Help.... what one thing should I do first?

Options
Hi,

I am just starting out after having weighed myself and wanted to cry! I am trying to work out a plan of action and I need to work out what to do first.

I will be back at work as of Monday so I will be able to get into a routine again so I am planning to go to gym 3 times a week regularly at the bear minimum.

Foodwise - I think this is my problem, snacking, take-aways so I am in the process of planning meals now to stop that.

So I am asking, what is the one thing you did first...and please don't just say reduce calories, I want to know how..... ie did you stop eating chocolate? Did you decide to stop drinking? or stop eating takeaways? I am going to stop take-aways, as I think they are one of my weak points.

Advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You could try tracking what you have been eating as this will show you where the high calorie/high fat foods are.

Don't give up everything all in one go as you will feel deprived, so cut one thing out like takeaways this week, log everything and then see where to go from there.

It is all about lifestyle change rather than just a diet which has a start and end point, this is forever.
  • sen1961
    sen1961 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would say to start weighing & measuring the food that you eat. Get a food scale, measuring cups & spoons. You will be surprised how much you can over eat by just guessing a serving size. I weight & measure everything I eat from home. At first it is a pain but you get used to it. Don't give up everything just work it into your daily calorie amounts.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    The easiest way, I find, to do it is try not to think of it as a diet and I can't have this or that. Everything in moderation is the key, so that you can stick to it and not give up after a few weeks. I eat what I have always eaten but I am more mindful of my portion sizes and I try to get healthier options of things I already like. I have been doing this for a few years now so my eating has changed a lot from when I started and I eat more things I didn't eat at the start. I find it is best to start slowly and not try to make too many drastic changes at once. Just remember, it's not a race but if you stick with it you will get there and with the good habits you have learned by taking slowly, more importantly, you will stay there. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Log everything, ABSOLUTLY EVERYTHING, then go from there. Nothing more, nothing less. That is how you start.
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Log everything, ABSOLUTLY EVERYTHING, then go from there. Nothing more, nothing less. That is how you start.

This is what I did. Everything fell into place gradually after that. Good luck!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Yes that's how it starts just do this first
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Yep! Log everything, see what you are eating. Learn how to log properly. And read these links

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As said, keep a food diary. Make a note of when and what you eat, this will help you log your danger times.

Plan your meals for the week and only buy what you need to make them. Keep snacks healthy, such as fruit, nuts, or veggie sticks with a low-cal dip. But don't go overboard,although fruits and nuts have valuable nutrients they also have calories.

If you eat because you're bored, find something to occupy you. I like cross stitch, but any activity that keeps your brain and hands busy is good.

Above all, if you have a bad day, don't give up. One bad day is recoverable, don't let it turn into a bad week.

Good luck with your weight loss journey, you can do this!
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

ABSOLUTELY THIS^^^

If you start with this you will see where / when the big calories hit, working out that the pizza you're thinking of eating has 1700 calories is surprisingly motivating, I found the desire to have half with some salad came easily once I started to log things (I have just had a few days of belligerent non logging due to TOM and know that I have been overdoing the cals :-/ BUT I will get back on track by weighing and measuring!)

If there is a trigger food that you CANNOT leave alone try to limit exposure as you start - not ban it immediately unless this is the only way you can leave it alone. E.G I buy crisps "for the kids" which I then eat, replace, eat, replace.....they sometimes HAVE to go without.

Depending on you take out of choice you may find a tolerable substitute, I love a curry mmmmmm curry, so I make an easy homemade version which I sometimes have with out sundries but with fresh veg - it's not THE SAME but it's a tolerable solution that makes me happy, the take out curry is for celebrations...speaking of which, try to find rewards that are not foods :tongue:

I wish you all the best :smile:
  • tia530
    tia530 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started out by stopping take aways altogether and opted for 3 simple meals a day plus 2 snacks of some sort, usually fresh fruit/protein bar. I then began walking 3 times a week and drinking only water with crystal light added.

