Hitting up Costco this weekend: What should I buy?

Options
13»

Replies

• SushiKite
    SushiKite Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh their clothes hangers. You get 50 for $15 and they are cover so your clothes never slip!
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    premier protrein bars! 30g of protein
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I LOVE their Summer Fresh Tuscan Bean Salad (near the humuus and salsas)
    I also always get the individual shelf-stable bowls of quinoa--perfect with chicken for a quick lunch or in your desk for a snack.

http://www.minsley.com/products-pack-quinoa6.php
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Frozen pineapple
    Frozen blueberries
    Frozen mango
    Paper towels toilet paper
    Rotisserie chicken
    Peppers watermelon
    Pork loin. For about 16 $$ you get four loins instead of two at reg grocery
    Ground turkey
    Ribeye steaks( not every week)
    Half and half
    Greek yogurt
    G2
    Pure protein bars
    Tide
    Body wash
    Olive oil
    Cento San Marzano tomatoes. Great buy. Very low sodium
    Chicken broth
    Ziplock storage bags
    Roasted red peppers in water
    Artichoke hearts in water
    Toothpaste
    Clorox
    Socks
    Sheetpans
    Kitchen ware

My neighbors used to call me Mrs Bulk.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I dunno what types of foods you eat but we typically buy a lot of our food there;

yellow potatoes
    sweet onions
    brussell sprouts
    asparagus
    organic lettuce
    organic salad mix
    organic cucumbers
    organic tomatoes
    watermelon
    cherries
    organic strawberries
    snowpeas (probably not in season anymore)
    pineapple
    avocados
    organic apples (when the orchard isn't ready yet)
    organic frozen broccoli
    organic frozen Normandy mix (broccoli, cauliflower, yellow and orange carrots)
    eggs
    nondairy milk (for husband, I buy mine at Trader joe's)
    pomegranate juice
    oatmeal/steel cut oats
    organic peanut butter
    organic jam
    organic canned beans
    organic flour
    organic sugar
    organic salsa
    hot sauce
    spices
    organic tomato paste/ diced tomatoes (lower in salt and taste AMAZING)
    organic unsulphured dried fruits
    rarely organic canned veggies
    Basmati rice
    white rice

We used to buy milk for our foster kids there, yogurt, cream, broths, but we don't eat that stuff. I've also bought meat there but honestly ugh.... It doesn't taste great except maybe the grass fed beef but I don't eat beef except maybe once a year :laugh:
    The rest of my groceries usually come from Trader Joe's and then rarely a few bulk items from Whole Foods. I'm also blessed to have a Costco that is really taking a stand on organics, I know a lot of them don't.

Oh and to the people saying "Costco isn't that great" I really beg to deffer with you! We're a household of 2 and as long as you buy a realistic amount of food you save a ton of money. We like frozen veggies to fill our freezer and use them throughout the month and such. I also make like homemade bread and stuff.

EDIT: Oh and none food items would be things like tide or color bleach, diapers if you have kids, pet foods, bottled water, paper towels, baby wipes, Kleenex, aluminum foil, food gloves, seasonal clothing, batteries, kitchen supplies, office supplies, vitamins, protein powder (they have this vegan brand that is like 30g of protein a serving), they also have a good deal on things like toothpaste and mouthwash but I buy mine at whole foods.
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Organic eggs! Best price of any I've seen at any store.
    Rotisserie chicken--I buy a few, take them apart, and freeze in individual portions.
    Produce can be hit or miss depending on where you are. We bought organic spinach a few times in a row and had it go bad very quickly, so I stopped buying that.
    Olive oil and coconut oil are great options too.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Any other dry good suggestions? I'm hoping to last a good part of the semester on this haul.
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Coaches Oats--steel cut oatmeal
    Mixes nuts
    Turkey/Beef Jerky
    Canned Turna
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I love the veggie patch chickpea patties and the roasted seaweed.
  • Zonny
    Zonny Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Their ground pork is fairly lean, and not difficult to make your own fairly low-cal sausage patties. Look up Biggest Winner Sausage Patties.

Baby carrots, broccoli and spinach are staples for us, and the superfood salad is also popular with us.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Previous posters have pretty much covered everything, I think.

I like to buy my snacks there in bulk, if I need something now VS waiting for what I want to be shipped.

2e5mf08.jpg

This^ ... Chocolate covered raisins, pomegranates etc
    Almonds
    Peanuts [buy the salted here and pick up some unsalted from Trader Joe's and mix the two batches together]
    Pre-chopped veggies and fruits
    Oatmeal

ETA: Spices
    Fish ~ Salmon, Cod, Halibut, Shrimps
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Any other dry good suggestions? I'm hoping to last a good part of the semester on this haul.
    They have a quinoa and brown rice side dish that is pretty good. It's not "dry" but in a microwave package and shelf stable.
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do you eat the turkey breast sliced as a meal or on sandwiches? Or do you do something else with it?

My boyfriend makes sandwiches almost twice daily when we have this in the house
    I mostly chop it and add it to green salads along with with diced apples and avocado

My mother once pulled one of these out of the freezer when she had 8 extra people unexpectedly show up at her Christmas party. She nuked it till it was warm, sliced it, and put it out alongside the 'propper' bird, but said nothing. People raved about the CostCo turkey more than they did the other one.

Like I said, it freezes well. I usually buy 2-3, cut each in half, and wrap them individually so that I can pull out half a breast as needed. The things can be huge.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I love "Thanksgiving" sandwiches
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Cedar lane quinoa spinach patties (by the tofu)
    Tofu (cheaper than meat!)
    Light chocolate muscle milk is on sale this month
    Mr jack's salsa.
    President feta
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    There are no-refrigeration quinoa bowls, quinoa & brow rice sachets, easy Mac is on sale this month (individual serving tubs). I recommend getting some seasoning- esp the Italian herb blend. It can help you not hate the aforementioned quinoa and Mac and cheese when you've been eating it for months.

Jars of peaches are awesome. They're in a light syrup and re sealable. Look at all of the jarred fruits and veggies. The canned goods are great if you have Tupperware. I love the drum of chickpeas. Amy's brand soups are only 2 servings per can and REALLY good. Our costco has Indian lentil sachets- Madras Lentils. That are no refrigeration, pop in the microwave 60 seconds, kind of thing.

Onions can keep for months if you store them properly.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    They have a quinoa and brown rice side dish that is pretty good. It's not "dry" but in a microwave package and shelf stable.

The brown rice/quinoa dish is yummy!! But be cautious... It's pretty dense calorie-wise
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Chicken sausage
    Egg whites
    Mini baby bell lights
    Spinach

How do you prepare and/or eat the Chicken Sausage?

Just grill it up. I serve it with Farro and spinach, or cut it up in an omelette. And just yesterday, I made black bean pasta (also Costco ) with fresh tomatoes and peppers and cut up some sausage into it. Mmmm...