Strong lifts + ???

Options
Hi all,

If you are doing SL 5X5 do you do any other lifts? If so what body parts and on what days?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You realize almost any program can be done.

When I did strong lift for like 2 weeks. I also did SL with bicep curls and skull crusher. It is all about progressive overload.

No matter what I do, I always have a upper body lower body split.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I was adding in other strength exercises for a while such as bicep curls, side lateral raises, and front lateral raises.

However, I have since stopped. People see great results from SL 5x5 without adding more exercises. Apparently, a major part of muscle growth is not over straining the muscles and giving them adequate rest time. I'm going to try SL 5x5 for 6 weeks, see how I progress, and then revisit if it makes sense to add other exercises.

I do extra core exercises though.. lots of planks lol
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy Strong Lifts, check out Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 - basically SL with some accessory work thrown in. Still a three day program, so your time in the gym gets a little lengthy for my taste.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Rather than modifying SL yourself, just pick a different program that better suits your needs. If you want a bit more arm work, I know a few friends that did greyskull LP and like it a lot. As others mentioned, Blaha has his own variant of 5x5 which has quite a bit more accessory work thrown in. There are lots of good programs out there. But generally speaking, you want to limit additional movements outside of the program you're following because these programs have you training 3x a week and that's already pushing the limits of your recovery abilities - especially at a caloric deficit.