Going on Maintenance for Vacation

Options
I am actually about 8 or 9 lbs away from maintenance.

But, I am going on vacation next week and In order to keep myself sane on vacation and really enjoy it (without going too crazy) I'll be setting my calories to lightly active & maintain weight.

Is it possible to "maintain" for 1 week? I mean, I know how to stall weight loss, lol.

Can anyone tell me if they've tried it or have any experience with it?

I know that people will gain a couple lbs on maintenance, but I'm hoping that it isn't in the 1st week, since I will be going back to losing after that.

Replies

• D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've tried it when I got tired of being so restrictive and I've succeeded at it. It is a great idea for your vacation and really just a preview of how life will be. Have fun!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It's good mentally to take a break from weight loss once in a while and a vacation is a good time to do this.

Don't be surprised if you gain a few lbs - this will mostly be water weight from increased food intake and should disperse after you've been back to eating at your deficit for a few days.

Have a great holiday!
  • MarvelousMrs
    MarvelousMrs Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've never tried to maintain on vacation. I don't take that many vacations lol and only recently started this calorie counting business.... I can tell you I went on a week-long honeymoon last month and gained NINE pounds!!! It was insane - that's actually what prompted me to start this journey.

I figure, if you focus on maintaining, you might gain a few pounds (under five is my guess). But when you're on vacation, you typically consume foods much higher in sodium (all that restaurant food and "convenience" food) - so when you get back, up your water intake and it should come off in a week or two, plus some.

You CAN do this!
  • wes_sloan
    Options
    I recently was on holidays and consumed at maintenence for the week. I did not gain any weight. I did continue my workouts while on vacation. Once the vacation was over I went back to a deficit. Remember, it is just one week. It isn't going to make or break this journey for you. Enjoy the holiday.
  • losingforgood120
    Options
    I'm going on vacation soon and I'm not going to log. I'm going to practice not eating too much "intuitively" and see how much I gain. It'll just be a week so I'm not too worried. The only thing I'm worried about is losing my 50 day streak! :( It makes me so happy when I log in and see that. Maybe I'll bring a device w/ me just so I can log in. (is that silly?)

Enjoy your vacation!
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You have to eat 3500 calories over maintenance to gain 1lb, but you will gain some water, it goes on easy, but the good news is it comes off easy. This is why any diet you try seems so successful in the first 2 or 3 weeks, or after a break. I think it does the body good to take a break, they say the body adapts to any diet after 3 months anyway. Enjoy your holiday. I just had a week away and I put on a couple of pounds. So what, my clothes still fit me, and I had an amazing time, and I went to the gym everyday. Relax and enjoy :-)
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the input!

I started this journey last year the day after I returned from vacation so I was all about the "loading up before the diet" last year. lol.

This year, I have a better perspective of this being an actual journey.

Hubby and I will be taking healthy snacks and grocery shopping for lunch items for the condo.

Plus it is TONS of walking, so I'm excited to see what happens.

Just changing my settings from "sedentary" to "lightly active" so I don't have to keep track of the walking, since it will be "built in".
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Basically the Weight you will gain going into Maintenance is the Same weight you'll gain when you do it at your goal so yes it will be in the first week but like everyone says most of it will be the extra Water with the stored energy now you are eating more. Its not a few pounds of fat coming back or anything like that, its the first pounds you lose when you couldn't see what was changing.

I plain on doing the same when I go on holiday in a few weeks, just look at all the benefits from the vacation, and the eating, then get back to weight Loss when you return.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Yep! I wasn't able to log on my 8 day vacation, no internet. But had a feel for my maintenance calories. I worked out most days. Filled up on veggies when possible. Had a couple restaurant style meals and a few nights ate from the "healthy" steamed menu. Drank wine and ate dessert every night for 8 days. No pounds gained! You can do it. Have fun!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm going on holiday in just over a week too and intend on eating what i want. I won't be exercising intentionally but will be doing alot of walking. I won't be going overboard but i won't be restricting myself at all. Enjoy your break! Even if you put weight on, you know you how to lose it again.
  • wildnout14
    Options
    If you want some help losing weight check out this video http://100bitediet.blogspot.com
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Same here.. leaving on tuesday for 17 days.. i will be mindful to not eat things that i know are just downright bad for my stomach... and if i really really crave something yummy. i will have a little.. i will not be overdoing anything this time... mostly because i need to have a nice trip, i am tired of using rolaids or alkaseltzer or whatever... and of course no need to gain back all the weight i work so hard to lose.... usually i go for broke and just cheat like crazy and honestly, it does not help me come nighttime etc.... or the morning after...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I never logged on a single vacation...ever...I never gained weight (actual fat weight) ever...it's pretty hard to do in a week. At most you might have a little water weight to contend with as eating more calories does cause more water retention...so does flying in an airplane...but that's about it.

Personally, I'm always way more active on a vacation than I am at home in my day to day, and that's without doing any deliberate workouts or anything. I never worried about it and it's never been an issue. I've also been maintaining for 16 months + without logging a thing just fine....hopefully you've learned a thing or two while you were logging as that's kind of the point...logging is just training wheels...at some point you should be able to just ride.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I never logged on vacation, or usually traveling for work. Because this is my true lifestyle, I just kept eating the way I do, plus a bit more wine or cheese or whatever. But, then, trips tend to lead to lots more walking and other "NEAT" calories so it all evens out for me. Eat a bit more, perhaps, but walk a bit more. But for me, the key is I don't radically alter the way I've been eating when I travel.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, while losing, I always went on maintenance over Christmas/New Year. It can be done. The main idea, whether you go over your calories or not, is to be aware of what and how much you're eating and balance out the fun with the responsibility to self. It's that awareness that will keep you maintaining for the coming years.
  • Happymelz
    Options
    I also don't plan on weighing for at least a week after I get back, so give my body a chance to lose any water weight.

I'm not going to stress about it.

But thankfully, my eating habits have changed enough to where I won't go as crazy as I used to.

Butterscotch dipped ice cream cone & tater tots from the special place we like? Heck yes!

Donuts or coffee treats from dunkin donuts? Nope, I can get those at home. lol.

(I've been planning my restaurants via Yelp and TripAdvisor.)
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I like your plan. I have reached my maintenance goal, in 2012, and have since been to Walt Disney World three times for vacations. When I look at Reports and look at the weight graph for that period, the line is mostly flat except for these peaks when I returned from WDW. the funny thing is, they remind of an EKG and the peaks, representing the vacations, were the heartbeats.
    There is a lot of walking at WDW and there is a fitness centre that I used daily but there are an awful lot of things to enjoy there too. Bottom line - no matter what the weight gain, I always returned to maintenance weight when I got back home - always.
    Have a fantastic time!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I like your plan. I have reached my maintenance goal, in 2012, and have since been to Walt Disney World three times for vacations. When I look at Reports and look at the weight graph for that period, the line is mostly flat except for these peaks when I returned from WDW. the funny thing is, they remind of an EKG and the peaks, representing the vacations, were the heartbeats.
    There is a lot of walking at WDW and there is a fitness centre that I used daily but there are an awful lot of things to enjoy there too. Bottom line - no matter what the weight gain, I always returned to maintenance weight when I got back home - always.
    Have a fantastic time!

Even better to hear this as that's where i'm going lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Have a fantastic time!
    And then there's "airplane weight". Ever notice that the day after you fly the scale is up by a few? It's amazing. And always happens.
  • Happymelz
    Options
    Have a fantastic time!
    And then there's "airplane weight". Ever notice that the day after you fly the scale is up by a few? It's amazing. And always happens.

I hadn't noticed that! Crazy.