DIABETES i need help

Options
I have type 2 Diabetes. i dont take meds (no INS). Anyways i need help to set a good number for my sugars for my app. can someone help?

Replies

• TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You should be concentrating on your carb numbers and not just your sugars. If I were you, I would be eating protein and vegetables, low fat dairy, nuts and eggs. Carbs are your enemy if you are a diabetic. Lots of low carb groups on Face Book with great recipes.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I agree partially with what TrailNurse said. Focus on low carbs but consider eating high fat - it's called a ketogenic lifestyle. Do some research on it. The low carbs will regulate your blood sugar and insulin levels and high fat will keep you satiated. I've lost 52 pounds since March while battling PCOS (not medicated). Keto has worked wonders for others with type 2 as well. Here's some info to get you started, if you're curious:

http://authoritynutrition.com/10-benefits-of-low-carb-ketogenic-diets/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You should be concentrating on your carb numbers and not just your sugars. If I were you, I would be eating protein and vegetables, low fat dairy, nuts and eggs. Carbs are your enemy if you are a diabetic. Lots of low carb groups on Face Book with great recipes.

^^ this. You should also meet with a nutritionist. My doctor referred me to one when I was first diagnosed. They can help you with your diet and exercise program. Typically, a starting carb intake goal per meal is about 45-60 grams. My current target is 40 per meal and 20 per snack. Tracking your blood sugar is critical to see how your body responds to the carbs you are ingesting. The MFP food log here has been a great help. You can go into your settings here and adjust the carbs, proteins and fat percentages to be in line with your diabetes goals. I've stopped tracking my sugar intake but instead focused on getting my fiber goals met. If I keep under my carb goals and hit my fiber goals, I keep my blood glucose numbers in check and lose weight. My A1C went from 8.4 to 6.0 in 8 months. I've lost 29 pounds since the beginning of July. Have to credit the success to logging my food and moving more.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The ADA guidelines for daily carbs and sugars are too high.
    Go as low as you can on carbs and sugars. Keto (or very close to it) would be excellent
    ~Eat protein like meat, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts with
    ~fats and oils and
    ~leafy greens like various lettuces, spinach, kale, collards, cabbage, swiss chard, radicchio, mustard ,bok choy,
    Broccoli rabe, summer squash, mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini, asparagus, bell peppers,
    cauliflower, eggplant, acorn (winter squash). spaghetti squash, gren beans, ions, okra, carrots,

If you have ever made a quiche before, make it crustless like here:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/main-dish/quiche/crustless-quiche/

Or this with pecans as the crust for turkey cutlets:
    Dijon Turkey Pecan
    4 servings at 469 calories
    5 oz. PRO, 5 g. CHO
    4 (4-ounce) turkey cutlets
    1/4 cup Grey Poupon® Mustard, divided
    1 1/4 cups Planters® Pecan Halves, ground
    1/4 cup margarine or butter
    3/4 cup chicken broth
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    Pound turkey cutlets to 1/4-inch thickness. Spread cutlets with 2 tablespoons mustard; coating both sides. Generously coat both sides with ground nuts. Cook cutlets in margarine or butter in skillet over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until done, turning once. Remove to serving platter. Keep warm. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons mustard, chicken broth and lemon juice in same skillet to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly. Serve warm sauce over turkey cutlets. [Serves 4.]
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have type 2 Diabetes. i dont take meds (no INS). Anyways i need help to set a good number for my sugars for my app. can someone help?

10 grams of sugar
    120 grams of carbohydrate

Do that for 2 weeks and see how your blood glucose level looks.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    There is no set amount of carbohydrate, or even a set diet, that works for every person. The current guidelines recommend individualizing your diet so that you can manage blood sugar levels and also eat an overall healthy diet. Ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian who can help you pinpoint places where you can make changes in your eating habits and work with you to develop an eating plan that is right for you. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • colobon
    colobon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There is no set amount of carbohydrate, or even a set diet, that works for every person. The current guidelines recommend individualizing your diet so that you can manage blood sugar levels and also eat an overall healthy diet. Ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian who can help you pinpoint places where you can make changes in your eating habits and work with you to develop an eating plan that is right for you. ~Lynn /Glucerna

I second going to a dietician or a diabetes counselor. Most doctors can refer you to a free local class. I have Type 2 but was not living like I did. Get the education and then track and log your blood sugars. That's the only way to know how your body reacts to what you eat. Your exercise level also impacts blood sugars.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

I second going to a dietician or a diabetes counselor. Most doctors can refer you to a free local class. I have Type 2 but was not living like I did. Get the education and then track and log your blood sugars. That's the only way to know how your body reacts to what you eat. Your exercise level also impacts blood sugars.

