Knee Sleeves for novice weight lifter - reccomend

Options
I've been weight training (at varying intensities) for about a year, but have really picked it up in the past 2 months. I'm looking to get a set of knee sleeves to wear while squatting for joint protection, can anyone recommend me a particular style or brand? I'm 21, 140lbs and have just hit a bodyweight squat PR. I'm not sure how much my needs would differ from a 77 year old woman with arthritis haha

Replies

• 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this also.

I tried a sleeve once and had to take it back because it was too small. If you end up getting one, be sure to try it on before leaving the store.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well wraps are going to help you put up more weight- like a belt- you don't need it- it's just an aide. But you should be able to squat more than 140 without them.

Ultimately though- the pull up ones are the easiest- but they don't give you as much juice as compared to the wrap ones- those just take forever- you waste a lot of time wrapping and unwrapping. Not worth it IMHO.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    The best knee sleeves can't be bought in a store. Try either Rehband or SBD. You may find Rehand's easier to use because they are shorter and the material isn't as thick as sbd's

Knee sleeves =/= knee wraps. Knee wraps are designed to add pounds to you lifts. They are typically meant to be worn for one lift and, if used as they are designed, are painful. Knee sleeves are meant to keep your knee joint warm and free from injury and should be able to be worn for the duration of your work out.

Both sites has sizing charts. If you follow them, your size should be fine.

www.rehband.com
    http://www.sbdapparel.com/

I hope this helps.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    The best knee sleeves can't be bought in a store. Try either Rehband or SBD. You may find Rehand's easier to use because they are shorter and the material isn't as thick as sbd's

Knee sleeves =/= knee wraps. Knee wraps are designed to add pounds to you lifts. They are typically meant to be worn for one lift and, if used as they are designed, are painful. Knee sleeves are meant to keep your knee joint warm and free from injury and should be able to be worn for the duration of your work out.

www.rehband.com

I hope this helps.

Good advice. I use the Rehbands myself and leave them on for the entirety of my squat workout. I'm sure they do give you a little spring, but it's a LITTLE. Like 5lbs tops.
  • juliewatkin
    Options

www.rehband.com

I hope this helps.

Good advice. I use the Rehbands myself and leave them on for the entirety of my squat workout. I'm sure they do give you a little spring, but it's a LITTLE. Like 5lbs tops.
    Yeah. I get very little from my rehbands but more from my SBDs. They aren't really designed to give carryover though which is why they are used in unequipped meets. I think sometimes there is confusion between wraps and sleeves. All you need to understand the difference is to have a team mate crank a pair of wraps up before you go out to compete and you can't bend your legs to walk or feel your feet. That right there clears up a ton of confusion.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    personally wouldn't recommend any sleeve, brace, belt or wrap unless you already experience pain during whatever activity it is

would rather develop without them

if its part of a sport you participate in then thats different
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Simple opinion here, but you should be working on making sure your joints are strong enough to proceed without wrapping, unless you rehabbing an injury, and doing it under a pro's supervision.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Prttybyrd
    Prttybyrd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting on and off for a few years. I just bought my first knee sleeves- Rehbands- and I can't believe I have been lifting for so long without them. Definitely worth it. Got them on Amazon.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    personally wouldn't recommend any sleeve, brace, belt or wrap unless you already experience pain during whatever activity it is

So what you're saying is that I should wait until after I'm inured to use an injury-prevention accessory?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

So what you're saying is that I should wait until after I'm inured to use an injury-prevention accessory?

Suspect he was confusing wraps with sleeves. Either way, I'm a fan of Rehbands.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Bump for info.
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    Simple opinion here, but you should be working on making sure your joints are strong enough to proceed without wrapping, unless you rehabbing an injury, and doing it under a pro's supervision.

Sleeves don't support the joint. They keep it warm. Wraps are supportive. Sleeves are not.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

Sleeves don't support the joint. They keep it warm. Wraps are supportive. Sleeves are not.

either way i'd just rather not employ the equipment if i don't have to. its not the only way to keep a joint warm.
    but if thats really all it does then i'd have much less objection to using it, however i would think some activity that naturally warmed the joint and brought blood to it would be even better at preventing injury.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options

either way i'd just rather not employ the equipment if i don't have to. its not the only way to keep a joint warm.
    but if thats really all it does then i'd have much less objection to using it, however i would think some activity that naturally warmed the joint and brought blood to it would be even better at preventing injury.

this makes no sense.knee sleeves keep you warm which is good. they dont add pounds and are not supportive. they dont lower any sort of "joint strength" gains.

i recently tried sleeves, and I felt 123.4% better.
    SBD's are probably the best, rehbands are good but suck if you sweat a lot.

dyel
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

If we're going that route, why not workout naked? We shouldn't be relying on clothes to keep us warm and\or remove sweat etc..

In all seriousness, I never get the anti-equipment feelings that people have. If someone wants to use a belt\wraps\whatever else, then as long as they are not risking hurting themselves or others, why not? Unless you are competing, there are no rules about what you can or can't use to train, if something makes you psychologically more comfortable and confident or provides more enjoyment, why not?

It's like guys who have big upper bodies, and don't ever work legs. Personally it's not for me, and I think it looks silly, but if that's what they enjoy, I'm not going to stop them, as no one is being harmed.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Check out the selection of knee/elbow sleeves on liftinglarge.com . They have some from other manufacturers, but the Crusher series are their brand. They are a two ply sleeve which gives some support while providing joint warmth also. I use these personally and I like them a lot. The only downside to these sleeves is that if you ever decide to compete in powerlifting, they aren't competition legal in most raw federations because they are multiply.