How accurate are gym machines and how many calories do you t

cupcakelover103
cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay so i just got off the tredmill. The machine said i burned about 558 calories in 60 minutes (and i did work by butt of). But i know that these machines often overestimate calorie burn. So, i know i can't get an accurate number without a heart rate monitor, but if you had to guestimate how many do you think i burned and how many do you generally think these machines overestimate by? I just want to get a close a number as possible :)

Replies

• Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    I think they are fairly accurate if you have the ability to enter your weight, but I read somewhere to take off 10 - 15% for a true calorie burn
  • I wear a HRM when I'm on the machines and the HRM says I burn more then what the machines say by about 10%
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    I wear a HRM when I'm on the machines and the HRM says I burn more then what the machines say by about 10%

Wow thats good to know....usually if the machine says I burned 500 calories I put in 450.
  • aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    I used the treadmill for 30 minutes yesterday with it measuring my heart rate as well as my HRM on and they both said roughly the same.
  • cupcakelover103
    cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
    Oooh i hope that is true! I guess it depends if they ask for you to enter your age/weight etc. I ended up taking off about 15% of the calorie burn, just because well i guess its better to underestimate by a little right?
    Man, i really should get a heart rate monitor!
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    they're never close for me. I just got a hrm and it shows 100 or more LESS than what the machine or mfp says I've burned. big bummer!
  • HW2Hottie
    HW2Hottie Posts: 100
    they're never close for me. I just got a hrm and it shows 100 or more LESS than what the machine or mfp says I've burned. big bummer!

That is the same for me. It is about 100 off the HRM. I will say that I didn't get an expensive HRM. Mine was 30 bucks at Academy.
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member

That is the same for me. It is about 100 off the HRM. I will say that I didn't get an expensive HRM. Mine was 30 bucks at Academy.

mine was $80 something..still not as pricey as it could be but i still go by it so atleast im not over calculating. i rather be under (I guess? lol)
This discussion has been closed.