Poor Student!

Options
Hey
I'm a student and as you can guess, I am poor ;)!
However I'm sick of making the same things over and over again. I want to try some new recipes.

Anyone got any EASY and CHEAP recipes the could share with me?! Feel free to add me :)

Replies

• safetyscott
    safetyscott Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    1 apple chopped thinly
    sprinkle of salt and pepper
    mix and let sit for 10 min
    1 tea spoon of unpacked brown sugar
    mix it up
    eat it up

taadaaa..low cal desert
  • nezeray
    nezeray Posts: 34
    Options
    Here's one of my favorites while watching my weight:

Get some low fat/carb wraps. Put in a bowl chicken breast cut into fajita strips, vegetables, and some healthy salsa. cook that then put it on wraps. If you can fit the fat/carbs/calories in, add cheese. :)
  • Boredboytn
    Options
    I am slowly learning to cook but I'm no where near good enough to come up with recipes on my own.
  • saligator
    saligator Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    jamie oliver's vegetable curry - u can use any left over veg u have and use any curry paste you like, i usually use rogan josh paste. the recipe says to use water rather than cream or coocnut milk so you've gotta wait awile for it to simmer and thicken but it is GORGEOUS!!! plus you can make a big batch of it and freeze it so that you will always have something healthy to eat, even on busy days.

google jamie olivers 30 minute meals vegetable curry and you'll get the recipe....mmmm i'm craving it now actually and it's only 11am here...damn!!!
  • steffie88
    Options
    Im also a poor student looking for some cheap recipes to try out. I tried this recipe last week

Chicken Spinach and Rice

. Place the stock in a small saucepan and bring to simmering point.

2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the yellow pepper and fry, stirring often, until the pepper has softened but not browned. Add the rice and continue cooking and stirring for 1-2 minutes, until the rice is translucent and shiny.

3. Pour the wine or verjus into the pan of rice and simmer until it has almost evaporated. Add a ladle of the hot stock to the rice and cook, stirring constantly, over a low heat until the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding the stock to the rice a little at a time and stirring until the liquid has been absorbed, for about 17 minutes.

4. When the rice is almost done, add the chicken and the spinach leaves and stir to mix evenly. Allow to heat through for 2-3 minutes, then adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot.

YUM!!
  • zebulonwindrow
    Options
    1 cp Lentils -- you can get these at costco if you know someone with a costco card for cheap or get these at Trader Joe's.
    Cook the lentils first, unless you get the precooked at TJ's.

Now, throw in some vegetables:

1/2 Bell Pepper
    half a box of mushrooms -- if you like them enough to buy the big box, use half of that lol mushrooms rule!
    3 jalapenos
    1/2 an onion -- or a whole one, or even more. I do another veal dish where I use three onions.
    8 cloves of garlic -- you can use less, four or so? I picked up a taste for garlic in Korea so 8 may be more than you might like.

Now, this is optional and might not work for you.

I like to add booze to my cookery. Trader Joe's has a cheap scotch that I cook with. The scotch is drinkable too. You can put it in a mildly serious scotch drinker's glass and he will appreciate the gesture--though he would prefer something better I am sure (Lagavulin, Macallen, etc.). And, this must be said, one would never waste a decent scotch for cooking anymore than one would ruin it with cola, water, or soda water.

I also like to add Trader Joe's Island Soyaki sauce. It works well with the booze. Oh, if they are out of the cheap scotch the "Rebel Yell" Whiskey is an excellent cooking whiskey. The guys that work there tell me it is great drinking whiskey too.

Now, you can also get Trader Joe's whole grain bread or get a decent rye. TJ's has an okay rye. Then you can dip the bread in the soup. It's lush. You can also add tapatio if you want some more spice. You could also keep a huge pot of this on your stove and eat from it throughout the week. It's okay to keep heating it up and covering it.
  • brainzzz
    Options
    I know what that's like! School has put a major dent in my pocket.

I know that not everyone likes it, but liver is a super cheap, super lean and super healthy meat. It's about the only kind of meat I can afford on my budget. I like to fry it up with mushrooms and onions and have a baked potato or rice with it.

Sauces and spices are also a good way to eat the same things over again without getting bored. Try lemon pepper, instead of pepper or a dash of tabasco sauce if you like things spicy.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Eggs. You can do lots of things with eggs -- hardboil them for a portable snack, scramble them and put them in a whole-wheat tortilla with some veggies for a good anytime wrap, poach them in the microwave for breakfast, etc. And they're usually cheap.

Dried beans are also cheap. They take some planning ahead sometimes to cook them because they have to soak, but they're easy to store and easy on the wallet. You can find tons of recipes for beans all over the net. My favorite is lentil loaf -- like a meatless meatloaf.

I've found that if it comes in a box, it's more expensive and less nutritious, so try to stay away from the boxed foods as much as possible. And drink water! Not bottled -- just tap water. Buy a filter pitcher if you prefer. It'll still be far cheaper than anything else you could possibly drink, and better for you.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Old college stand by - black beans and rice. Tons of recipes on line. Low fat, low calorie, high protein, high fiber and super cheap.

I eat it now with half an avocado, mashed up with a tablespoonof salsa and some seasoning. Yummy and filling.
  • snipie
    snipie Posts: 8
    Options
    Watch for sales; if a turkey is on sale buy it bake it and slice it. Turkey has many uses, top salads, make soup, sandwich and many more.

Buy sales and you will have variety. Keep prepared brown rice in your fridge, buy frozen cut veggies in a large bag like at Costco and keep in freezer. Fat free cottage cheese is a good one or yogurt. you can eat what you want in moderation, however it may not be as filling as some other foods.
  • jmconway83
    Options
    This really sounds like something I would love, but I'm not really seeing the recipe that I would need and the measurements I would need. Would love to have all of that, sounds yummy. Thanks

Im also a poor student looking for some cheap recipes to try out. I tried this recipe last week

Chicken Spinach and Rice

. Place the stock in a small saucepan and bring to simmering point.

2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the yellow pepper and fry, stirring often, until the pepper has softened but not browned. Add the rice and continue cooking and stirring for 1-2 minutes, until the rice is translucent and shiny.

3. Pour the wine or verjus into the pan of rice and simmer until it has almost evaporated. Add a ladle of the hot stock to the rice and cook, stirring constantly, over a low heat until the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding the stock to the rice a little at a time and stirring until the liquid has been absorbed, for about 17 minutes.

4. When the rice is almost done, add the chicken and the spinach leaves and stir to mix evenly. Allow to heat through for 2-3 minutes, then adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot.

YUM!!
    [/quote]
  • allisonrara
    Options
    I loved reading these! Some of them wouldn't work for me since I don't have an oven or stove top in my dorm, but I saved a few of them for future reference! Thanks everybody :) We poor college students need all the good food ideas we can get!