I began my meals eating 3 a day, oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, a sandwich/salad/soup for lunch and a processed meal for dinner (lean cuisine/healthy choice) I drank 8 oz of water with each meal plus both snacks. I tracked calories and took a multivitamin each day.

This help to facilitate a 14 pound weight loss. I then began making my meals from fresh produce, fruit and lean meats/protein. I ditched the processed meals at dinner time. I've added a variety of snack options and eat out again but I monitor my intake of calories and log everything, increased my walking and added strength training. It's sustainable for me and fit into my schedule, I'd say keep it simple because it really is :flowerforyou:
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options

Yep. This is what I did first. This will give you an idea of how much you are actually eating and how much over your calorie allotment for the day you are. THEN you will be able to adjust what you eat.
  • bigbeff
    bigbeff Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I have just started weighing food today and will log everything... No cheating. The hard part is going to be starting new job next week where they provide lunch, I know they have salad bar but, so maybe I'll just do salads for lunch and then cook as normal in the evening so I know what I'm eating?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i weighed and measured everything... in order to control my calorie intake.

and i started riding my bike. a lot.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You don't "stop" eating anything. You weigh, measure and record and stay in your caloric goal set.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Be aware of portion sizes and log every single thing that you eat and drink.
    You absolutely have to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight and measuring and weighing food and staying within serving sizes is the only way to know for sure how much you are consuming.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    First and foremost you need to do some research. You need to read, you need to Google articles about weight loss; get ideas then think about your daily life and what you can make work for YOU! I read, read, and read more. Most fitness magazines have websites that have the same articles for free. The information online is bountiful!

I have found some wonderful ideas that just won't work for me and others that I practice everyday! Some people focus on calories, others exercise, and other do both. There's low carb, high protein, the list goes on and on.

I personally had to cut everything out. For the first year: no sweets/desserts, no soda, watched every calorie I put in my mouth, I worked out everyday. At first I started walking, then I started running, then started lifting weights. I keep changing things up. Set myself little goals; five pounds and run a mile, then 10 pounds and run two miles four days a week. I had to do what worked for me, my life, and my schedule.

I can't stress enough how important it is to read and read and read! Learn and learn more.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Well, aside from reducing calories, I started exercising more. I try to walk every day for a least half an hour in addition to going to the gym 3 times/week. At the gym I do a weight lifting routine for about 50 minutes. Then I do abdominal work and stretching.
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think the advice to LOG everything is the perfect starting point. Knowing what is going on allows you to make some different choices. For example, my wife and I now have large dinner salads with lean meat for dinner. That allows me to spend some calories earlier in the day.

Be careful at the salad bar. There are many hidden calories lurking in the salad bar. You need to know what is good, filling, and healthy on the salad bar and what is not. If in doubt, run a quick search on My Fitness Pal before you eat something so you can make a good decision.

Identify issues with your fitness and then come up with a plan to deal with them. I started by getting up in the morning and hitting the treadmill. However, I found that I did not look forward to the exercise. I put some lights on the bike and started biking a country road before the dawn. I look forward to zooming through the night on my bike. I don't recommend that solution for everyone, but all the issues that come up can be solved.

If you have a question about something, come here and ask. Many people are on the same journey to fitness as you and may have a solution to help.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above replies saying you should start logging what you eat on a normal day. Once you have that done, pick a day you are going to start reducing your calories and STICK to it. Don't say "oh I'll start Monday/the first of the month". Just start asap.

Also, I saw someone recommended couch 2 5k above, I second it. It starts you off with baby steps and is great cardio whether you're a beginner or not. When you get your eating sorted, this would be a great way to start exercise. Best of luck x
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options

Yep! Log everything, see what you are eating. Learn how to log properly. And read these links

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^^^^ THIS! Once you see how much you are really eating, then you'll see how to start reducing that as you increase exercise. Don't worry. You are not alone. Almost all of us have been exactly where you are now.