Options
Here are my stats:
20 years old, female
Starting weight 149 lbs
Current weight 139 lbs
Goal weight 130 lbs
Height 5'6''
Calories/Day 1,200-1,500

I have lost 10 lbs in 2 months and am halfway to my goal. I seem to be doing fine but have considered using diet pills to add some extra umph to my weight loss. I'm not really overweight, so I find that it can sometimes be a struggle to eat at that big of a deficit, even though I do well most days. My mom works in a pharmacy and said that there are a lot of bad side effects to these pills, including addiction, and I should steer clear of them.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If pills worked, our society wouldn't be obese. Pills don't work simply put.

edit: the ones that did work, had to be pulled from the market as a side effect was death, lol. Also, with very little to lose, I would recommend a smaller deficit and a good weight training program if you haven't started. You will see much more body improvements that way. 1200 calories is a bit low for an active young person.
  • bmaine22
    bmaine22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use Hydroxycut Hardcore Elite. I have tried many many "diet pills" and like this one a lot. It can also be bought in powder form. I basically use diet pills because they give me the energy to work all day, stay awake and focused during my hour drive home in bumper to bumper traffic, and go to the gym at night. I have always been caffeine dependent so using diet pills has helped keep me away from coffee and sodas (aka empty calories). These pills work very well as an appetite suppressant and have also helped subside some of my cravings for sugary things.

Although diet pills have worked well for me, I'm sure there are side effects for some people such as jitters, headaches, etc. which I have not endured due to my high tolerance for caffeine.

If you are not looking for added energy throughout the entire day, you may want to check into "Pre-workouts"; powdered drink mixes which can be bought at health food stores. These are specially formulated to give you a ton of energy right before your workout and if you workout hard enough, it will ware off without much of a come down.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Do you want fat loss or just scale weight loss? That's what you should ask yourself before you try to go aggressively into weight loss. Pills might suppress hunger so you can starve yourself but for what? Eating too little for a sustained amount of time leads to muscle loss, you end at whatever goal weight you've set skinny fat and still unhappy. You stop taking the pills and relapse. Start back at square one.

Save yourself money. Learn sustainable habits for LIFE. And aim for fat loss, not just scale loss. You're losing weight already at an okay pace, I wouldn't push it any faster. With less weight to lose, slower is better!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    This is just a good rule for life: listen to your mom. In this case, she's 100% right.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I tried them once, I was young and stupid. I ended up in the hospital with tachycardia. It's surprisingly painful when your heart is racing.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in 2 months is pretty close to perfect. And if you're not really overweight to begin with, why are you looking to change what you're doing?

Oh, and your mother is correct.
  • carrie_lou
    Options
    I had started to see women in my office starting to look really nice and thin and asked them where they were going and they all answered the same thing. It was to a doctor that was giving them Phentermine pills so I started to go and saw great results! I went for a long time and was so happy but then when I stopped going I ballooned up and now I am probably the heaviest ever!! I regret ever going
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to be blunt, but using diet pills to lose 10 lbs is ridiculous. You should be able to make small changes to your diet and lose that in fairly short order. The goal here is health, keep that in mind hon :)
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I had started to see women in my office starting to look really nice and thin and asked them where they were going and they all answered the same thing. It was to a doctor that was giving them Phentermine pills so I started to go and saw great results! I went for a long time and was so happy but then when I stopped going I ballooned up and now I am probably the heaviest ever!! I regret ever going

They will gain it all back, and then some. Can't see the forest for the trees!! This is just sad to me. :(
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yup...They worked so well I joined MFP for the trolls..... O.o
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Listen to your mother. Increase your calories so you have a smaller deficit, start strength training, and watch the fat melt off.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Save your money.

Exercise patience and stick to your good habits. The weight will come off in no time.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Sure, when coffee is not enough just take some pills. Can't never have enough caffeine, ya know.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I tried diet pills and every diet imaginable and nothing happened. I came here and started off on 1200 calories and exercised and it was working fine but I had to bump up my calories to 1400 and switching up exercises and this has been the best way I have found that works for me. You can't find loopholes and quick ways of losing weight and it work for long. As soon as the pills stop so does the weight loss. You didn't gain weight over night so you won't lose it over night.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You're losing weight. Why try to fix a system that isn't broken! Keep eating healthy and you'll get there. Patience young one. What's the hurry?
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Waste of money.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    You're losing weight. Why try to fix a system that isn't broken! Keep eating healthy and you'll get there. Patience young one. What's the hurry?

Truth.
    If it's not broken, don't fix it.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Listen to your mother. Increase your calories so you have a smaller deficit, start strength training, and watch the fat melt off.

^ I trust this back :love:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    This is just a good rule for life: listen to your mom. In this case, she's 100% right.

Exacly. May I quote you to my 14 year old daughter :laugh: