question for men

Options
My question for men is why do you use mfp?
How do you use it?
Is the a group of you that work together to motivate each other? etc
Do you use the calorie counter? Does it help?
My husband has said he is wanting to get fit and tone up & i said about using mfp. I think these would be some of questions he would ask.

Thank you in advance for any reply's

Replies

• dalzinho
    Options
    I started using it initially to gather a snapshot of exactly what I was consuming on a daily basis. Far too much, as it turns out.

From there I've been using the calorie counter and allowing it to set me targets which I try to stay within. Seems to be working too.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    dalzinho i'm SURE ive seen you before!!! lol
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hey Nattercan, hopefully this will help your husband to join in!

I initially used MFP to open my eyes to the amount of rubbish I was putting in my body, quantify the 'damage' on a day to day basis and realise how far I would have to go to put things right.

I currently use it to count calories, realise when I've gone over and know how much exercise I need to do in order to make up the defecit. This has been invaluable and has seen me lose 4.5 stone in 4/5 months. I'm slowly working up to maintaining my weight by consuming more calories day to day and again, I'm using MFP to prevent myself from losing all control and just having the things I've had restricted access to since I joined.

I personally am not a member of a group BUT being male, and thus competetive, I do have both male friends to measure up against and female friends to provide the emotional support, hopefully they gain the same benefits from being friends with me that I do from being friends with them.
  • dougr
    dougr Posts: 2
    Options
    I generally use it to set my targets and track my daily calories, after a while you get a feel for how much you should be consuming and rely on it less but at the start I think you really need it as you don't really know about calories and portion size. I also keep track of my weight here as I find it motivates me (don't want to see the graph going up). Other than that I don't really use the site unless I see a topic on the side bar on the home page that catches my eye (like this one)

Also I think the thing that makes this site work for me more than any other is the iPhone app (I just love techy things so having an app is a big attraction)

I lost 4 stone last year after I started using it so it must have helped a little I think.
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    Basically to keep a record of what I eat and learn on how to improve it.

Once I got in here , I found the place to have an amazing support base and its very inspirational reading alot of the posts.
    Also there is a wealth of information on here , which i would never have found or even attempted to find before
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My wife pointed this site out to me. She is also using it. We both use it to count our calories. It helps us both realize what we are eating and excersicing, and looking at all of the before and after pics is great motivation.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    There's a thread on here called "Man to Man" which is a guy's support group. Have your hubby check it out!
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    What great reply's, i have let him read my post & i think he might join but ill wait & see. Thank you all