Ladies - question about clothing (NOT bras)

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
I am looking for something a little longer in the legs to wear to the gym once it gets colder, but not sweat pants because I get too hot in them. (I live in Wisconsin so I really want something warmer than shorts when going too and from the car and I don't want to bother changing at the gym.) Currently I wear a pair of mesh athletic shorts I bought in the men's department.

My question is, in online shops I see all of the women's pants being worn around the hips rather than the waist. Is the rise really that short or is it just the way they are photographed? I want something with a waist and drawstring so I can adjust it as my weight keeps going down. This is why I went to the men's department for the shorts, they are always pictured around the waist.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you'll just have to tie them on to find out- I would say the bulk ride a little lower than actual waist height- but most of them also rely on elastic- they are fitted.

I'm not sure if you don't want sweats- what are you looking for?

Full length yoga pants?

I would suggest going to target and trying on their pants- they have a wide selection of fitted- semi fitted that might suit you.
  • MRuwe
    MRuwe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Several companies make running pants that are full legged pants that are looser, have a draw string and provide very good mobility. These are actual pants (not tights) and are made from performance material. I have a couple of pairs from Adidas and Sport Hill that are women specific but most athletic apparel companies make these. Here are some links to examples to show what I am talking about:

http://www.sporthill.com/products2011.php?ProductGroup=0680

http://www.adidas.com/us/product/womens-running-az-slim-tr-p-w/AG854?cid=F92666&breadcrumb=1z13071Z1z11zrfZu3Z1z13xg4

These are really expensive but you can find similar pants that are much more reasonable out there.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    you'll just have to tie them on to find out- I would say the bulk ride a little lower than actual waist height- but most of them also rely on elastic- they are fitted.

I'm not sure if you don't want sweats- what are you looking for?

Full length yoga pants?

I would suggest going to target and trying on their pants- they have a wide selection of fitted- semi fitted that might suit you.

I saw some mesh capris from Champion that looked nice, but again they were worn lower than waist. Also, at my size (currently 24), it is hard to find things locally to try on. I usually have to order them unless I go with men's.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You could wear sweat pants over your shorts to walk to and from your car, then work out in your shorts. I still wear shorts or capri pants when I work out in the winter, because it still gets pretty dang warm in the gym. You could just pull them on and off right by the lockers when you get your coat.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Reebok and Under Armour make sweatpant like capris with drawstrings. I have a pair of Reebok I think...they are comfortable enough for weightlifting. I'd have a hard time running in them though because I can't stand any kind of baggy.

Here's an example: http://shop.reebok.com/us/product/women-reebok-one-series-cotton-cuff-capri-apparel/BC532?cid=Z77872&breadcrumb=1z13070Z1z11zrfZdyZsxZu3Z1z12r1bZ1z13xg4
  • SmartForAGirl
    SmartForAGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love my yoga pants from Target! Cheap. Durable. Good looking. Easy to find.

http://www.target.com/c/plus-size-activewear-women/-/N-55117#?lnk=lnav_shop categories_14
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Get ones labelled running tights (Ron Hill, Karrimor etc.) rather than fashion brand leggings (Nike Adidas etc.). They will have a tie waist plus elastic, and a useful key pocket.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Get ones labelled running tights (Ron Hill, Karrimor etc.) rather than fashion brand leggings (Nike Adidas etc.). They will have a tie waist plus elastic, and a useful key pocket.

Nike/Addias making running tights- I'm confused by your statement.
  • earlnabby
    Options

http://www.target.com/c/plus-size-activewear-women/-/N-55117#?lnk=lnav_shop categories_14

Those look like what I am looking for. Do they fit around the waist? The info says mid-rise.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    You could wear sweat pants over your shorts to walk to and from your car, then work out in your shorts. I still wear shorts or capri pants when I work out in the winter, because it still gets pretty dang warm in the gym. You could just pull them on and off right by the lockers when you get your coat.

This is what I would do. It wouldn't be an issue for me to take my sweats off and set them next to the treadmill/bike/elliptical while I do cardio. And if I were doing weights, i would just throw them in a locker with my purse/gym bag.
  • earlnabby
    Options

This is what I would do. It wouldn't be an issue for me to take my sweats off and set them next to the treadmill/bike/elliptical while I do cardio. And if I were doing weights, i would just throw them in a locker with my purse/gym bag.

I don't carry anything in except for my water bottle and car key. I have had too many pieces of clothing disappear, including coats.
  • hollyhawk133
    hollyhawk133 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maidenform leggins :)
  • SmartForAGirl
    SmartForAGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Those look like what I am looking for. Do they fit around the waist? The info says mid-rise.

I don't like low rise pants. I wear mine across my belly button. I was your size when I started out and I think I wore a 2 in Target plus sizes. To be honest, I've been a little sad to leave those pants behind as I've lost weight. If you live near a Target, they typically have a good selection in store to try on which I prefer over online ordering.
  • earlnabby
    Options

I don't like low rise pants. I wear mine across my belly button. I was your size when I started out and I think I wore a 2 in Target plus sizes. To be honest, I've been a little sad to leave those pants behind as I've lost weight. If you live near a Target, they typically have a good selection in store to try on which I prefer over online ordering.

I just checked online and my closest store has them in stock. I will head over there in the next day or two to check them out. Thank you everyone!

BTW, did I mention that I HATE shopping? I like to know what I want and where to get it before I head out. I do a lot of online ordering if I know the company well enough to know what size to get.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    ok, I know this problem! I have a long torso, and if I buy the regular workout tights (which I do, b/c they're more flattering than the hangy loose pants...trust me here, they're slimming, like spanx) my belly is not contained!

My solution is this: Old Navy (if you're in the US) has compression tights in a capri length, that come in a TALL. You know what the tall size has???? a longer rise! which means they go up higher!!! with capri, you don't worry with the length, and you can get the coverage and control you want.

Other stores have workout pants in a tall too (running pants, running tights, good for all workouts) but Old Navy is very affordable, have great exercise pants, and sometimes neat patterns on the tights, as well. Do not buy grey or light blue tho, b/c they show crotch sweat. Not pretty.

GOOD LUCK!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Old Navy. Their capris his a little lower than mid-calf in the inseam and they are a little higher rise so they can sit at your natural waist with no problems.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options

This. If you like your shorts there is no need to stop wearing them. I prefer capris but in the winter I have a pair of full length loose pants that I slip on over the capris to shield me from the winter air. They are Champion bought at Target. High waist and drawstring. All that Champion stuff is seasonal so it may not be in stores yet.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I started out at a 22-24 and even the Target plus size was kind of tight. I just stopped at Lane Bryant the other day and noticed they now have a workout clothing section. Maybe you could try there.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I don't carry anything in except for my water bottle and car key. I have had too many pieces of clothing disappear, including coats.

Get yourself a lock for the locker, put sweatpants over your shorts, cheaper and easier than buying new pants or worrying about not bringing stuff to the gym!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Get yourself a lock for the locker, put sweatpants over your shorts, cheaper and easier than buying new pants or worrying about not bringing stuff to the gym!

There are no lockers in the area of the "Y" I go to, just cubbyholes.