Help me lose as much weight as possible in a year?

Options
I'm 5'5 and I weigh around 260lbs. It's very unhealthy and I desperately need to lose weight - as much as possible.

So far, I've managed to lose 8 pounds without exercising, but I either maintain 252 or gain it back.

I'm not an athletic person, I don't generally exercise. My family has just started to make healthier choices, and now that we can afford it, I know we'll make more.

I'm posting this to see if I could get some friends, maybe with the same goal, some exercising tips (How to get started and a few good exercising activities), great tasting and very healthy recipes, preferably with caloric information.

My goal weight is 150, maybe 140.

If you want to know anything else, feel free to ask and please help me!

Replies

• dporter1183
    dporter1183 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 lbs without working out but now I've hit a plateau and have to start moving. I started the gym last week. I do so much better on equipment than I do on my own at home.

I'm not athletic either. start small, work your way up to moving more. walk for 30 minutes a day, or try 15 minutes of cardio every other day until you fell you can or want to do more.

if you search work outs on pintrest, you'll see some you can save to your phone and whip out to do when you find some alone time at home or while you're out and about.

outside of sticking to the caloric goals you set on MFP, the best thing you can do is just to move more.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'd say start with walking, wear comfortable supportive shoes and just do some, incorporate as much as you can, use stairs rather than lifts, escalators, get off a bus or park further away. If there's an activity you like such as dancing do it (not with shots) . I watch old series of biggest loser when I feel unmotivated - I know it's an extreme thing but I'm reassured that as yet no one died and they are really going for it, I don't do what they do but they often feel how I feel and then get beyond it - that's the motivation bit for me.
    Healthy choices, more activity, if you whole family is starting to make those choices that's great! Changes have to come otherwise it's madness to expect different results from the same behaviours, but changes can be gradual or not. Radical or not.

Find what suits you.
    Be healthy.
    Love yourself.

Check out the many advices given here. Set realistic goals that mean something to you. One of mine is to be able to wear my engagement ring (it's too small).
    Don't.Give.Up.
    Best of luck to you.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Girl you can do it! I'm around 260 now as a 5'5 woman and i started at 310 I've lost the weight I have already since Ash Wed. (which i think was in march or something) Just watch your intake and you can do it! I know being as active as I am helped the first few pounds but its really about the diet.
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com is full of at home workouts of various levels and lengths of tme for free
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I simply started my calorie tracking and walking about 45 minutes 5-6 days a week and the pounds started falling off! Feel free to add me and I'll cheer you on along the way.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Those posts should give you what you need to get started. Log everything, every single day (even cheat meals/days) and you will get where you need to go int he appropriate amount of time. Sometimes going as fast as you can is not the most maintainable way to do things.
  • jenster540
    jenster540 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and have gone from 260 to 250 in 2 weeks and still going I do light elliptical training and step ups just on my stairs in my basement 2-3 times a week. I'm also looking for friend support feel free to add me :)
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You DEFINITELY can do this! I've always hated exercise. Even the IDEA of exercise. I've been using MFP for about 3 weeks, tracking everything I eat and wearing a FitBit.

Now it's kind of a game. Can I exercise enough to justify that food I'm about to eat? If the answer is no, then I don't eat it. But sometimes it means I just exercise more!

Something weird happened the other day. I had an unexpected 30 minutes open up. Normally that would mean a nap or a coffee, cookie and book. But instead I chose to do an exercise video. So weird :)

(ETA) Oh, also, please feel free to add me as a friend. I'm on here all the time!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and I weigh around 260lbs. It's very unhealthy and I desperately need to lose weight - as much as possible.

So far, I've managed to lose 8 pounds without exercising, but I either maintain 252 or gain it back.

I'm not an athletic person, I don't generally exercise. My family has just started to make healthier choices, and now that we can afford it, I know we'll make more.

I'm posting this to see if I could get some friends, maybe with the same goal, some exercising tips (How to get started and a few good exercising activities), great tasting and very healthy recipes, preferably with caloric information.

My goal weight is 150, maybe 140.

If you want to know anything else, feel free to ask and please help me!

You can easily do that in a year, just depends on how committed you are. Think of where you would be today if you started a year ago on this day... <= that comment made to me was life changing.

Get on youtube and start researching beginner work outs !! I'd say get a trainer but they are expensive this is free and easy!! sit at home ... remember the work outs, or write them down.. .then go and do them... don't like it ... okay don't do that one again try something else!

recipes are easy again get on the internet and start searching for stuff. You need to put in some time and allot of effort to learn everything. I took did about 2-3 months of research before I started my journey .. or maybe that was just how long it took me.

