to get to that 1600 each day and many days I can't get there. I'm just not hungry and I don't want to force it.

I'm wondering if let's say during the week I ate under my goal, but then on the weekends went over if I would still be ok...or is consistency very important?

So long as your total calories in is less than calories out, you will lose weight. I watch a weekly deficit rather than a daily one, personally. It's just the way my exercise schedule lays out and the food items I have chosen not to give up or modify
  • Liftng4Lis
    I guess that would be a negative??
  • moldovitsa
    moldovitsa Posts: 15 Member
    I would want to basically meet my calorie goal for the week, if I can't do it by the day. My mindset is that:

1. You have to consume your BMR so as not to go into starvation mode or deprive your body of nutrition.

2. Once I get to the maintenance phase, I don't see living on 1200 calories a day for the rest of my life, that's just not feasible considering my height etc. I'm worried that if I don't hit my daily goal of 1600 now then my body will get used to a lower caloric intake and I'll gain once I'm in maintenance. Or if I hit a plateau, I won't be able to cut calories further since I"m already at the bottom with 1200 daily.

So my question was, if I'm not able to hit my goal each day during the week, but allow myself more calories on the weekend
    (more chances to overeat, going out to dinner, grilling etc.), will that prevent my metabolism from slowing down.

I've lost weight before. It's keeping it off that's my main concern, so I want to lose it slowly and figure out a way keep it off long term. I do like food and I like to eat, so I know long term living like I do now is not going to work.

Does this make sense?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I try to stay in goal during the week...but sometimes I am under...and yes I do make it up on the weekends usually...alcohol does that...mind you I am not under by much..usually about 100 a day.

But for me as long as I am in weekly goal all is good.

As for eating when not hungry...hunger is not the best indicator of what the body needs...

If you drive a car and it burns 3/4 of a tank...then you put in half a tank and drive back you are on empty...that's how I equate eating and my exercise...I eventually if I don't eat my food will be on empty and won't be able to go anywhere.

As for PP...starvation mode is a myth as described there.

If you are having a hard time meeting goals eat more calorie dense foods like avocado, nuts, seeds, full fat dairy etc. Heck even a beer or pizza works...
  • moldovitsa
    moldovitsa Posts: 15 Member
    If you are having a hard time meeting goals eat more calorie dense foods like avocado, nuts, seeds, full fat dairy etc. Heck even a beer or pizza works...
    [/quote]

I'm following a low fodmap diet and my diet is even more restricted due to that, but that will only be temporary, so that's another reason why I know that down the line I should be able to meet these goals and will want to eat more. Right now, many foods like pizza, avocados and beer etc. are not an option until I have my digestive situation figured out, but once my diet becomes more liberal and I start reintroducing things, I'm worried I will gain the weight back and this will all be for nothing.

Thank you all for your input though. I may be overthinking this, but I just really want to get this whole thing figured out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    I would want to basically meet my calorie goal for the week, if I can't do it by the day. My mindset is that:

1. You have to consume your BMR so as not to go into starvation mode or deprive your body of nutrition.

2. Once I get to the maintenance phase, I don't see living on 1200 calories a day for the rest of my life, that's just not feasible considering my height etc. I'm worried that if I don't hit my daily goal of 1600 now then my body will get used to a lower caloric intake and I'll gain once I'm in maintenance. Or if I hit a plateau, I won't be able to cut calories further since I"m already at the bottom with 1200 daily.

So my question was, if I'm not able to hit my goal each day during the week, but allow myself more calories on the weekend
    (more chances to overeat, going out to dinner, grilling etc.), will that prevent my metabolism from slowing down.

I've lost wait before. It's the keeping it off that's my main concern, so I want to lose it slowly and figure out a way keep it off long term. I do like food and I like to eat, so I know long term living like I do now is not going to work.

Does this make sense?
    Absolutely, I'll stop trying to be funny. I would so listen to Stef she's my hero!