^ This . Tracking blood sugar levels has helped me a lot in seeing just what foods and exercise helps to control it.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    OP stated she has no financial access to a doctor, any kind of medical -type professional, or to testing strips.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    OP stated she has no financial access to a doctor, any kind of medical -type professional, or to testing strips.
    I didn't read that in OP's post.

If you can, see a dietitian or diabetes educator. Depending on where you live, there may be a free service associated with your regional hospital or health service. If you are unable to access such services, there is some good evidence based information on most national diabetes association websites about managing sugar levels, targets, diet, exercise etc.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    there is some good evidence based information on most national diabetes association websites about managing sugar levels, targets, diet, exercise etc.

There is some real rubbish there too, like the recommended "five types of sugar" breakfasts. Nothing to do with their corporate sponsors, of course.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Paleo Lifestyle: no wheat, potatoes, corn, legumes, or dairy.
    Your blood glucose doesn't spike when you eat plenty of protein and animal fats.
    Vegetables and fruits are measured against their glycemic index numbers;
    I offset my veggie cravings by putting plenty of BUTTER on them!
    Bonus: you hardly EVER feel hungry.

Please see:
    marksdailyapple.com
    wheatbellyblog.com

Best wishes from another Type II diabetic!
  • RodaRose
    Options
    there is some good evidence based information on most national diabetes association websites about managing sugar levels, targets, diet, exercise etc.

There is some real rubbish there too, like the recommended "five types of sugar" breakfasts. Nothing to do with their corporate sponsors, of course.

Exactly. Their information is mostly horrible.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

agreed.
    bloodsugar101.com helped me a great deal when I first started out 2 years ago. I don't know where you are located, but you can purchase a glucometer & strips rather cheaply at Walmart (Relion I believe is the brand). No prescription needed. Can be ordered on Amazon.com too.

Anyhow, the above listed website will help you. Good luck & there's a group on here you might want to look up for additional questions & support.

edited to add more info
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Lol, nowhere near as horrible as some of the information I read on here though.

I've haven't seen the 'five type of sugar' breakfasts recommendation and had no luck googling it. Who are the corporate sponsors behind it? I would be interested to hear more about it.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    there are t2 diabetes groups both on here and widely available online.
    i would join them and ask there.
    i am sure other diabetics can help more.
    whichever country you are from surely must have some type of free diabetic health care?
    many diabetics have extra meters,strips or meds they could donate,If appropriate.
    gl
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'd speak to your Doctor who hopefully will refer you to a dietician. Taking advice to do with a medical condition from an online forum is not really advisable. Speak to professionals that you can actually see their qualifications
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'd speak to your Doctor who hopefully will refer you to a dietician. Taking advice to do with a medical condition from an online forum is not really advisable. Speak to professionals that you can actually see their qualifications

OP says they do not have medical coverage & no access to a medical professional right now.

As far as seeing bad advice to Diabetics on MFP, considering this is a dieting site, I'm not surprised. However, one would think a site specifically geared to diabetics should have far higher standards, no?
  • smforeman1
    smforeman1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with diabetes about 25 years ago. I am 72 years old and 5 years ago I had gastric bypass surgery because there was a lot of hype about it being a cure for diabetes. I was able to go off MEDS at the beginning but when I started eating--even though I was eating low calorie things, my diabetes returned. My A1C was 7.7 at my last dr appt and I decided I had to do something. I spoke with a new nurse in the dr's office who has specialized in diabetes and she told me to eat no more than 26 carbs a day. I was taking four insulin shots a day plus two Metformin each day. After limiting my carbs for just three days I stopped all of the medication! My sugar readings have been in the normal range and I feel great. In addition, I have lost 8 pounds in a week. I hope for this to be my way of eating from now on!
  • babsfit14
    Options
    I am also Type 2 and have been taking Metformin for a couple of years now. But until now I have not been eating appropriately or exercising enough. I decided to consult a registered dietician (my GP has never recommended this to me) and fortunately with my health insurance I did not need a doctor's referral. I found one who is in my provider network who I like very much. She is partnered with a family practice in what I would call a "country doctor" setting, and she advocates controlling sugar and carbs, avoiding sweeteners whenever possible (I use Stevia in my coffee and tea), eliminating artificial sweeteners, and simply eating REAL foods. She recommended MFP to me to use the food and exercise logs, which has been the real eye opener. I would definitely recommend seeing a registered dietician. Ask your doctor for a referral if you need to. Keeping the food journal keeps me honest because I know I have to report to my RD and it keeps me from eating something that I wouldn't feel good about reporting to her. It's early days yet and I haven't lost that first pound yet, but my body feels so much better - no sore joints, headaches, indigestion, etc., so I think I might be on the right track. The hard part for me is getting more exercise, but I'm working on that too. One day at a time!