You got this ... but only if you want it, it's all up to you.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Girl you can do it! I'm around 260 now as a 5'5 woman and i started at 310 I've lost the weight I have already since Ash Wed. (which i think was in march or something) Just watch your intake and you can do it! I know being as active as I am helped the first few pounds but its really about the diet.

well done!! that's great progress
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Those posts should give you what you need to get started. Log everything, every single day (even cheat meals/days) and you will get where you need to go int he appropriate amount of time.
    Sometimes going as fast as you can is not the most maintainable way to do things.

This^
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Luckily, it's totally possible to lose weight without exercising at all! I lost 50 lbs before I started working out. (Which, btw, gets a lot easier when you've dropped some pounds) It was all just a matter of counting my calories.

I've gone from 220+ down to 160 so far and I only added exercise into my daily routine ~3 months ago.

Feel free to friend me!
  • ccassityii
    ccassityii Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and I started at 283, I am 270 now.. I hate exercising, but I have find I like to bike ride, less stress on my knees. I have worked from not even riding a mile to almost 5 miles. I feel better about working out now and plan on doing other types of exercises. I like bike riding, my husband goes with me and our 4 year old rides in a trailer. Can spend time together, get in some nice views, and work out all at once. I take different routes, and can feel the difference in my legs.

I have to work out to see results unfortunately. I can't lose weight by only eating healthy.
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Hey there! My name is Tracye and I think we could be good for each other. I am 5'2" and I started at 200 pounds. I have now lost 12 pounds since I started on 7/7/14. I was really excited when I stepped on the scale this morning. My goal weight is 150.

I walk with my Husband or go for a swim as often as possible. Choose something that you love to do. Trust me, you will feel better if you start moving. Already, I am so surprised at how much better I feel. Also, I struggled when I first started. It gets easier.

Good luck!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Change your goal from "losing as much weight as possible in a year" to "To educate myself how to have a healthy relationship with food and Exercise for the rest of my life".

People go on super restrictive fad diets because they want the weight off now now now. You have to realize that it took time to put on all of this weight and it will take time to take it off. The other realization you need to have is that it's easier to lose weight than you think. If you weigh and measure your food portions properly and maintain a small calorie deficit you can lose weight easily. Taking out the guess work, holding yourself accountable and practicing moderation are the only tools you need to lose weight and keep it off for a lifetime.

You can use various online calculators to determine your current calorie burn, I recommend that you set a goal on my fitness pal to lose no more than 1 lb per week starting out. That's 4 lbs a month, or 48 lbs per year. Imagine how you'll look 50 lbs lighter in just a year.

To do this you'll just need to record all of your food intake and do it properly and incorporate some light exercise into your life as needed. Additionally I'd highly recommend that you start a beginners heavy lifting program to help preserve muscle mass. When you eat at a calorie deficit you will lose muscle, but by lifting heavy weights and getting adequate protein in your diet your body is less likely to lose as much of it.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!!!!!

Glad you found us and you can now afford healthy choices.

I also suggest setting small goals... one year feels far away. There will be lots of ups and downs over that time. No matter what, PUSH through.

Find an exercise you like. Believe it or not you may find someething you LOVE.... you'll be on your way!

Nancy
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Change your goal from "losing as much weight as possible in a year" to "To educate myself how to have a healthy relationship with food and Exercise for the rest of my life".

People go on super restrictive fad diets because they want the weight off now now now. You have to realize that it took time to put on all of this weight and it will take time to take it off. The other realization you need to have is that it's easier to lose weight than you think. If you weigh and measure your food portions properly and maintain a small calorie deficit you can lose weight easily. Taking out the guess work, holding yourself accountable and practicing moderation are the only tools you need to lose weight and keep it off for a lifetime.

You can use various online calculators to determine your current calorie burn, I recommend that you set a goal on my fitness pal to lose no more than 1 lb per week starting out. That's 4 lbs a month, or 48 lbs per year. Imagine how you'll look 50 lbs lighter in just a year.

To do this you'll just need to record all of your food intake and do it properly and incorporate some light exercise into your life as needed. Additionally I'd highly recommend that you start a beginners heavy lifting program to help preserve muscle mass. When you eat at a calorie deficit you will lose muscle, but by lifting heavy weights and getting adequate protein in your diet your body is less likely to lose as much of it.
    Yes. Yes. Yes. All of this!
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have to work out to see results unfortunately. I can't lose weight by only eating healthy.
    You're not going to get results by just working out. You have to create a calorie deficit to lose weight. That means eating less than what your body is burning. You can still lose weight without working out.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hello i'm 5'5 too. Your goal weight of 140 is a good aim but you may have to have a little more patience. Rushing this project will doom you to failure.

