Going down a clothes size?

Options
My clothes are getting too big for me. Which is a good thing.

I have a bunch of old clothes that didn't fit anymore sitting in a box in my closet. I should break it out and try stuff on to see if anything fits me now, but I'm feeling anxious about it. I can't really pinpoint why it makes me nervous, but it does.

Can anyone relate?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Just break it out and try stuff on and see where you're at...but yes I DO understand feeling anxious about it. Maybe you're a little afraid that things won't quite fit just yet and you'll be discouraged? That is totally natural. I bet at least some of it will work, though, and you will know that you're (of course) on the right track :-)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I could see why. You could always go shopping instead :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I actually did this myself, and I was also nervous. It was a combination of "OMG what if everything fits!" and "OMG what if NOTHING fits?!"

About half the clothes fit lol. But I'm trying to stop worrying so much about my clothing size and more about my body fat percentage, since my goal in the end is to increase my muscular size and strength. I had already put on some muscle and size before I started dieting down (wasn't an official bulk, I just was eating too much while strength training lol, my body fat from when I was skinny was still in the mid 20s so I easily got to the 30s), so my legs for instance, and my butt - which now actually exists! - are more muscular and I'm likely not going to be able to fit into all of my old bottoms because of it. It's interesting to see just how much having more of a butt affects how your pants fit.

I'd say have some fun, try things on, but don't let yourself get discouraged if things either don't fit or don't fit right. You'll have the same experience trying on new clothes anyways, considering how variable clothing sizes are from store to store... and within the same store hhaa.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support.

I knew I was just being stupid, so this morning when I was getting dressed for work, I pulled the box out. I pulled out every pair of pants (about 8) in the box and tried them on. Half fit and half didn't but were close. So I've gained a few pairs of work pants! I'm actually wearing one of them today.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Oh the fitting into old pants is the best! Buying new ones a size down is even better!
  • kika_mckee
    kika_mckee Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just did this the other day, I had a pair of pants in my closet that I was afraid to try on for the longest time, I put them on and they are too big. I as really bummed I did not get to wear them. So try those babies on!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Oh the fitting into old pants is the best! Buying new ones a size down is even better!

I only have old pants in two sizes down (or really now current size and one size down) because I've never been below that size since I hit puberty. I'm looking forward to the "I have to buy new clothes because nothing I own fits" stage, but am not quite there yet. I will probably supplement with some new stuff even though I do own fitting clothes, so shopping this weekend!
  • Babygurl721
    Babygurl721 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have notice that since me working out that I have lost inches. Some of my jeans are not so tight around my stomach. Thats a great feeling because I did not want to go up another pant size. I have been wearing sundresses most of the summer cause the jeans were to tight. I can say I do feel good!!!!!!
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I actually had a similar experience the other day. I have only lost a little bit of weight, but I needed to go shopping, so I wanted to see if I could fit into smaller pants. I could get into them, which I never could before, but they were extremely tight. lol. It was still a small victory though.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I started trying on some stuff yesterday. I was kind of excited. But it was still emotional. I have these gorgeous silk, italian, and boutique dresses that I had bought, that are too big now. I'll never be able to wear them again. But what I realized and why I got kinda sad was, I loved how I looked in these dresses before. It made me think, wow, I really have loved myself more than I thought all along, even before I lost the weight.

Anyway, sorry, emotional body image confession.

Try your stuff on girl!
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight about 13 years ago, I remember buying a pair of corduroy pants at a yard sale, still with the tag, hoping that I'd be able to fit into them by the next autumn. I'll never forget the first time I wore them - it was September 11, 2001, and they were too big. I had to leave work, drive through the empty streets to Walmart, which was also deserted, and buy a belt to keep my pants up while listening to NPR coverage of the attacks.
  • dannyxtyler
    dannyxtyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I'm glad you got over your fear and tried 'em on. How's it feel to get to wear them [again?]?!