Unilateral Lifting?

Options
I have a strong suspicion that I've got either a tilted pelvis or hip misalignment. I haven't seen a doctor or physical therapist yet, but I know there's definitely a problem with my hips kicking to the right while I do squats (both bodyweight and weighted).

I'm doing 5/3/1 with assistance work and I have no plans to stop doing squats, but I have lighter squats on deadlift day and I thought it might be a good idea to do some split squats with one foot on a bench behind me instead. That way, I can avoid any possible muscular imbalances and make sure I'm working both sides of my lower body equally. I'm also incorporating step-ups (with a barbell) into my routine and I already do lunges on squat day. Those do challenge my balance, so I think my core will still be working quite a bit even though it's probably not considered a "compound move."

So it would work like this:
DAY 1:
Main Lift - Squats
Assistance Work - Lunges, Step-Ups, Abs

DAY 3:
Main Lift - Deadlifts
Assistance Work - Hip Thrusts, Split Squats, Abs

**My upper body days are not affected, so I left those out.

I know a lot of lifters are against unilateral training, but in my case, at least until I see a doctor and MAYBE find a solution if there is one, do you think this is a decent idea? Like I said, I'm keeping squats as my main lift 1x/week, but just thinking about focusing on each leg individually when doing assistance work.

If you have suggestions for unilateral lower-body movements other than step-ups and split squats, I'm all ears! :)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Can you post a vid of the squat showing what's going on?

Anyways, I'd be curious of reasons why people would be against unilateral training. It has it's place IMO.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I would see if you have a form issue before you start self-diagnosing things and changing up your routine.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do split squats and lunges as an accessory to my 5/3/1 workouts (and also did them as accessories when I did SL), so I don't see a problem with doing them. That's my unprofessional opinion anyway!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Anyways, I'd be curious of reasons why people would be against unilateral training. It has it's place IMO.

^^this
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options

People don't like unilateral training because they claim it doesn't improve your bilateral strength as much as your bilateral training improves your unilateral strength. Therefore unilateral training isn't as efficient as bilateral training. However I still use unilateral training as a supplement to catch up a lagging muscle group or fix imbalances.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have one leg that is shorter than the other. This causes a slight pelvic shift. It's so minor that I don't even bother with it. If you're training is not affected don't worry about it.

However, as other have stated. Post a video.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I would see if you have a form issue before you start self-diagnosing things and changing up your routine.

I know it's not a form issue because it occurs even during bodyweight squats. It definitely doesn't take a rocket scientist to get a bodyweight squat right.

I said I had a suspicion that this was the case. I'm not self-diagnosing. However, there is an issue. If I put my fingers on the crest of each hip, it's clear that one is about an inch higher than the other.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options

I don't...not one I'm willing to post anyway. I don't work out in much clothing, and it's hard to see on video in more clothes. I've asked my husband to watch me squat and he says he can see it, too.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    I have one leg that is shorter than the other. This causes a slight pelvic shift. It's so minor that I don't even bother with it. If you're training is not affected don't worry about it.

However, as other have stated. Post a video.

My training is affected, though. Your hips shouldn't kick to the right when coming up from a squat. That's not good form, but it's involuntary so I can't just correct it on my own.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    How are your hips and ankles? If one is tight it could be throwing the rest off. Try a really good stretching session before squatting.

I hadn't heard unilateral training was frowned upon (not even sure what it is =D - but I'm assuming from your post it's split squats, lunges etc?). I do wendlers too and have also included split squats, lunges and step-ups with no problems.
  • ChunkLaFunk
    ChunkLaFunk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to work on ilotibial (IT) band flexibility. If you're tighter on one side, that could cause you hips to track to that side.

Lots of vids on youtube for stretches as well as the on the dreaded foam roller, also recommended.

you may want to ad hip rotator exercises, internal and external, to your regimen so that each side is balanced.

here's one to get you started. Stay strong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    How are your hips and ankles? If one is tight it could be throwing the rest off. Try a really good stretching session before squatting.

I hadn't heard unilateral training was frowned upon (not even sure what it is =D - but I'm assuming from your post it's split squats, lunges etc?). I do wendlers too and have also included split squats, lunges and step-ups with no problems.

Hips and ankles are good. I always do a warm-up that limbers me up before I lift. I've tried some corrective stretching techniques I found online, but they haven't made a difference.

Well, I got chewed out on here once for suggesting split squats. I've also read a few articles on it and they always mention that there are folks that think it's useless. It may not be as frowned upon as I'm thinking, but I wanted to explain my reasoning before people told me to only do bilateral movements.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    My suggestion is to work on ilotibial (IT) band flexibility. If you're tighter on one side, that could cause you hips to track to that side.

Lots of vids on youtube for stretches as well as the on the dreaded foam roller, also recommended.

you may want to ad hip rotator exercises, internal and external, to your regimen so that each side is balanced.

here's one to get you started. Stay strong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY

I've never heard of IT band flexibility. I'll look it up, thanks! I have done the moves in that video, though. It didn't seem to help, but I'm going to keep doing it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    A common reason for hips shifting sideways is poor ankle dorsiflexion on the opposite side. Try comparing your ankle flexibility of both sides with this test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b5mlWFic1c

Another reason for shifting hips is a flat foot arch. Have your husband compare the arch height of both feet while squatting:

ioPCd.jpg

If you can't find the cause, i'd see a physical therapist.

As far as unilateral lifts, Bulgarian split squats, and single-leg Romanian deadlifts for the posterior chain. With step-ups, it's easy to cheat by pushing off with the opposite foot, or leaning forward more, or sliding the knee forward. Great exercise, but easy to screw up.