In four months you can expect to lose about 30 pounds i would say. Anyway you can lose 2 pounds a week for a while. But it will slow down after a while.

HEre's my tips for you: - btw i'm almost at goal and a lot of this is what i've learn this year from research, reading and experience and or from past experience of success and failure.

1. Weightloss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Don't start a formal exercise program if you don't like it. Just get a pedometer. It will make you walk more. If you do want to take up a regular exercise, look around for a sporty activity that might interest you. You may not be ready to start this until you are much closer to goal. And there is no need either.

2. Prioritise the improvement of your diet. Teach yourself how to eat good healthy food all the time and how to love it. You must learn to cook be ok with it. I suggest starting with meditterranean cuisines. All of them. I've just bought a wonderful book that i am working my way though. The recipes are easy. its called Mediterranean cookbook. today i made felafel. But i also ate salads and lots of fruit and lentil soup, yoghurt, and champagne when i went to drinks with work people. Oh and some prawns that went with my drinks. Check out my diary. Its open to the public.

3. Another lovely and useful book to read is FRench Women don't get fat. It will show how to enjoy a lifestyle of healthy eating. The key is courses. Small courses. Don't go back for seconds ever.

4. Eat enough protein. Protein seems to be the hardest food to get enough of. Eat 0.8 grams of protein per kg of body weight. Do the calculations into pounds if you prefer. Reduce your carbohydrates. - eat less bread, cereals, all sugar foods, including honey. Learn to live on 6tsp of sugar a day or less. this is vital for changing for taste for it. I have gone even lower with sugar and love it. Fat is fine but make sure its healthy fat and quality saturated fat if that i.e. butter not margarine, but mostly olive oil, some nuts 30 g per day max. seeds 30g per day max. some cheese 40g per day max. Eat 1 cup milk per day. 1 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt per day (check that its not got added cream too). Eat 5 different vegetables per day. about 75grams per serve. 2 serves of fruit per day 150grams per serve.

5. Eat a wide variety of (healthy) foods to maximise your nutrition. Optimising your nutrition will make weightloss easier.

6. EAting more fibre will help prevent inflammatory diseases like diabetes but eating more fibre will make it a lot easier for you to lose weight. Fibre is filling. Good sources of fibre in this order are: vegetables, fruit; beans, lentils and chickpeas; nuts and seeds; whole grains. There are two types of fibre. insoluble and soluble. Read up on this on nutritionwonderland.com there's an article in one of the drop down menus.

7. Learn about the place of leptin, a hormone, in your weight. its called the hungry hormone because it affects appetite. When you reach a plateau - a period of about 4 weeks when no matter how little you eat you can't seem to lose weight - this is because of leptin. You need to eat a bit more at that point, not less. The best book i've read on this subject is THE DON'T GO HUNGRY DIET BY Dr Amanda Sainsbury-Salis. Read if you find yourself getting stuck with your progress. She explains everything very well and gives you some useful tools to apply. She has a follow up book called Don't go hungry for life. If you follow her approach strictly weightless will be slow but it will be permanent. However i suggest you can reduce faster by creating a calorie deficit, a moderate one. But her books is useful on many other fronts so i still highly recommend it. Its the best diet book i've ever read.

8. Successful weightloss is highly psychological. You may need to learn some tools to help you. One book that might help but i haven't read it yet. Is by Judith Beck. I"ve done lots of mind training over the years and have worked out my own approach but i can't get it across that easily. But i can say this, commitment to your diet is everything. Never miss a chance to work one your commitment. If you get stressed and can't deal with it and notice it starts to affect your appetite and food choices, get councilloing help to solve your problems or find a better perspective on them. Stress is bad for dieting. Make dealing with stress a priority. Try to deal with it before it affects your dieting.

9. Get plenty of sleep at night. Sunshine in the day time. Remain optimistic about your diet and your life. Work on it.

Good luck.
  • Stefmoray
    Stefmoray Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi - good for you and your family starting to make healthy choices! I have exercised daily for years now some days high intensity and some just a 30 minute walk and now I crave it. It just makes me feel better. I will say that the key to weight maintenance is DIET. No matter how much I exercise, if I don't eat right and in the right proportions I gain weight. Exercise lifts my mood and tones muscles but the diet is the main thing for weight maintenance. Good luck...add me as a friend if you like. Good luck!