Your off day

Options
Over the course of 8 days I have managed to take my time up on the elliptical from a measly 5 minutes to 30. I have also been able to pick up a slight pace ( I'm not at the recommended rpm my machine wants me at but close) and have added 15 more unites to the 30. I am comfortable at 30 minutes around 45-50rpm though. (Yay me..progress, right?)

Well tomorrow is my off day and I'm terrified if I take a off day I will lose my progress and Sunday when I get back on it won't be able to do it.

When you had your first off day after meeting a fitness goal, did it regress?

I plan to do some minor walking on my off days, either outside or walk away the pounds, so I'm hoping Sunday I pick back up where I left off.

Thanks!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You're fine.

Take the day off- get on a regulated schedule of working days and at least one rest day- if not two.

Several days off won't kill the work you've done- it never does.

Even a week off wont' significantly put you back- you might not be top of your game when you come back to it- but if you start working out regularly- and you take a week off- it's fine.

Some people like to take active rest days.

I don't- when I rest- I want to rest. I have lifting only days- lifting + dance days and dance only days...so two days a week when I do not HAVE to work out- I don't do a goddayumn thing.

And it's glorious.

Take your day off- go for a walk if you want- and hit it hard the next day.

Congrats on starting new habits- keep it up through the month!!!
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Rest is the period of time that your body adapts to the stress of exercise and improves. Off days are extremely important.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Are you sure you even need to take an off day? If you feel fine and are not fatigued I would just keep going. 23.5 hours of recovery could be enough for the amount exercise you are currently doing.
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Your body will thank you for the off day. You may even find that you've gained a bit more strength. You won't regress. ;)
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Off days are good. Exercising works by damaging muscles (in a good way) so that your body realizes it needs to build bigger and better ones. If you are constantly doing the damage, your body has no time to do any rebuilding. I have found that the first workout after my off day is significantly more productive than the one right before. For example, say I ride my bike MWF and add 2 minutes each day. Then, the next week I just ride WF and I skip Monday. I have found that, on Wednesday, the extra 2 minutes are not that bad. I can sometimes even add 4 or 5 minutes. I do not know if you will be the same as everyone is different, but that is what I have experienced.

Either way, building one or two "off days" into your weekly routine is crucial to your success. Don't worry, 48 hours isn't enough time to lose all of your progress and go flabby again. Also, don't worry about pushing yourself too hard too fast. Slow, steady progress is the way to go. Hope this helps!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Shoot I take off days all the time. I had a week off not long ago because I was just plain old burnt out.

If you feel like you need to do something just take a walk. And it's important anyway to change up your routine because your muscles will get used to doing the same exercises over and over and you'll see a weight loss stall.
  • akaiookami
    akaiookami Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that I usually feel fresher and have a better run/workout after an off day or two... unless I couple the off day(s) with irresponsible eating. ;) (Weekends are my nemesis for food!). I can definitely tell after several days of hard work that my body appreciates an off day or a day of something completely different- muscles need repair time.

If you are really worried about losing your groove, do what others have recommended and engage in some mellower activity like a casual walk/hike/stretching/yoga/bike ride to just stay active. There will certainly be times though when your body says 'enough' and it will benefit you to just... not. No rush for fitness- its a journey.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    When you had your first off day after meeting a fitness goal, did it regress?

Taking breaks is as important as the training.

To put it in perspective, I've had a couple of occasions where I've been unable to train for a week and my runs after I come back are generally pretty good. Twice I've PR'd my 5K time in that situation.

I'd also observe that most training plans have some reduction in distance/ running time before a significant event. When I hit my half marathon at the beinning of October the week before reduces my distance by over half and drops two sessions.

Breaks have benefit.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you even need to take an off day? If you feel fine and are not fatigued I would just keep going. 23.5 hours of recovery could be enough for the amount exercise you are currently doing.

I'm pretty sure I do. I've added Pilates and some strength training exercises over the last few days and I woke up incredibly sore. My son has soccer tournaments Friday evening and Saturday so perfect to take a break then since we will be so busy.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Oh okay well if that is the case always good listen to your body. As long as you don't take the day off from your diet you should be fine and perhaps even lose a little bit of weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important to your overall fitness and health and general well being and they should be programmed into your routine just like any other part of your fitness regimen.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day or two every week. I actually find my runs are better after taking a couple of days off.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Rest says help build your muscles through recovery :) walking on a rest day,or an active rest day, is good.

I'm having one right now!