Why am I not losing weight?

Options
I've been exercising and eating healthy.
Here is the breakdown:
5’3 --- 148lb
Cardio for 20-30min each day and just started weight training this week
Work out machine say’s “burned 250calories”
Got diet of 1,500 calories/day
Eating mostly protein and small amount of carbs for breakfast and lunch.
Eating protein, veggies and fruits for dinner.

What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Have ou taken body measurements. You may be losing inches! Don't be discouraged. Keep up the hard work. Add me!
  • hks2456
    hks2456 Posts: 8
    Options
    No, I haven't been measuring. But, I remember before when I work out and watch what I eat, I will drop pounnds. This time around I haven't been able to drop the pounds. I wasn't sure if I am doing something wrong or maybe i'm not exercizing enough. I work out 5 days a week.
  • shawruff
    shawruff Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A couple of items to note - the machines are not as accurate as you think in calculating calorie expenditures and are you weighing and measuring all your food.

Also you didn't mention how long you have been dieting and working out. Finally, AGE, does play a big part in weight lose.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    It's possible you're eating too much protein, which might contribute to gaining more muscle mass. Also, drinking water helps! Good luck!

No, this isn't possible. She's not gaining muscle.

OP, your ticker says you've lost 18 pounds. Can you give us more details? How long since you've seen a drop in weight? Are you weighing and measuring everything? It could be water retention, could be inaccurate logging.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It's possible you're eating too much protein, which might contribute to gaining more muscle mass. Also, drinking water helps! Good luck!
    If this was possible, I would look like a cloud right now because of so much muscle.
  • hks2456
    hks2456 Posts: 8
    Options
    I haven't updated my profile! I will do that soon.
    When I first started I was 180lb lost all the way to 120lb.
    Took few years off and gained 28lb so now I am 148lb.
    I started about 2.5 weeks ago. Been really really careful what I am eating and even add extra calorie on my count to make sure I'm not over eating.
    When I was losing weight before, I was able to drop pounds easily. But, this time around, I am not losing.
    Oh, and I do feel sore so I know i am working my muscle but I just dont know why I am not losing any lb :(
  • zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you just started lifting this week, chances are that your body is retaining water. This happens when you begin a new exercise program. Should fall off in 2-6 weeks. Don't let it get you discouraged, because you'll be losing inches which the scale doesn't show!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It can be water retention due to the exercise. Are you weighing and measuring your food? If not, it's possible you're eating much more than you think.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Possible answers:
    1) You are expecting too much too soon
    2) You are logging incorrectly, either eating more or less than you think.
    3) Your deficit is too large or too small. Likely too large based on what most people on MFP forums share as their current deficit.
    4) Relying too much on exercise to lose weight. Exercise is not going to help you lose weight if you don't have an understanding of your dietary needs.
    5) You are following MFP's net calorie method and are not "eating back" your exercise calories, thus bringing us back to point 3.

Calculate your TDEE, subtract 20% from it max, and compare that number to your current consumption. If it's not that far off, then just be patient. If you're a few hyundred or more off, then consider changing your caloric goals.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Not enough calories
    Not enough Water
    Not enough sleep
    Too much stress/exercise
    You don't stay active AFTER you workout
    Not enough good fats
    You haven't waited at least 2 months
    Eating too many carbs
  • fitnessnut0143
    Options
    Cut the carbs and drink more water. You'll drop weight faster than a cannon.
  • nvtvshvsuraya
    nvtvshvsuraya Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe youre not drinking enough water .. or maybe the fat is replaced with muscle ... dont let the scale worry you .. the best teacher is the mirror .. dont lose hope you can do It !
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    This thread is from August. Either she figured out what was going wrong or she quit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Maybe youre not drinking enough water .. or maybe the fat is replaced with muscle ... dont let the scale worry you .. the best teacher is the mirror .. dont lose hope you can do It !

One does not just "replace fat with muscle" in a deficit (with the exception of newbie gains), it's extremely hard to gain muscle. With the information provided, 20 min of cardio a day, explain to me how they are "gaining" muscle??? Do you see strength training involved?

OP, can you open your diary, are you weighing and measuring your food? How long have you been doing this?